Rating Thread Options
low carb paleo bread recipe
Post: #1 low carb paleo bread recipe , 01-12-2013 12:58 AM
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2013 12:28 AM by LindaSue.)

Advanced Low-Carber

Finally hit on a delicious low carb paleo bread recipe. It is moist, buttery, and delicious even without butter. The low carbers and carbivores in our family were crazy about it when I served it at dinner the other night--even the finicky 6 year old. Please try it out, and let me know what you think.

Recipe at

thinandthinner.net

Visit my low carb blog: thinandthinner.net
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 01-12-2013 01:00 PM

The cauliflower is an interesting addition. I suppose that's kind of like making zucchini bread or carrot cake though, so why not?

My sites:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
In the Kitchen with Linda Blog
Post: #3 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 01-12-2013 01:39 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

(01-12-2013 01:00 PM)LindaSue Wrote:  The cauliflower is an interesting addition. I suppose that's kind of like making zucchini bread or carrot cake though, so why not?

Zucchini bread was the inspiration. I had purchased 6 loaves of the paleo coconut bread from a well-known bakery, and all 6 loaves (minus 1 slice) are still sitting in the freezer because they are so dry. I was very disappointed. Since then, I have tried several low carb paleo recipes for loaf bread, but the flax taste always overpowers. Then, I started thinking about zuchinni bread and how moist and delicious it is. But, I wanted bread with a more neutral taste. This bread is the result of that idea, and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for responding, Linda Sue. Please let me know what you think if you try it out.

Ida

Post: #4 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 01-13-2013 03:59 AM

Expert Low-Carber

Hmmmm. I'll have to try this one out. Sounds like a great idea.
Post: #5 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 01-13-2013 05:59 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

(01-13-2013 03:59 AM)Texasgoldengirl Wrote:  Hmmmm. I'll have to try this one out. Sounds like a great idea.

Hi Texas,

I'd love to know what you think of it!

Ida

Post: #6 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 01-13-2013 09:08 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

Sounds great. I'll have to try this.

Karen

Keep you head up and your carbs low.
Post: #7 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 01-14-2013 10:03 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

(01-13-2013 09:08 PM)atargatis65 Wrote:  Sounds great. I'll have to try this.

With a good bread, so much is possible. I just had an open-faced hot turkey sandwich on 2 slices of this bread, and it was delicious. Keep me posted if you try it!

Ida

Post: #8 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 01-25-2013 09:53 AM

Junior Low-Carber

HI

I baked this bread yesterday and it was much more like a cake flavour and texture....

I didn't use it as bread but drizzled butter and a very small amt of sugar free syrup over it while it was warm...that was very nice..

Thanks for the recipe Smile
Post: #9 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 01-25-2013 01:23 PM

I haven't tried the recipe yet, but my impression was that it would be more like a quick bread than a yeast bread. Quick breads are a lot like cake but in loaf form.

My sites:
Post: #10 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 01-25-2013 09:41 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

(01-25-2013 09:53 AM)**Debs** Wrote:  HI

I baked this bread yesterday and it was much more like a cake flavour and texture....

I didn't use it as bread but drizzled butter and a very small amt of sugar free syrup over it while it was warm...that was very nice..

Thanks for the recipe Smile

I am so glad that you liked it! Thanks, Debs!

Ida

Post: #11 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 01-25-2013 10:31 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2013 10:47 PM by Texasgoldengirl.)

Expert Low-Carber

I tried it today and it ABSOLUTELY has the best texture of any gluten free, low carb bread I have tried so far. I LOVED IT!

I did not add the sweetener as I was afraid it would have a sweet taste which in retrospect might have masked the cauiflower flavor which wasn't strong at all, but it tasted a little like cauliflower just like zucchini bread tastes a little like zucchini. I love cauliflower so it definitely works for me. I also imagine that by just switching the type of grated vegetable before microwaving, the flavor can be changed for the sake of variety and in case someone is not a big cauliflower fan like me.

I was wondering what it would be like with grated pumpkin, some sweetener for sure this time and some pumpin pie spices. I think it could make a delicious pumpkin bread. I don't know if one would need raw grated pumpkin though or if canned pumpkin would work? Maybe some of you good cooks out there might know?

Just a tip for anyone who tries this recipe. Microwaves can vary quite a bit. I only needed to microwave half a grated cauliflower for 4 minutes rather than 8.

This is definitely going to be my very favorite gluten free, low carb bread recipe! Healthy too. Caulflower is one of the cruciferous vegetables that has cancer preventative qualities, and like broccoli the cancer preventative compounds increase when cooked (rather than eaten raw).

Yay!
Post: #12 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 01-26-2013 12:56 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

Thanks, Texas! I am so excited that you can use it! You give such excellent feedback! Using pumpkin and pumpkin spices as an alternative to the cauliflower to make pumpkin bread sounds awesome, too! I am going to have to try it. We could probably have a lot of different variations of the bread, and that will keep our low-carb paleo lifestyle healthy and satisfying! Thanks again for your comments!

Ida

Post: #13 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 01-26-2013 04:05 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2013 05:11 PM by Texasgoldengirl.)

