Rating Thread Options
"Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia
Post: #1 "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-22-2012 01:52 PM

Administrator

"Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia at the "War On Insulin" blog: http://waroninsulin.com/nutrition/why-we...-carb-diet ~ Do people following WW actually receive some success on it because it's actually a low-carb diet in disguise? Read what Dr. Attia has to say about this in a very thorough investigative look!

Jimmy Moore, "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Discussion" forum owner
KETO CLARITY: http://tinyurl.com/KetoClarity
CHOLESTEROL CLARITY: http://tinyurl.com/CholesterolClarity
OFFICIAL WEB SITE: http://www.livinlavidalowcarb.com
BLOG: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog
LLVLC PODCAST: http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/LLVLC
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/livinlowcarbman
LOW-CARB CONVERSATIONS: http://www.lowcarbconversations.com
VIDEOS: http://www.youtube.com/livinlowcarbman
E-MAIL ME: livinlowcarbman@charter.net
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-22-2012 02:18 PM

Unregistered

No. My mom has worked with WW for 20 years and it's not really LC, or even smart.

I don't think anyone can claim that it works great. It's better than cake and cookies. The main thing is that people meet regularly, weigh in, and put pressure on themselves to starve.
Post: #3 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-22-2012 02:46 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Great article! Even for someone like me, who is not scientifically minded - it was very easy to understand! Thanks, Jimmy....
Post: #4 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-22-2012 02:56 PM

Senior Low-Carber

Unless you're on the Twinkie/potato chip diet, I guess any diet is "low carb" compared to SAD.

[Image: weight.png]
Post: #5 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-22-2012 03:35 PM

Expert Low-Carber

I'm skeptical. The people I know doing Weight Watchers are not doing anything close to a low carb diet. And they're HUNGRY! LOL. Although the ones who somewhat limit their bread consumption tend to do better.
Post: #6 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-22-2012 03:38 PM

Senior Low-Carber

(02-22-2012 02:18 PM)DFH Wrote:  No. My mom has worked with WW for 20 years and it's not really LC, or even smart.

I don't think anyone can claim that it works great. It's better than cake and cookies. The main thing is that people meet regularly, weigh in, and put pressure on themselves to starve.

My observation on people who do WW is that it becomes a social club/support group for them and it is a cycle of sin and redemption (that's the only way I can think to describe it): they "sin" by not eating "right" and gaining weight; they are "redeemed" by going to the group and "confessing" then vowing to return to the "right" way of eating. Everyone cheers and smiles and hugs the redeemed sinner.

I've known people who have done this for decades and they are (1) always hungry and usually feel awful; (2) always worried about minute issues of their diet; (3) they spend an inordinate amount of time figuring out what they can have and trying to justify that cookie; and (4) they don't ever feel good, slide away from the program, and eventually regain the weight. Of course, even after a long lapse, one can always go back to WW and be redeemed and start the cycle all over again.

Sorry to sound to cynical about it but have watched friends do the WW yo-yo thing and fall into despair, blaming themselves because they don't understand their biology. WW is good at the blame aspect and that only discourages and alienates people further....but people continue to go back time after time, thinking that "THIS time I'll be good and make it work." Unfortunately, the ones I know are so indoctrinated into the WW mindset that they simply can't see any other way.

Why should I pay money to either have someone hug me because I managed to lose a pound, or blame me because I gained? Heck, isn't that what families and friends are for??
Post: #7 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-22-2012 03:44 PM

Expert Low-Carber

ALTHOUGH:

(just playing devil's advocate here)

Some people do not get that kind of support from their friends and family. A little support can go a long way.

And also, I have seen some of the same cycling on low carb forums as well. I don't think that is unique to Weight Watchers. But at least the low carbers are usually getting some better nutrition. Most of the time, anyway.
Post: #8 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-22-2012 04:04 PM

Unregistered

(02-22-2012 03:44 PM)delmoki Wrote:  ALTHOUGH:

(just playing devil's advocate here)

Some people do not get that kind of support from their friends and family. A little support can go a long way.

And also, I have seen some of the same cycling on low carb forums as well. I don't think that is unique to Weight Watchers. But at least the low carbers are usually getting some better nutrition. Most of the time, anyway.

The peer pressure thing does work, but they are doing it while pushing poor diet choices and false science. Let's put people on a diet that sets them up to fail unless they starve themselves, and then call it good when the starvation contest gets results.

No thanks.

WW are a bunch of charlatans.
Post: #9 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-22-2012 04:06 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Great point, Delmoki! I've seen the same cycling on both WOE's.
Post: #10 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-23-2012 01:31 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Very interesting point, Weezy. I do think there is that element of redemption and a new start, but delmoki is right in that I've seen that here too. But in my experience as a client and a leader for WW, I never ran across any "blame" on the part of the leaders. If there was a gain, it was focused on how to make things work better. For me, I would almost always ask first if they were eating ENOUGH, which was often the culprit. Yes, it's their own fault if they are undereating, but that's somehow more virtuous than if they are overeating, so usually people felt good about it.

I do like the meeting format of WW, though. I think it helps many people work through their issues. The information is just flawed and they are unaware of it. And in that sense I don't think of them as charlatans. In my book charlatans are aware they're selling snake oil. These people are just sheep who are unwilling to look at alternative theories (or unaware of them).

