Rating Thread Options
What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind?
Post: #1 What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 11-19-2011 04:02 PM

Unregistered

Jimmy-

Ever seen the pitch by Dr Steven Sisskind-

Basic Medical Fact Number 1: Low Levels of Adiponectin
What is Adiponectin and Why Haven’t You Heard of it?
Adiponectin is literally the hormone that tells your body to burn fat for fuel. It is now well established that the more of this super hormone you have circulating in your bloodstream, the more fat you burn.
Low levels of adiponectin are associated with higher levels of obesity. And elevated levels of adiponectin are not only associated with increased fat catabolism (i.e., fat burning), but also increased insulin sensitivity.
Additionally, adiponectin helps reduce insulin resistance. We will get to this later, but you need to know that insulin resistance is responsible for most blood sugar issues and something that makes it virtually impossible to lose weight even when following a low calorie diet.
The frustrating thing about adiponectin is that the more fat you have, the lower your adiponectin levels – which is why LOSING fat is so difficult at the beginning.
It turns out that one of the best ways to increase adiponectin is to reduce the levels of one of the insidious hormones I will talk about later.
Basic Medical Fact Number 2: High Ghrelin Levels You might have heard of ghrelin, but if not it is something you need to know about. Ghrelin is
known as the “Hunger Hormone.” Basically the more ghrelin you have in your system, the hungrier you are.
So if you find yourself fighting cravings and can’t seem to stay away from the fridge after dinner,
it is probably due to elevated ghrelin levels…
Ghrelin increases food intake and increases fat mass by an action exerted at the level of the hypothalamus in the brain.
Even worse, ghrelin activates the reward link in your brain for things like sweet, fatty foods, and even alcohol and cigarettes…
You can see why losing fat is almost impossible with elevated levels of ghrelin! And it turns out that the insidious hormones I’ll discuss below can also cause elevated ghrelin.
Basic Medical Fact Number 3: Insulin Resistance
If you are overweight, there is a good chance you are experiencing some level of insulin resistance. What this means is that your natural hormone insulin becomes less effective at lowering your blood sugars.
Your muscle cells require insulin to absorb glucose (sugars), but when these cells fail to respond adequately to circulating insulin… blood sugars rise. Also, the liver is supposed to reduce its output of glucose in the presence of insulin, but with insulin resistance this also does not happen.
The net effect is that instead of pulling sugars into muscles for energy or burning sugar for energy, most of the carbohydrates you consume get stored as fat. You have probably heard about this at one level or another.
However, you probably have not heard that insulin resistance is also caused by one of the two “bad” fat hormones I will get to later.
Basic Medical Fact Number 4: Cortisol
You might have heard about the fat – stress connection… not only has stress been documented to increase cravings for sweet, fatty and salty foods, it also leads to increased cortisol production – which leads directly to belly fat.
Cortisol also breaks down muscle for energy, which is NOT a good way to lose weight! Excess cortisol in your system leads to a slower metabolism, muscle loss, and fat accumulation in unsightly parts of your body like your abdomen and under your arms.
Many people who are overweight – most notably those with fat in the belly, and high blood sugar or high blood pressure – have elevated cortisol levels. This creates a vicious cycle: too much cortisol makes you gain weight. Being overweight makes it hard to produce adiponectin.
Which then makes you gain even more weight!
Like the other three medical facts above, excess cortisol is at its root caused by two hormones
that can simply wreck your metabolism.
Sorry to leave you hanging for so long, but I thought it was important to show you how many metabolic pathways these two insidious hormones can disrupt…
One thing you may be familiar with that both of these hormones cause, besides obesity, is inflammation. Aches and pains are not all caused by injuries and overexertion.
A large percentage of chronic pain is actually caused by your hormones. If you are overweight, you might be experiencing stiffness, muscle soreness, and fatigue… not because you are old or have old injuries.
But rather it might be because of a hormonal imbalance… of the two insidious hormones Tumor Necrosis Factor-Alpha (TNF-α) and Interleukin-6 IL-6 (IL6).
Both of these hormones have benefits inside the body – mainly in fighting infections and elevating your immune system when it needs to go into battle. However, these hormones can also be toxic… leading to obesity if not kept in check.
What Scientists Recently Discovered… The Leptin Connection... (more)

http://www.realdose.com/TwoInsidiousHormones.pdf

Unfortunately the source is just a commercial, but it says the right things. Dr Sisskind is pimping a supplement called Real Dose The pitch is that it accounts for the 4 things above, it is supported by double-blind studies, and they sell the same thing that was actually tested on humans-hence the brand name Real Dose.

