Rating Thread Options
LCHF the Swedish diet Support!
Post: #1 LCHF the Swedish diet Support! , 07-17-2011 07:30 AM

Junior Low-Carber

Support for LCHF (Low Carb High Fat). It's a popular Low carb diet/lifestyle in Sweden. We don't count calories or portion size, and we're never hungry. Only thing to count and look at is carb amount.

75% Fat
20% Protein
5% Carbohydrates

Fat: The bulk of the energy in food come from fat. The fat should preferably be a natural animal fat, alternatively, coconut oil, canola oil or olive oil used. It is essential to take in enough fat, usually people eat too little fat and too much protein.

Protein: about 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. Some tend to indicate 0.5 to 1.5 grams per kilogram of body weight - the lower figure if you are extremely overweight, and higher if you exercise a lot.

Carbohydrates: Many people who eat LCHF in order to lose weight tend to stay under 20 grams of carbohydrates per day. It is often said that more than 100 grams of carbohydrates per day is considered as low-carbohydrate diet. However, it is individually how much carbohydrate tolerance, so you have to feel one's way.

Jimmy has a website dedicated to LCHF Eat Like A Swede

Let share tips, recipes and support!

My LCHF Swedish Diet

[Image: ingep2.png]
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: LCHF the Swedish diet Support! , 07-17-2011 01:17 PM

Junior Low-Carber

This is the plan that I am trying to follow. I'll definitely be checking in here on a regular basis.

Julie

My blog about the journey of a post-menopausal woman into a Paleo lifestyle

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/we9DHdn/]
[Image: weight.png]
Post: #3 RE: LCHF the Swedish diet Support! , 07-17-2011 01:50 PM

Junior Low-Carber

Cool! Which country do you live in LizardGurl? And how did you learn about LCHF? I'm just curious how other people out there learn about LCHF.

I have a blog about my LCHF journey. It's a link on the signature part. Do you have a blog? I love reading about how other people are doing on their weight loss journey.

My LCHF Swedish Diet

Post: #4 RE: LCHF the Swedish diet Support! , 07-18-2011 07:23 PM

Junior Low-Carber

I'm in the US. I heard it mentioned on some of the LLVLC podcasts and have been looking into it.

My blog about the journey of a post-menopausal woman into a Paleo lifestyle

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/we9DHdn/]
Post: #5 RE: LCHF the Swedish diet Support! , 07-18-2011 07:45 PM

Junior Low-Carber

Cool! Sweet that LLVLC is spreading the word about it. It's a pretty great diet/lifestyle if you hate being hungry. That was the worst for me when I was doing a normal eat less and uber healthier diet, I was ALWAYS hungry. When I'm hungry, I'm tired and very grumpySad

But now I eat when I'm hungry and I lose weightSmile

My LCHF Swedish Diet

Post: #6 RE: LCHF the Swedish diet Support! , 07-19-2011 12:09 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

If you were hungry all the time then it wasn't a healthy diet. