Rating Thread Options
Help struggling on low carb diet
Post: #1 Rolleyes Help struggling on low carb diet , 06-25-2012 10:37 AM
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2012 10:48 AM by Nenee.)

Junior Low-Carber

Hi there

Iv been on a low carb diet for 4 months now I'm 5 ft 3 " and weighed 9 st 12 lbs when I started I now weigh 8 st 12 lbs

I work out abOut 3 to 4 times per week at the gym but also walk my dog everyday

I'm finding I can't loose anymore weight (I want to loose 5 lbs more then I'm happy) I'm also feeling I'll when I don't eat many carbs with dizziness blurred vision feel sick and no energy but also feel depressed and short tempered

When I increase my carbs I can gain weight over night which is frustrating as I can't loose anymore

Iv been eating about 8o carbs a day all last week and around 1000 calories but put on a lb in weight :-( even after working out 4 times that week, when I eat about 20 to 50 carbs per day I loose about a 1lb a week but feel tired fuzzy hungry etc and headaches even if I up my protein it's like my body can't function on such low carbs

Iv been using soya milk as low in sugar(I prefer goats milk but more sugar) but iv heard its bad for hormones which I'm worried about as I'm 42 this year and suffer with pmt

I also went to my optometrist for an eye test and he told me I have fatty deposits in my eye that my cholesterol he feels is high and he's wrote to my doctor to do tests. I'm so worried as iv never had high cholesterol ever and I'm thinner??? He said he can see this in my eye??? I'm worried ;-(
I would really appreciate some advice as I'm not getting any further
Nenee
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: Help struggling on low carb diet , 06-25-2012 11:59 AM

Unregistered

Your body can function fine on low carb once it gets adapted. 80 g a day is not low carb. It looks like you are trying to starve yourself and are just guessing what to do. 1000 calories a day + 4 workouts a week is not a low carb problem. You may be tearing yourself up and rasing stress (cortisol) and making things worse.

Get rid of the soy milk.

The deposits in your eye have nothing to do with diet (not directly). Say thanks to the eye dr and throw any referrals you get about that in the trash.
Post: #3 RE: Help struggling on low carb diet , 06-25-2012 12:33 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2012 12:38 PM by Nenee.)

Junior Low-Carber

(06-25-2012 11:59 AM)DFH Wrote:  Your body can function fine on low carb once it gets adapted. 80 g a day is not low carb. It looks like you are trying to starve yourself and are just guessing what to do. 1000 calories a day + 4 workouts a week is not a low carb problem. You may be tearing yourself up and rasing stress (cortisol) and making things worse.

Get rid of the soy milk.

The deposits in your eye have nothing to do with diet (not directly). Say thanks to the eye dr and throw any referrals you get about that in the trash.

Hi there

I have been use to a low carb diet for over 4 weeks where i ate about 20 carbs a day, but it's lately I have no energy in doing so. So I introduced more carbs to help with energy and the dizziness which it did but I'm not loosing weight.

What amount of carbs should I be having to loose weight but also have energy and not feel dizzy and weak?

Should I increase protein and calories but reduce the carbs?

What dairy alternative milk would you recommend as I like coffee etc but can't drink it without I can use cows milk

Cheers
Nenee
Post: #4 RE: Help struggling on low carb diet , 06-25-2012 12:50 PM

Unregistered

I don't think the low energy was directly due to low carb and the only way to address it is more carbs again. This is the mistake Paleo is making right now, or some of them.

You don't need carbs unless you are a trained athlete and it is impossible to complete an event withoit some carbs to supplement food in.

If you are dizzy and weak, it can be that you have not done LC long enough and are not adapted, or you simply cut back all food so much you are running out of energy, and it makes it look like carbs bring that energy back, because that is what carbs do.

Overall I would be very, very skeptical of all "alternative/substitute" foods. I would not get near fake bread, fake milk, fake or fake anything. You should have real, whole food that makes sense for your body, not made-up products that look like food.

For coffee, I make Vietnamese iced coffee with a little heavy whipping cream instead of sweetened condensed milk, yum! It's very rich and very little carbs.
Post: #5 RE: Help struggling on low carb diet , 06-25-2012 01:06 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2012 01:08 PM by Nenee.)

Junior Low-Carber

(06-25-2012 12:50 PM)DFH Wrote:  I don't think the low energy was directly due to low carb and the only way to address it is more carbs again. This is the mistake Paleo is making right now, or some of them.