Just my two cents ....

T=Vix

[Image: weight.png]
Post: #11 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-23-2012 01:47 PM

Unregistered

The worst charlatans are the ones that actually believe what they are peddling.
Post: #12 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-23-2012 02:19 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(02-23-2012 01:31 PM)tek_vixen Wrote:  Very interesting point, Weezy. I do think there is that element of redemption and a new start, but delmoki is right in that I've seen that here too. But in my experience as a client and a leader for WW, I never ran across any "blame" on the part of the leaders. If there was a gain, it was focused on how to make things work better. For me, I would almost always ask first if they were eating ENOUGH, which was often the culprit. Yes, it's their own fault if they are undereating, but that's somehow more virtuous than if they are overeating, so usually people felt good about it.

I do like the meeting format of WW, though. I think it helps many people work through their issues. The information is just flawed and they are unaware of it. And in that sense I don't think of them as charlatans. In my book charlatans are aware they're selling snake oil. These people are just sheep who are unwilling to look at alternative theories (or unaware of them).

Just my two cents ....

T=Vix

Excellent post! I agree 100% !
Post: #13 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-24-2012 01:56 PM

Junior Low-Carber

Hi, I haven't posted in a while but I am back. I am now following Rob Thompson's glycemic load diet and I've lost my first 10 lbs.! (Jimmy I sent you an email on this).

Weight Watchers worked for me until I was about 40 years old. At that time I developed insulin resistance, although at the time there was no "name" for it. Then calorie reduced diets just didn't work for me anymore. So I tried a few low carb plans until I settled on the one I'm on now. I did try the Glycemic Load Diet a few years ago, but I wasn't really committed. All that has changed now.

I don't believe Weight Watchers is innately low carb at all, although you can make it one. But the limitations on calories will still leave you hungry. Plus, the new Weight Watchers plan allows unlimited fruits - that was my downfall - although I still eat fruit, I do limit my portions except for berries which I eat more generously. On Weight Watchers I really BINGED on fruit. Why? Because it was "free." We didn't have to count points for it. Oh Lord, I was hungry ALL DAY LONG on Weight Watchers.

I daresay I've wasted huge buckets of money on Weight Watchers in my lifetime. I can see now I really enjoyed the camaraderie of the meetings and being with other like-minded people on the same journey. Sorry to say that website forums are not the same as talking to someone up-close and personal. I wish there were low carb meeting groups around! I have heard that TOPS lets you choose any diet you desire, and quite a bit of folks do lowcarbing. Maybe I'll try that!
Post: #14 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-24-2012 02:11 PM

Junior Low-Carber

p.s. Rereading the posts, in all honesty I never ran across any "blame" factor either. If anything, the newer meetings tell you "progress not perfection" as long as you're making head way. But still, that plan isn't for me and I stayed too long at the Weight Watchers fair over the years.
Post: #15 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-24-2012 02:51 PM

Unregistered

The glycemic load diet is a "what you put it" diet, like most.

All the participant is asked to do is manage things by controlling what goes in. There is no accounting for the intenal human body processes that change over time to enable low carb to work.

Imagine a world where all factories were sealed buildings, and all factory people can do is manage what goes in and out the doors. This is what calorie counting, low carb, LCHF, etc all do. It's weak! All you have to manage is one thing.

Paleo makes more sense because it gets into how the whole system works over time.

To be fair, any LC plan that is using an induction phase is actually doing more than managing "what goes in" as well. This is assuming that the writer of the LC plan is using "induction" to get you keto-adapted, and then maintenace is fat-burning because you keep carbs low enough to use the fat buring part of your internal system.

I don't doubt that simply managing glycemic load can work as good as just controlling carbs. It's another way to do exactly the same thing, but it's still just a blunt instrument if that is all it is.
Post: #16 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-24-2012 10:49 PM

Junior Low-Carber

DFH....HUh????

I've lost my first 10 lbs. just by "managing my glycemic load." Why so negative? We all have to find what works for us.

I've found what works for me by just "managing my glycemic load."

Have a great evening!
Post: #17 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-24-2012 10:51 PM

Junior Low-Carber

sorry, I reread your post wrong. You said glycemic load diets CAN work as well..... But I still don't know what you are talking about. Oh well, moving on....
Post: #18 RE: "Why Weight Watchers is actually a low-carb diet" by Dr. Peter Attia , 02-25-2012 03:38 AM

Unregistered

(02-24-2012 10:49 PM)inspirit Wrote:  DFH....HUh????

I've lost my first 10 lbs. just by "managing my glycemic load." Why so negative? We all have to find what works for us.

I've found what works for me by just "managing my glycemic load."

Have a great evening!

I think you missed my message!

I'm happy for you. I'm not trying to be "so negative."

I know that we all must find what works for us, or what we think works for us. When you use a "what goes in" diet, any of them, you really don't know what works, but you do know what book you read last. Smile

Example: I lost my first 10 doing South Beach. Then it was 20, then 50... I was seeing a doc and made a lot of other changes too, but I lost 20 in between my first blood test and when I got meds. So I can say "South Beach works for me," but I don't.

It didn't work the whole time. I had to switch and study what's going on inside over time. So far I see the best explanations from Paleo folks.