Rating Thread Options
Coconut Oil- Healing Crisis- Herxheimer reaction
Post: #1 Coconut Oil- Healing Crisis- Herxheimer reaction , 10-24-2011 12:46 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

I have been using coconut oil to cook with for years. I use it in the place of butter or any other oil and eat items cooked with the oil several times a day. A couple of weeks ago I decided to go back to using IF in order to get off a few pounds that I have gained. I decided to use coconut oil this time to keep me from bieng hungry. I am a teacher and IF in the morning and afternoon while I am at school and then will eat an evening meal with my family. I figured I could put the coconut oil in my coffee and keep my energy up during the day.

I did fine the first week, then last week I broke out in a bad rash. Many people have told me that they think it is a healing crisis from the coconut oil. That my body is killing off toxins faster than it can get rid of them basically. Anyway, it has been a week and I still have the rash. It has not gotten any better. I decided to quit the coconut oil for a while and have not had any in 3 days but it is still not any better. I have been trying to do things to reduce the symptoms like is mentioned here:
http://www.earthincommon.com/candida_01-article.html

I am still not having any luck. Has anyone had experience with this before? I was having alot of success with weight loss with the coconut oil and IF, and I really want to get back on it, but I need this rash to go away. It is on my neck and chest and is visible. Being a teacher I need to get rid of it, but I cannot seem to do anything to make it any better. I was hoping someone had some ideas. Everyone wants me to go to the doctor but I do not feel that he will be able to help me with this.

[Image: 56026.png]
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: Coconut Oil- Healing Crisis- Herxheimer reaction , 10-24-2011 02:07 PM
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2011 06:00 AM by tedhutchinson.)

Expert Low-Carber

Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction, or, Lucio's Phenomena Also: A healing crisis, or, the "die-off". This article has some suggestions.

The Healing Crisis
AKA: The Cleansing Reaction, The Detox Reaction, and The Herxheimer Reaction

and on Facebook

I think drinking more water and having magnesium baths to flush out the toxins seems the way forward.
Post: #3 RE: Coconut Oil- Healing Crisis- Herxheimer reaction , 10-25-2011 09:25 PM

Expert Low-Carber

May or may not be a "healing crisis."

A week is a bit on the long side from my experience with patients. Skin stuff can take a while to resolve though.

If it's not getting better, see a doctor and/or allergist.

Mackay Rippey

Has your weight loss stalled because your body clock is out of sync?
Check out the Kung Fu Weight Loss Guide to Resetting Your Body Clock
Post: #4 RE: Coconut Oil- Healing Crisis- Herxheimer reaction , 10-26-2011 06:28 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

So, it is possible for me to be highly allergic to coconut oil? I do not have any problems eating items cooked with coconut oil. I just seems to have a bad effect on me when I have it straight or a large amount (like a tablespoon) at one time.

[Image: 56026.png]
Post: #5 RE: Coconut Oil- Healing Crisis- Herxheimer reaction , 10-26-2011 09:54 PM

Newbie Low-Carber

(10-24-2011 12:46 PM)lowcarbteacher Wrote:  I have been using coconut oil to cook with for years. I use it in the place of butter or any other oil and eat items cooked with the oil several times a day. A couple of weeks ago I decided to go back to using IF in order to get off a few pounds that I have gained. I decided to use coconut oil this time to keep me from bieng hungry. I am a teacher and IF in the morning and afternoon while I am at school and then will eat an evening meal with my family. I figured I could put the coconut oil in my coffee and keep my energy up during the day.

I did fine the first week, then last week I broke out in a bad rash. Many people have told me that they think it is a healing crisis from the coconut oil. That my body is killing off toxins faster than it can get rid of them basically. Anyway, it has been a week and I still have the rash. It has not gotten any better. I decided to quit the coconut oil for a while and have not had any in 3 days but it is still not any better. I have been trying to do things to reduce the symptoms like is mentioned here:
http://www.earthincommon.com/candida_01-article.html

I am still not having any luck. Has anyone had experience with this before? I was having alot of success with weight loss with the coconut oil and IF, and I really want to get back on it, but I need this rash to go away. It is on my neck and chest and is visible. Being a teacher I need to get rid of it, but I cannot seem to do anything to make it any better. I was hoping someone had some ideas. Everyone wants me to go to the doctor but I do not feel that he will be able to help me with this.

If your rash has still not gone away, perhaps it is a rash from bed bugs and not the coconut oil at all. Check for black dots on your sheets and edges of your mattress. You never know.
Post: #6 RE: Coconut Oil- Healing Crisis- Herxheimer reaction , 10-26-2011 10:19 PM

Unregistered

IF is the worst way to do calorie restriction, unless you look like the guy that does lean gains dot com.
Post: #7 RE: Coconut Oil- Healing Crisis- Herxheimer reaction , 10-27-2011 04:24 AM

Expert Low-Carber

(10-26-2011 10:19 PM)DFH Wrote:  IF is the worst way to do calorie restriction, unless you look like the guy that does lean gains dot com.
If you are suggesting that it is always better to eat at set times rather than only when you are hungry I'd be interested to see the evidence this is based on.
Have we proved that people who eat all the time food is available are less obese than those who only eat according to appetite?
Post: #8 RE: Coconut Oil- Healing Crisis- Herxheimer reaction , 10-27-2011 07:27 AM

Unregistered

Not at all. Eat regular, eat right, eat less. Read the monster thread at Marksdailyapple forum about leptin.

I would in turn ask what is the evidence that IF is anything more than calorie restriction under a different name, and that it is advisable for people that have problems other than just eating too much?

The people promoting IF the most (and doing well with it) are people who don't have losing weight as a top priority. They are fitness types seeking to tune up a bit.
Post: #9 RE: Coconut Oil- Healing Crisis- Herxheimer reaction , 10-29-2011 02:13 PM
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2011 02:14 PM by Heyitsdenise.)

Expert Low-Carber

DFH, I have to disagree with you. I practice IF and can assure you I do not look like the guy that does lean gains dot com. I do it for lots of reasons, one very large one is to keep my insulin levels as low as possible. Even eating LC or VLC, I feel much better if I only eat once or twice a day. It keeps my blood sugar stable and because I am not eating every few hours, I have learned to listen to my body's signals and distinguish between real hunger and "wanting to eat". I do not have real hunger every 3 or 4 hours unless I am eating too many carbs or too much protein.

I do it because it makes me feel good. Of course, what works for an obese, metabolically damaged 58 year old woman with strong family tendencies toward diabetes is probably not going to be the same thing that works for you, so I would encourage you to eat in a manner that makes you feel good, and share that with others.
Post: #10 RE: Coconut Oil- Healing Crisis- Herxheimer reaction , 11-17-2013 06:05 PM

Newbie Low-Carber

(10-27-2011 07:27 AM)DFH Wrote:  Not at all. Eat regular, eat right, eat less. Read the monster thread at Marksdailyapple forum about leptin.

I would in turn ask what is the evidence that IF is anything more than calorie restriction under a different name, and that it is advisable for people that have problems other than just eating too much?

The people promoting IF the most (and doing well with it) are people who don't have losing weight as a top priority. They are fitness types seeking to tune up a bit.

It's not calorie restriction at all, you eat the same amount of calories you just eat them within a specific timeframe. In line with the other evidence, proof is in the pudding. I have been IFing for two weeks and get every bit of the calories I am supposed to every day and I have lost 12lbs and my mind is not foggy, my energy is up and I don't obsess over food anymore.