You don't need carbs unless you are a trained athlete and it is impossible to complete an event withoit some carbs to supplement food in.

If you are dizzy and weak, it can be that you have not done LC long enough and are not adapted, or you simply cut back all food so much you are running out of energy, and it makes it look like carbs bring that energy back, because that is what carbs do.

Overall I would be very, very skeptical of all "alternative/substitute" foods. I would not get near fake bread, fake milk, fake or fake anything. You should have real, whole food that makes sense for your body, not made-up products that look like food.

For coffee, I make Vietnamese iced coffee with a little heavy whipping cream instead of sweetened condensed milk, yum! It's very rich and very little carbs.

The only fake food I do have is the soya milk because I can't tolerate cows milk or cream but I'm ok with cheese which is odd?

As for low carb how much should I go back to? So I can kick start my body again, should I he eating more protein again so I'm not hungry or not eating enough calorie wise? I think I might of got to obsessive and reduced the amount I do eat and font always snack.

So final question ;-) if I were you what amount of carbs should I eat per day and should I snack in between on nuts cheese etc so I get my energy from protein hopefully ? Do you think my dizziness was due to not enough low carb foods and maybe iv gone into starvation mode exercising and not enough calories now?
Post: #6 RE: Help struggling on low carb diet , 06-25-2012 01:50 PM

Unregistered

It would be impossible to start specifying macros and grams without knowing a lot of details first.

I don't believe most claims of milk intolerace. My pet theory is that people have eaten gluten, wrecked their gut, and THEN milk is a problem, so they think it is loctose intolerance. I think it's inflammation due to gluten, which makes the gut hate just about anything.

I don't think people add protein in your case. Eating more and more protein to keep from being hungry will probably just convert to glucose, which defeats the purpose.

I think you want fat for fuel instead of carbs or protein, but you don't want to ruin nutrition at the same time. Make sure you mix it up get some variety. When I feel tired I first suspect b vitamins, not carb count.

My own calorie requirements are low due to past hormone problems, so I can just stay at a steady weight at 14/1,500 cal a day. This is not a lot of food so it's easy to forget something or not get enough of everything.

I also let my fingernails grow out so I can monitor the hardness and color. If they turn white and hard I know I am not eating right.
Post: #7 RE: Help struggling on low carb diet , 06-26-2012 10:11 AM

Senior Low-Carber

If you're only eating 1000 calories a day, that's probably not enough. When you don't eat enough your metabolism slows down to conserve energy instead of burning it. I'd increase your calories a couple hundred a day. Keep your carbs around 20-30 and make sure you're eating enough healthy fats. You should be eating low carb, moderate protein and high fat.

[Image: weight.png]
Post: #8 RE: Help struggling on low carb diet , 06-26-2012 10:49 AM

Unregistered

Here's something I wrote last year on the calorie restriction/metabolism problem people keep talking about-

http://dietforhumans.com/2011/03/09/why-...etabolism/
Post: #9 RE: Help struggling on low carb diet , 06-28-2012 10:31 AM

Expert Low-Carber

The calorie restriction works short term, but.......................

Dave Asprey, the Bulletproof Executive guy, talks about eating a high fat 4500 calorie diet without exercising to stay lean.

He's a younger man, so that may not work for all of us, but I agree with @DFH that we are as much calorie phobic as we are fat phobic.

Mackay Rippey

Has your weight loss stalled because your body clock is out of sync?
Check out the Kung Fu Weight Loss Guide to Resetting Your Body Clock
Post: #10 RE: Help struggling on low carb diet , 06-28-2012 11:48 AM

Unregistered

I'm not sure what to think about Asprey's claim. It's so remarkable that it most certainly would blow any ward-study-focused CICO model out the window.

If one person, just one, does not follow what people "think" the laws of thermo are, then it's not a law anymore. This would truly be a major development.

I think what is more likely is that if we knew all there was to know about Asprey's 4,500 calories and where it goes, we would understand CICO much better and why it's never as simple as people want it to be.

Either way, I'm not going to buy a mini-van to run to CostCo twice a week for that much food.
Post: #11 RE: Help struggling on low carb diet , 06-28-2012 12:06 PM

Newbie Low-Carber

Don't forget about the broth with sodium. I always feel bad when I'm not getting enough sodium/potassium/magnesium. Chicken broth with sea salt works wonders.
Post: #12 RE: Help struggling on low carb diet , 06-28-2012 12:19 PM

Junior Low-Carber

(06-28-2012 12:06 PM)aapcarbco Wrote:  Don't forget about the broth with sodium. I always feel bad when I'm not getting enough sodium/potassium/magnesium. Chicken broth with sea salt works wonders.