Much of this we already know to be valid. Getting enough sleep, keeping stress, cortisol and insulin under control work. His diet advice includes avoiding simple sugars and high fat meat, eating your veggies, greek yogurt, and some other things that sound familiar like omega 3 fishoil and vitamin D and protein for breakfast.

I'm curious if you ever ran across this, or if anyone else has an opinion.
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 11-19-2011 05:49 PM

Expert Low-Carber

I would be interested to know why he is against fatty meat, but in favour of greek yoghurt, which is relatively high in fat.
Post: #3 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 11-20-2011 01:04 PM

(11-19-2011 05:49 PM)montmorency Wrote:  I would be interested to know why he is against fatty meat, but in favour of greek yoghurt, which is relatively high in fat.

You'd be hard pressed to find a full fat brand of Greek yogurt here in the states. They're all nonfat over here, or at least that's all I've seen in the stores. I can't imagine how they can even call them Greek yogurt when they've removed all the fat. They add all kinds of gums and thickeners to mimic real Greek yogurt.

My sites:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
In the Kitchen with Linda Blog
Post: #4 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 11-20-2011 01:11 PM

(11-20-2011 01:04 PM)LindaSue Wrote:  
(11-19-2011 05:49 PM)montmorency Wrote:  I would be interested to know why he is against fatty meat, but in favour of greek yoghurt, which is relatively high in fat.

You'd be hard pressed to find a full fat brand of Greek yogurt here in the states. They're all nonfat over here, or at least that's all I've seen in the stores. I can't imagine how they can even call them Greek yogurt when they've removed all the fat. They add all kinds of gums and thickeners to mimic real Greek yogurt.

Linda,

Fage Total is a good Greek yogurt with fat, but they stopped carrying it in our little TX town .. unfortunately! RolleyesSad

Here's the link ... maybe you can find it in your area: http://www.fageusa.com/products/fage-total-classic/

Kathy in Texas
LCing is no longer a temporary fix, it's my way of life! Wink

[Image: weight.png]
Post: #5 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 11-20-2011 02:15 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Trader Joe's carries a great full fat greek yoghurt for a reasonable price.

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test
first, the lesson afterwards."

Vernon Sanders Law

Post: #6 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 11-21-2011 12:03 AM

Expert Low-Carber

I had forgotten, but come to think some (maybe a lot) of the Greek Yogurts here are also low fat, allthough you can get higher fat if you look carefully.

Most of the normal yogurts they push tend to be low fat, but again, you can get higher fat, provided you look carefully.

I must admit, before i saw the error of my ways, I too ate low-fat yogurt, for many years. The brain-washing was quite successful.
Post: #7 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 11-21-2011 10:31 AM
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2011 08:46 PM by tedhutchinson.)

Expert Low-Carber

Post: #8 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 11-21-2011 04:35 PM

(11-20-2011 01:11 PM)BikiniBoundInTx Wrote:  

Linda,

Fage Total is a good Greek yogurt with fat, but they stopped carrying it in our little TX town .. unfortunately! RolleyesSad

Here's the link ... maybe you can find it in your area: http://www.fageusa.com/products/fage-total-classic/

I haven't looked at HEB but Walmart and Kroger only sell the nonfat kinds. It's cheaper to make my own anyway. I just buy the full-fat Dannon plain yogurt and drain it.

My sites:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
In the Kitchen with Linda Blog
Post: #9 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 11-21-2011 05:51 PM

Administrator

Never heard of this guy.

Jimmy Moore, "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Discussion" forum owner
KETO CLARITY: http://tinyurl.com/KetoClarity
CHOLESTEROL CLARITY: http://tinyurl.com/CholesterolClarity
OFFICIAL WEB SITE: http://www.livinlavidalowcarb.com
BLOG: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog
LLVLC PODCAST: http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/LLVLC
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/livinlowcarbman
LOW-CARB CONVERSATIONS: http://www.lowcarbconversations.com
VIDEOS: http://www.youtube.com/livinlowcarbman
E-MAIL ME: livinlowcarbman@charter.net
Post: #10 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 11-21-2011 06:28 PM

Expert Low-Carber

This is what's in his
Dolichos Biflorus (seed) extract 900mg/day
Patent-pending extract of wild-crafted Piper Betle leaf and
Dolichos Biflorus seed.
Ayurvedic herbs used safely as tribal remedies for centuries.*
When taken at the Real Dose, this extract is clinically shown
to boost adiponectin, your fat burning hormone, by 15.3%,
while lowering Ghrelin, your hunger hormone, by 17.3%.*
Burn more fat while being less hungry.*

