Rating Thread Options
Best Oil to Fry a Turkey
Post: #1 Question Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-10-2011 02:10 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2011 02:15 PM by Rev.HaggisMacJedi.)

Expert Low-Carber

With Thanksgiving quickly approaching I am dying to try out my new Butterball indoor turkey fryer for its intended purpose. I have used peanut oil to fry some chicken, and it was a little funky. What is the best oil to fry a turkey in for us low carb enthusiasts? I am not sold on peanut oil, but if you insist that is the tastiest low carb oil to fry a turkey in, what is the absolute best tasting brand?

The next time someone questions your Low-Carb way of life, and tries to give you "words of wisdom" against it, quote them these words from Michael Scott of NBC's "The Office": "I will swallow what you just said, digest it, and see what comes out the other end."

Check out my weight loss blog by clicking here!
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-10-2011 03:03 PM

Senior Low-Carber

Well, when you have to use 10 quarts of oil (at least in my fryer) you don't have many affordable choices. I only fry a whole turkey about once a year and I just used plain old vegetable oil from Costco. I used a Butterball turkey and it came out absolutely the best ever! Don't buy those no-name cheap turkeys.

[Image: weight.png]
Post: #3 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-10-2011 06:38 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2011 06:55 PM by montmorency.)

Expert Low-Carber

My goodness, assuming that's US quarts, that's over 9 litres.

(Had it been UK quarts, it would have been over 11 litres!).

Quite expensive if we were talking extra virgin olive oil, for example.

What are these beasts of which you speak? I haven't come across them in my sheltered UK existence.

What advantage do they have over sticking the turkey in the oven?
[EDIT: ok, I see now - speed, and probably taste]

I must say, I'd be very reluctant to use a device that forced me to use (on cost grounds) "cheap vegetable oil". I know it's only once a year, but I assume you'd want to use the device on other occasions as well.

Would it be possible to use pre-melted good quality lard (or beef tallow if you can get it, or make it), or even butter? Not sure how much you'd have to melt to make 9 litres worth though.

OK, I see smoke point is an issue, and butter might not cut it (although ghee would, but it's dear). However, lard and beef tallow would.

An article about beef tallow:

http://cooklikeyourgrandmother.com/2008/...ef-tallow/

I couldn't find any actual oil capacities for the ones I looked at online, but given that you should be able to re-use the oil ( or fat, if used), cost is perhaps less of an issue, and less reason to use dubious cheap oils.

If it's technically able to be used, I'd think home-rendered beef tallow would give an excellent flavour.

Another beef tallow enthusiast. One of the commenters actually renders their tallow in a turkey fryer (an outside one).

http://www.nourishingdays.com/2011/02/ho...imal-fats/
Post: #4 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-10-2011 06:51 PM

Senior Low-Carber

I have been frying these suckers since 1992 and the best by far is the peanut oil because of the low smoke point. And the best oil is Louana. Never go above 350 degrees. I have done it with the Cajun cooker and I also have an electric pot. Fried one this morning for a church group. I always use a 12 pounder and powder it well with a blend of flour, salt, pepper and cajun spice. Fry for no more than 40 minutes and comes out perfect every time. The oil can be used up to 4-5 times. Vegetable oil cannot be reused. I drain/strain it back into the container and refrigerate until Thanksgiving day and we will use it to fry turkeys for ourselves and friends. I've used free-range, Butterball and fresh turkeys. I don't inject--wasn't worth the time or taste. Frying is the great equalizer--the .59/lb turkey tastes as good as the $1.79 turkey. All turn out moist and delicious. They taste like.........TURKEY. And nothin' prettier either. Love my little bronzed birds.

Smile Happy to be a grammaSmile[size=large]
Post: #5 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-10-2011 08:33 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2011 08:37 PM by JuliaN.)

Expert Low-Carber

Julia

My Goal: Keep It Simple Sweetie !
20 Carbs, 2 Quarts
Facing facts:
08/01/10-280...06/09/13-259...08/02/13-251...10/21/13-247
08/07/11-255...06/14/13-257...08/15/13-250
08/05/12-262...06/30/13-255...09/02/13-249
03/10/13-259...07/12/13-253...10/10/13-248
Post: #6 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-11-2011 11:26 AM

Expert Low-Carber

(11-10-2011 06:51 PM)mimisooze Wrote:  ...I always use a 12 pounder and powder it well with a blend of flour, salt, pepper and cajun spice...

Everything sounds good except for the flour. Flour has NO BUSINESS being in my Low Carb diet.

The next time someone questions your Low-Carb way of life, and tries to give you "words of wisdom" against it, quote them these words from Michael Scott of NBC's "The Office": "I will swallow what you just said, digest it, and see what comes out the other end."

Post: #7 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-11-2011 06:34 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

Lol I've never heard of frying a Turkey either. We only roast them here in the U.K. It sounds nice, though!

"The truth is so often the reverse of what has been told to us by our culture that we cannot turn our heads far enough around to see it." - Howard Zinn

I'm back on track! Big Grin
Post: #8 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-11-2011 06:52 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2011 06:08 PM by mimisooze.)

Senior Low-Carber

(11-11-2011 11:26 AM)Rev.HaggisMacJedi Wrote:  
(11-10-2011 06:51 PM)mimisooze Wrote:  ...I always use a 12 pounder and powder it well with a blend of flour, salt, pepper and cajun spice...

Everything sounds good except for the flour. Flour has NO BUSINESS being in my Low Carb diet.