Hi

Thanks for all the advice. I think because iv stopped loosing weight on the low carb diet I then reduced the calories but also when I reduce my carbs I feel depressed and angry is this normal it's like I'm starving my brain :-(

I also feel lethargic and dizzy if I dint eat many carbs do any of you feel this way?

I then tried upping my carbs to 60 to 80 but reduced the calories and I out on weight

Iv gone back to basics today(I had a blow out in sugar yesterday lots of chocolate and biscuits and bread because I felt fed up and boy did I feel Ill!! I was bloated and couldn't keep awake!

What do you think of my diet today I had

Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon for breakfast(added cream to eggs)

Brazil nuts for a snack

Salmon and broccoli with Parmesan cheese on the broccoli for lunch

4 whole grain rice crackers with cheese( total carbs 22 grams)

For dinner we are having lamb steak with broccoli and green beans

I'm in work and need the rice crackers for energy before I go the gym after work

QUESTION: when you mention broth do you mean chicken stock? Sorry for silly question ;-(

Nenee
Post: #13 RE: Help struggling on low carb diet , 06-28-2012 01:58 PM

Senior Low-Carber

(06-28-2012 12:19 PM)Nenee Wrote:  
(06-28-2012 12:06 PM)aapcarbco Wrote:  Don't forget about the broth with sodium. I always feel bad when I'm not getting enough sodium/potassium/magnesium. Chicken broth with sea salt works wonders.

Hi

Thanks for all the advice. I think because iv stopped loosing weight on the low carb diet I then reduced the calories but also when I reduce my carbs I feel depressed and angry is this normal it's like I'm starving my brain :-(

I also feel lethargic and dizzy if I dint eat many carbs do any of you feel this way?

I then tried upping my carbs to 60 to 80 but reduced the calories and I out on weight

Iv gone back to basics today(I had a blow out in sugar yesterday lots of chocolate and biscuits and bread because I felt fed up and boy did I feel Ill!! I was bloated and couldn't keep awake!

Brazil nuts for a snack

I'm in work and need the rice crackers for energy before I go the gym after work

QUESTION: when you mention broth do you mean chicken stock? Sorry for silly question ;-(

Nenee

Other than the Rice Crackers looks like a pretty reasonable menu to me. I really believe you may be thinking you need the crackers (carbs) for energy when getting fully keto-adapted might take care of your needs in a way that would support your goals much better.

I really appreciate the feeling lethargic and dizzy and can only say make sure you eat plenty of salt (the reference to broth) drink plenty of fluid and hang in there. In my personal experience this dizzy weak period may take a week or more to pass after a carb binge and sounds like you really had one yesterday.

Good luck!
Post: #14 RE: Help struggling on low carb diet , 06-28-2012 02:24 PM

Junior Low-Carber

(06-28-2012 01:58 PM)Tacosaurus Wrote:  
(06-28-2012 12:19 PM)Nenee Wrote:  

Hi

Brazil nuts for a snack

Nenee

Other than the Rice Crackers looks like a pretty reasonable menu to me. I really believe you may be thinking you need the crackers (carbs) for energy when getting fully keto-adapted might take care of your needs in a way that would support your goals much better.

I really appreciate the feeling lethargic and dizzy and can only say make sure you eat plenty of salt (the reference to broth) drink plenty of fluid and hang in there. In my personal experience this dizzy weak period may take a week or more to pass after a carb binge and sounds like you really had one yesterday.

Good luck!

Hi ya

I was told to keep carbs under 50 to lose a good amount of fat , I hasn't had carbs all day(well 3 g at lunch) so I thought having rice crackers would be fine otherwise I'm living on very low carbs all day and it does effect me big time with feeling irritable depressed lack of memory in work etc. I did stuck it out for weeks on very low carbs but never got use to it

So am I not to have any carbs now? Because all my other meals didn't have many carbs and I thought I could have up to 50 carbs a day to burn fat off Elsie dilly that I'm going the gym 4 times a week and walking my dog I need some surely :-)
Post: #15 RE: Help struggling on low carb diet , 06-28-2012 04:45 PM

Unregistered

If you are going to keep burning sugar, you will remain a sugar-burner.

Take the time and effort to become keto-adapted by staying low carb and you can lose weight, and go ahead and burn sugar in the gym if you think you need to...but if you truly need to, you are spending too much time in the gym (unless you make money at it).