Betel (Piper betle) (leaf) extract
Decaffeinated Green Coffee (Coffea canephora) (seed) standardized to 50% total polyphenols, 45% total chlorogenic acids, 10% 5-caffeoylquinic acid 400mg/day
From Madagascar, oganically grown, extracted and standardized in a special facility in France at the Real Dose.
Contains a powerful weight loss substance called chlorogenic acids, 270% more than in regular coffee beans.
Promotes weight loss by regulating blood sugar and backup glucose production by the liver.*
Forces your body to burn fat instead of sugar.*
In a double-blind, placebo controlled study, people who took this extract lost 10.9 pounds in 60 days while the placebo group lost only 5.4 pounds. This is more than twice the weight loss on the same diet.*

Siberian Rhodiola Rosea (root)
extract standardized to 3% rosavins, 1% salidroside 340mg/day
Wild-crafted in the Altai Mountain Region of Siberia under a strict license from the Russian Federation.
Herb used for centuries in Russia and Scandinavia to reduce stress, anxiety and fatigue.*
Reducing stress lowers cortisol levels, which can help reduce belly fat.*
Less stress means your cortisol levels are lower, your mood is brighter, and your body can more easily burn off dangerous belly fat.*

Pepper (Piper nigrum) (fruit) standardized to minimum 95% piperine 15mg/day
Patented standardized extract of natural black pepper.
Clinically proven to increase absorbability of nutritional compounds.*
Works by “thermogenesis” which is also a key factor in maintaining weight loss.

So where's the evidence that Dolichos Biflorus adiponectin SCHOLAR or Pubmed Dolichos Biflorus adiponectin
I can't find the evidence for the others either.
Post: #11 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 11-21-2011 08:17 PM

Unregistered

I buy mine at the Hippy Store, which for Memphis is Whole Foods, only place in town to find it.
Post: #12 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 01-22-2012 03:51 AM
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2012 04:15 AM by icaras.)

Newbie Low-Carber

While real Greek Yogurt does contain fat, it is OK. In fact it is a hi-protein food and is good for you. It is made with REAL Whole Milk, not low fat or skim milk. The old dairy farmers in my town drank their milk right from the cow...no pasteurization, no homogenization, just RAW milk with at least 8% or more fat and all the good stuff that nature provides...most live into their 90's and are strong as ox's.

Its not the fat that's going to get you...it is all the processed junk that we eat - known or unknown.

I say, "Real Greek Yogurt - Eat it often...preferably as you watch the sunset beneath the sea while on the shore of a Mediterranean isle."
Post: #13 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 01-22-2012 05:41 AM
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2012 05:43 AM by tedhutchinson.)

Expert Low-Carber

(01-22-2012 03:51 AM)icaras Wrote:  It is made with REAL Whole Milk, not low fat or skim milk. The old dairy farmers in my town drank their milk right from the cow...no pasteurization, no homogenization, just RAW milk with at least 8% or more fat and all the good stuff that nature provides...most live into their 90's and are strong as ox's.
I looked into homogenization recently after a poster reported she could eat TOTAL ZERO yoghurt but not TOTAL full fat.
Homogenization: A Closer Look
Quote:Homogenization today is usually a two step process. The first stage, similar to Gaulin's early device, pushes milk through small, tapered tubes or pores. As the diameter shrinks and the flow of milk remains constant, pressure builds up and fat globules break apart in the turbulence.

The higher the pressure, the smaller the particles. How much pressure? Typically 2,000-3,000 pounds per square inch (psi), although some super homogenizers work at over 1000 times atmospheric pressure- 14,500psi and higher!

You can jam milk through pretty small holes with force like that. Before homogenization, fat globules range in size from 1-10 microns (a micron = ~0.00004 inch). After, the size range is reduced to 0.2-2 microns.

As the much smaller fat globules begin to reassemble, they include fragments of whey and casein in their walls. Some are completely surrounded by a layer of protein. The tendency is for these new, chemically altered globules to clump together. Stage two of the homogenization process breaks up this unwanted assembly and makes sure everything stays in solution.

