Rating Thread Options
Low Carb Salmon Loaf
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2012 06:22 PM by Texasgoldengirl.)

Expert Low-Carber

My grandma used to make salmon loaf that I still sometimes crave. Problem is grandma used crumbled saltine cracker crumbs (soda crackers) which is a big no no for low carbers especially gluten intolerant low carbers like me. Before I started doing very low carb, I had tried replacing crackers with oats but it just didn't cut it for me.

This morning after deciding one of the things that I liked about that salmon loaf was the soda crackers, I decided to add a little salt and some baking soda with coconut flour.

2 eggs
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1 teaspoons baking soda
dash of salt (to taste)
6 ounce can of pink salmon

1) Beat eggs and baking soda together. Add coconut flour. Beat or whisk until batter is smooth

2) Mix just enough batter with the salmon to make it the same consistency of a meatloaf or salmon loaf if using soda crackers. I had some batter left over.

3) Put bowl of mixture in microwave for about 1 minute. Then take out and mix well with a fork or spoon. Then form mixture in a ring around a microwave safe spacer of some kind on microwave safe plate.

I used a tiny little 2.5 inch souffle dish for the center. A silicone bundt pan would be great too if you could find one small enough or if cooking for a family, double or triple the recipe and use a regular sized bundt pan. (Microwaves don't cook the center well so the hole in the middle helps).

4) Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

Then I removed the spacer and heaped sauteed spinach in the center and all around the outside of the ring as well. It came out kinda pretty but I don't have a proper camera.

Without the sauteed spinach...just the salmon loaf, the nutritional information for the whole little loaf is:

380 calories
19 fat
10 carbs
6 fiber
4 effective grams of carbs
44 grams of protein

Protein 45.48%
Fat 44.19%
Carbs 10.34%
Quote this message in a reply

So how did it taste and how did it compare to Grandma's?

My sites:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
In the Kitchen with Linda Blog
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2012 06:23 PM by Texasgoldengirl.)

Expert Low-Carber

(06-30-2012 01:12 PM)LindaSue Wrote:  So how did it taste and how did it compare to Grandma's?

It tasted great to me! Just like Grandma's. I guess the baking soda and salt gave me the same flavor as soda crackers would have and the coconut flour taste didn't overpower the soda taste....probably because I added way more baking soda than one would use to make soda crackers. However, I made a type above. It should have been 1 teaspoon b.s. not 2 teaspoons....which I just edited and corrected.

Saltines really are made of just fat, white flour (which has no flavor at all) and baking soda..so apparently, the taste I was craving wasn't wall paper paste (white flour), but the soda and the salt from the saltines.

Don't know if it would satisfy everyone like it did me, but it was just what I was craving. The only problem now is that I shouldn't eat salmon more than a few times a week due to the mercury thing or I would feel like eating this every day.

I tried the same recipe today mashing up sardines since they don't have the mercury problems that salmon does, but didn't like it. I wish I could figure out a way to eat low carb sardines cuz no mercury problem there.