Expert Low-Carber

As an extra bonus, when I put this in a program, it turns out that the bread by iteself before even adding butter is

VERY LOW CARB, VERY NIGH FAT as in
71.22 % fat,
14.39 % protein, and
14.39 % carbs (less because of the fiber content i.e. effective carbs).

with the added advantage that one gets all the lignans, phytonutrients and fiber from the whole (ground) nuts (almonds) whereas if one just put almond oil on salad, the healthy lignans, phytonutrients and fiber would be missing.

I couldn't find anything about whether baking with almond flour damages the oils, but baking with flaxseed (as opposed to flax oil) does NOT damage the oils especially in bread ...something about the moisture inside the bread etc. and how high the heat in oven is, etc. I did find the following article (link) that explains why it is okay to bake with flaxseeds (which have a whole lot more fragile polyunsaturated fat than almonds). Thus if the oil in flaxseeds is not damaged if baked, the oil in ground almonds certainly shouldn't be either.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=18

Also heating (as in baking) the nuts or soaking the nuts removes the phytic acid. Here's a link from Mark's Daily Apple talking about that.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/nuts-and-...z2J6TpYpST

In summary, this is a very healthy low carb, high fat recipe. I keep saying over and over that my short stay in the vegan community revealed to me at some level (that I keep trying to piece together) that the healthy, slender vegans don't realize it but often inadventently eat a high fat, low carb diet because of all the nuts and greens they eat.

Obviously this recipe is not vegan because of the eggs, but is ideal for any laco-octo vegetarians. It has enough protein (with all the essential amino acids). Eat 2 or 3 slices of this bread with some salad...and that's a whole meal. No meat necessary. In fact adding meat would change the percentages. Jimmy went for 80% fat in his recent n=1 experiment.

Since I want to do this as a lacto-octo vegetarian, I get really excited about recipes like this!
Post: #14 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 01-27-2013 11:55 AM

Newbie Low-Carber

(01-12-2013 12:58 AM)Ida1 Wrote:  Finally hit on a delicious low carb paleo bread recipe. It is moist, buttery, and delicious even without butter. The low carbers and carbivores in our family were crazy about it when I served it at dinner the other night--even the finicky 6 year old. Please try it out, and let me know what you think.

Recipe at

thinandthinner.net

I tried making the paleo bread but did not have a loaf pan to bake it in so I used a square Pyrex dish.

It looked delicious when I pulled it out of the oven. Although, I was perplexed at how I was going to slice it… I ended up cutting it into squares and then slicing them down the center to make biscuits.

Since I made the recipe I have prepared the paleo biscuits open face with a slice of melted mozzarella cheese on top for breakfast every morning. They are delicious! Great flavor, very moist, and has the consistency of a hearty, homemade bread.

I think what is unbelievable about the bread is how long it keeps me satiated. I can go from breakfast (8am) to lunch (just passed noon) without craving a mid morning snack, which is rare. This mini meal is magical!

.jpg  Paleo Biscuits Thinandthinner.net.jpg (Size: 76.76 KB / Downloads: 9)
Post: #15 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 01-27-2013 01:52 PM

Great idea, Emily, and welcome to the forum.

My sites:
Post: #16 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 02-04-2013 05:15 AM

Expert Low-Carber

I made this today with 1/2 cup canned pumpkin instead of cauliflower rice as I forgot to get cauliflower when I went to the grocery store, but I did still have a can of pumpkin (from the low carb pumpkin pie I never got around to making at thanksgiving).

I did not add sweetner as I like to eat a couple slices of this bread with fried eggs and wasn't interested in dessert.

It tasted great with some butter on it even without any sweetner or pumpkin pie spices. It's a little quicker as one doesn't have to make the cauliflower rice first.

Eating two slices a day with fried eggs for breakfast, a loaf lasts me about a week.
Post: #17 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 02-04-2013 09:25 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

(02-04-2013 05:15 AM)Texasgoldengirl Wrote:  I made this today with 1/2 cup canned pumpkin instead of cauliflower rice as I forgot to get cauliflower when I went to the grocery store, but I did still have a can of pumpkin (from the low carb pumpkin pie I never got around to making at thanksgiving).

I did not add sweetner as I like to eat a couple slices of this bread with fried eggs and wasn't interested in dessert.

It tasted great with some butter on it even without any sweetner or pumpkin pie spices. It's a little quicker as one doesn't have to make the cauliflower rice first.

Eating two slices a day with fried eggs for breakfast, a loaf lasts me about a week.

That sounds wonderful! I am going to have to try it with the pumpkin. It sure would make the recipe easier (without having to make the cauliflower rice!) I can't wait to try it! Thanks, Texas!

Post: #18 RE: low carb paleo bread recipe , 05-09-2013 08:25 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2013 08:26 PM by Ida1.)

Advanced Low-Carber

I just tried the low carb paleo bread recipe, substituting 1/2 cup of zuchinni for the 1/2 cup of cauliflower. It is delicious! My husband gives it 2 thumbs up!

To use zuchinni in the recipe, shred 3 small peeled zuchinni. Microwave (or heat on the stove) for 8 minutes. Strain, squeezing out as much liquid as possible. Use 1/2 cup of the strained zuchinni in the bread recipe, and leave out the cauliflower.

We love this bread!

Find the recipe at

thinandthinner.net

Note: It is especially good with Honeyville blanched almond flour!