Some researchers believe that these protein-heavy fat globules can potentially increase homogenized milk's ability to cause allergic reactions. Numerous studies confirm this, at least with rodents as test subjects. Other known effects on milk quality include increased viscosity (the milk is thickened in consistency) whiter appearance, lowered heat stability, increased sensitivity to light-triggered oxidation and less pronounced milk flavor.
Post: #14 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 02-07-2012 11:37 PM

Newbie Low-Carber

Post: #15 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 02-11-2012 10:20 AM

Senior Low-Carber

I find it frustrating that an interesting post deserving of broad discussion gets sidetracked by a discussion of Greek Yogurt. For those interested in Greek Yogurt, why not just start a new thread?

DFH, I would like to hear more about Sisskind. Thank you for listing the medical facts, they were quite interesting. I felt let down by the concluding remarks that simply pointed to an advertisement for a product. Is there any other way of connecting the dots from your list of medical facts?

Benay
My low-carb journey: http://www.beyondprose.com/index.php/how...-me-80178/
My view of the Paleo diet: http://www.livinghealthy360.com/index.ph...imes-5592/
Some measures: http://www.livinghealthy360.com/index.ph...ain-15439/
Suggestions on getting started:http://www.livinghealthy360.com/index.ph...iet-16074/
Post: #16 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 02-16-2012 07:33 PM

Expert Low-Carber

I was always a bit suspicious of homogenisation, but became even more so when I realised that it was always accompanied by the process of "standardisation", i.e. they take the fat out, kill it with homogenisation, then put back a "standard" amount, which is about 3.7% for "whole" milk in the UK.

Of course they would argue that it's "what the customer wants", but it's more likely "what the supermarket wants".

Fortunately, the supermarket I use also sells (at the moment) three different brands of unhomogenised whole milk (which report a percentage fat of 4%, except for the Gold Top Jersey/Guernsey variety which is 5%.).
I'll buy while I can. I fear that the idiot fat police, when they realise it's a bit higher in fat, will try to ban it, like they have (effectively) banned raw milk.
Post: #17 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 02-22-2012 02:14 PM

Unregistered

(02-11-2012 10:20 AM)Benay Wrote:  I find it frustrating that an interesting post deserving of broad discussion gets sidetracked by a discussion of Greek Yogurt. For those interested in Greek Yogurt, why not just start a new thread?

DFH, I would like to hear more about Sisskind. Thank you for listing the medical facts, they were quite interesting. I felt let down by the concluding remarks that simply pointed to an advertisement for a product. Is there any other way of connecting the dots from your list of medical facts?

Unfortunately the whole Sisskind thing looks like a commercial exercise. The doc signed on to say more than "this stuff works." Its saying "This stuff works, and no one else's works like this because we look at the studies that support the supplement and make sure that what you get is equivalent, and no one else does that."

The technical defense of the products are interesting, but the thing is just steering you to a brand or a source..."You can only get it this way...etc"
Post: #18 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 02-29-2012 09:17 AM

Senior Low-Carber

DFH and Ted Hutchinson, thank you both for returning to the original topic and clarifying a few things. Much appreciated.

Benay
My view of the Paleo diet: http://www.livinghealthy360.com/index.ph...imes-5592/
Suggestions on getting started:http://www.livinghealthy360.com/index.ph...iet-16074/
Post: #19 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 04-01-2012 03:13 PM

Newbie Low-Carber

I just saw the video and the product seems good. It is something that I would try , so many times we try a bunch of other suplements that dont do anything for us and God knows how did the producers got this formula and what is actually in it. The explanation in the video was really good and the price is affordable. He didnt mention anything about side effects I wonder if there are any.
Post: #20 RE: What about this pitch from Dr Steven Sisskind? , 05-05-2012 10:16 AM

Senior Low-Carber

Jonny Bowden's e-news letter just landed in my in-box this morning with the Sisskind commercials for his product. It is so frustrating to have such long lead-ins before getting to the point. What a waste of time. When I realized the talk was simply leading to the sale of another drug, I got another cup of coffee.

I would be interested in more information about Ghrelin (the so-called hunger hormone) and adinopectin (the "fat burning" hormone). Are these hormone affected by a low carb diet? Apparently Ghrelin is affected by loss of/getting more sleep.

He says taking 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar "may" regulate blood sugar if taken prior to a meal. Any human clinical evidence of this?

He says cortisol overload stops fat burning, is produced in response to stress and is linked to depression. Deep breathing exercise controls an overabundance of stress/cortisol.

I don't believe Jimmy has ever interviewed him. He says he is a physician with a bariatric practice. What are his low carb credentials? If any?

Benay