Rating Thread Options
“Protein is the New Carbohydrate” and Why to Ditch the Low-Carb Catechism
Post: #1 “Protein is the New Carbohydrate” and Why to Ditch the Low-Carb Catechism , 12-04-2012 08:52 PM

Administrator

“Protein is the New Carbohydrate” and Why to Ditch the Low-Carb Catechism (Sorry Jimmy) by Richard Nikoley at the "Free The Animal" blog: http://freetheanimal.com/2012/12/protein...jimmy.html ~ It's never a dull moment with Richard and he has a right to his opinion about my nutritional ketosis n=1 experiment. While he might be able to eat 30 potatoes a day and get away with it, I cannot. No matter what the mechanism is about NK that is working for me, the fact is it is working and I'm very happy about that. As I always say, find what works for you, follow it exactly as described and then keep doing it. Whether that's veganism, safe starch-loaded Paleo, or even a ketogenic low-carb, moderate protein, high-fat diet, it's all good. In the end, it's YOUR health that matters the most.

Jimmy Moore, "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Discussion" forum owner
KETO CLARITY: http://tinyurl.com/KetoClarity
CHOLESTEROL CLARITY: http://tinyurl.com/CholesterolClarity
OFFICIAL WEB SITE: http://www.livinlavidalowcarb.com
BLOG: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog
LLVLC PODCAST: http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/LLVLC
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/livinlowcarbman
LOW-CARB CONVERSATIONS: http://www.lowcarbconversations.com
VIDEOS: http://www.youtube.com/livinlowcarbman
E-MAIL ME: livinlowcarbman@charter.net
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: “Protein is the New Carbohydrate” and Why to Ditch the Low-Carb Catechism , 12-04-2012 09:28 PM

Senior Low-Carber

I haven't been tracking individuals, but it seems to me that the people who are the most scornful and disbelieving of NK or low carb in general are those who have healthy metabolisms and could probably lose weight no matter what they ate as long as they reduced calories for a while.

It's probably not possible to ever convince someone like that (and not just this guy--any of them--who scoff at low carb and the variations thereof) about the efficacy of such individualization around low carb eating.

They're lucky and fortunate to have bodies and metabolisms that work well while eating carbs and a more traditional diet. However, I consider myself lucky to have finally figured out what makes MY body work better and feel better. They can scoff as much as they like...my success won't change anyone's mind, and their opinions won't change my mind.
Post: #3 RE: “Protein is the New Carbohydrate” and Why to Ditch the Low-Carb Catechism , 12-05-2012 12:38 AM
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2012 12:39 AM by goalie.)

Junior Low-Carber

People like to believe we are all like lawnmowers, or other machines, not giving appreciation to the fact that we're all so different. Pretty sad in my opinion.
Post: #4 RE: “Protein is the New Carbohydrate” and Why to Ditch the Low-Carb Catechism , 12-05-2012 09:41 AM

Unregistered

""Nutritional ketosis" is a non-concept piled upon an existing non-concept."

Uh huh, sure.

Nikoley has let his popularity in the goofy regions of Paleo go to his head. He's like Faux News, telling the crazy people what they want to hear.
Post: #5 RE: “Protein is the New Carbohydrate” and Why to Ditch the Low-Carb Catechism , 12-05-2012 10:25 AM

Expert Low-Carber

+1

People who have not struggled with insulin problems just don't get it. In some ways I am envious. Smile

Mackay Rippey

Has your weight loss stalled because your body clock is out of sync?
Check out the Kung Fu Weight Loss Guide to Resetting Your Body Clock
Post: #6 RE: “Protein is the New Carbohydrate” and Why to Ditch the Low-Carb Catechism , 12-05-2012 12:08 PM

Unregistered

(12-05-2012 10:25 AM)Mackay Wrote:  +1

People who have not struggled with insulin problems just don't get it. In some ways I am envious. Smile

Yes, exactly.

All the high level fussing over what is best is because of this insulin resistance question. If you have it, you know it and know what to do (hopefully). If you don't have it, you don't believe it can be real.

People like Nikoley who have not experienced insulin resistance have no business preaching to those who do. To put it nicely, he's an ignorant blowhard running his mouth about something he does not accept or understand.