DUSTING of flour. No more than 2 T to cover the whole bird. And seasonings. It plugs the 'holes' so to speak and seals in all the juices. Had some yesterday and still in ketosis Tongue
You have given me an idea though. Next time I might use some coconut flour.

Smile Happy to be a grammaSmile[size=large]
Post: #9 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-11-2011 09:50 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Peanut oil is what everybody uses, but if you have anyone with peanut allergies (many of us do), you could always use lard. It is fairly cheap and is undoubtedly better for you. Be careful though, hundreds of fires are caused each year by people frying turkeys.

One quick tip. Fry the turkey as long as the recipes/instructions say to fry it. It will be black and crispy on the outside. The inside will be incredibly moist and tender, but the outside will look like it is burned. Don’t take it out early when you think it looks ready.
Post: #10 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-11-2011 10:58 PM

Senior Low-Carber

I really do only use the turkey fryer once a year for a party I have at my house, so vegetable oil once a year isn't going to kill me. I've been eating vegetable oil all 59 years of my life up until this year when I started low carb, so I'm not going to worry over it now.

Post: #11 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-12-2011 12:05 AM

Expert Low-Carber

(11-11-2011 10:58 PM)marilynb Wrote:  I really do only use the turkey fryer once a year for a party I have at my house, so vegetable oil once a year isn't going to kill me. I've been eating vegetable oil all 59 years of my life up until this year when I started low carb, so I'm not going to worry over it now.

Yes, I guess I've had a fair amount of the stuff in my long life, plus that low-fat spread junk as well.

It really makes me annoyed how we were all conned for so long.
Post: #12 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-12-2011 01:25 AM

Expert Low-Carber

This is the fryer we have. It is VERY safe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrFakstsssg

Post: #13 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-12-2011 04:12 PM

Junior Low-Carber

(11-10-2011 06:38 PM)montmorency Wrote:  What advantage do they have over sticking the turkey in the oven?
[EDIT: ok, I see now - speed, and probably taste]
That and the fact that it comes out so juicy and tender, as opposed to so often dry when roasted. I'm not interested in eating roasted turkey ever again after trying deep fried.
Post: #14 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-14-2011 01:45 PM

Senior Low-Carber

Deep fried turkey really is so much tastier and juicer than oven roasted, and it's done in an hour or less (but you can't do a very big turkey, not any more than 14 lbs in my fryer). But cleaning up the turkey frier is such a hassle for me that I don't use it more often than for my annual party. When I do a turkey for myself and my houseful of dogs, I just oven roast it.

Post: #15 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-16-2011 01:59 PM

I've never had deep fried turkey but I'm sure it's very good from what I've heard. However, I agree with Marilyn that it would be a pain in the neck trying to dispose of all that oil. It would also make for a very expensive turkey. The oil would probably cost at least twice as much as the bird itself. I'd have to win the lottery before I could afford to make such an expensive turkey.

My sites:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
In the Kitchen with Linda Blog
Post: #16 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-16-2011 03:17 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2011 03:18 PM by Rev.HaggisMacJedi.)

Expert Low-Carber

(11-16-2011 01:59 PM)LindaSue Wrote:  I've never had deep fried turkey but I'm sure it's very good from what I've heard. However, I agree with Marilyn that it would be a pain in the neck trying to dispose of all that oil. It would also make for a very expensive turkey. The oil would probably cost at least twice as much as the bird itself. I'd have to win the lottery before I could afford to make such an expensive turkey.

Actually, that fryer that I have (the one I linked to above) has a little spout in the back for the oil to drain out when you're done. As it's coming out you run it through a strainer and there ya go. The whole fryer comes apart in about a minute and it's completely dishwasher safe. It couldn't be easier.

Post: #17 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-16-2011 03:40 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Thanks for linking to that. My DH just bought that fryer and is anxious to give it a whirl! We had the outdoor kind before.

Julia

My Goal: Keep It Simple Sweetie !
20 Carbs, 2 Quarts
Facing facts:
08/01/10-280...06/09/13-259...08/02/13-251...10/21/13-247
08/07/11-255...06/14/13-257...08/15/13-250
08/05/12-262...06/30/13-255...09/02/13-249
03/10/13-259...07/12/13-253...10/10/13-248
Post: #18 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-16-2011 07:54 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(11-16-2011 03:40 PM)JuliaN Wrote:  Thanks for linking to that. My DH just bought that fryer and is anxious to give it a whirl! We had the outdoor kind before.

Well we've had it since we got it for Christmas last year and haven't used it for a turkey yet, but it has fried up lots of other stuff like a champ. And it is as easy to clean as turning on that little tap to drain the oil, and putting the parts in the dishwasher. If that's complicated then frying and egg would be too complicated.

Post: #19 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-17-2011 08:26 PM

I watched the video and it does look pretty cool. They don't say how much oil it takes and they didn't show how to drain the oil either.

Can you re-use the oil? Do you just pour it back into the original bottle? That's the part that I hate about deep frying; trying to find a container to dispose of it in. I wouldn't mind so much if the oil could be used a few times but my oil always looks really dark and nasty after just deep frying a few small things in my Fry Daddy.

My sites:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
In the Kitchen with Linda Blog
Post: #20 RE: Best Oil to Fry a Turkey , 11-17-2011 08:36 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Growing up, my parents reused the oil 2-3 times when deep frying (not turkeys, though!) - but I'm with you, Linda Sue - it seems like it looks too "dirty" to re use. I just normally toss mine out.

Time+Perseverance=SUCCESS Keep on Keeping on!