I guess that is Paleo too. I'm sure plenty of men in pre-history were ignorant know-it-alls as well, so there is evolutionary value there somewhere.... Smile
Post: #7 RE: “Protein is the New Carbohydrate” and Why to Ditch the Low-Carb Catechism , 12-05-2012 12:38 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Ever since Nikoley joined the Guyenet camp after that "food reward" lecture, I've been a bit skeptical about his nutritional beliefs.

As far as I remember, Jimmy did a standard paleo diet for a while, and it did nothing for his weight. The weight didn't start dropping until he cranked up his fat intake. In what way can this be a "non-concept"?
Post: #8 RE: “Protein is the New Carbohydrate” and Why to Ditch the Low-Carb Catechism , 12-05-2012 12:58 PM

Unregistered

(12-05-2012 12:38 PM)weeji Wrote:  Ever since Nikoley joined the Guyenet camp after that "food reward" lecture, I've been a bit skeptical about his nutritional beliefs.

True that.

Guyenet and "food reward" basically put much of Paleo in the crazy column, which is too bad.

Sometimes I wish I had more time to plan and hitt the big conferences, but when I read about people like Guyenet and Nikoley speaking at them, I wonder why I would bother. I wouldn't walk across the street to listen to them right now!
Post: #9 RE: “Protein is the New Carbohydrate” and Why to Ditch the Low-Carb Catechism , 12-05-2012 01:45 PM
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2012 02:53 PM by Texasgoldengirl.)

Expert Low-Carber

People just continually project their own stuff out on everyone else. If what they did worked for them, then that means everyone should do what they do.

One of the things I appreciate about Jimmy is the fact that he realizes that people are different with different metabolic challenges and that there is no one size fits all food program.

This guy isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer or he could see that some people are so insulin resistant or diabetic that fat is the ONLY thing they don't have to be careful about adding to their diet.

Since fat doesn't affect blood sugar at all, it makes perfect sense too.
Post: #10 RE: “Protein is the New Carbohydrate” and Why to Ditch the Low-Carb Catechism , 12-05-2012 03:03 PM

Junior Low-Carber

Didn't Nikoley loose weight doing low-carb? If I am not mistaken he even did a lecture for the '21 Convention' on the same topic...

Funny how folks just switch around despite evidence that stares them in the face...
Post: #11 RE: “Protein is the New Carbohydrate” and Why to Ditch the Low-Carb Catechism , 12-05-2012 03:39 PM

Unregistered

Another thought, if it really is all just calorie restriction and LC can't matter, why are these people calling themselves "Paleo?" Paleo can't matter either if it is all calorie restriction. Lets all just eat twinkles and count calories!
Post: #12 RE: “Protein is the New Carbohydrate” and Why to Ditch the Low-Carb Catechism , 12-05-2012 06:50 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(12-05-2012 03:03 PM)ahsanirfan Wrote:  Didn't Nikoley loose weight doing low-carb?
That's a difficult position to take though, as Jimmy admittedly lost about half(?) of his weight on a very low fat diet.
Post: #13 RE: “Protein is the New Carbohydrate” and Why to Ditch the Low-Carb Catechism , 12-05-2012 07:40 PM

Unregistered

People CAN lose weight on low fat, or LC, or low calorie, or just make one up. LC seems to have the advantages that people like us want, regardless if others agree or even believe it.

I don't care so much that some Paleo folks can't accept it, but they won't shut up! This turned me off Paleo just as I was really starting to like it. These people just wrecked what was starting to be a good thing.

I wonder where these Nikoley-type Paleo folks think early humans found all these carbs they love so much? And how is it omnivores can evolve over zillions of years and all food- fat, carbs, or protein is the same in terms of how the body works and stores energy? really? Why bother to be an omnivore then? These people are not even thinking about what they are saying.
Post: #14 RE: “Protein is the New Carbohydrate” and Why to Ditch the Low-Carb Catechism , 12-06-2012 12:29 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(12-05-2012 07:40 PM)DFH Wrote:  People CAN lose weight on low fat, or LC, or low calorie, or just make one up.

Absolutely! The real trick is then to be able to keep after it once the honeymoon phase is over, and the weight loss stalls out for a while, or the nutritional imbalances you have created take over.

500 calories a day for 6 months? You will loose weight. You will also have a brutal time maintaining any weight loss and/or transitioning into a sustainable diet.

Mackay Rippey

Has your weight loss stalled because your body clock is out of sync?
Check out the Kung Fu Weight Loss Guide to Resetting Your Body Clock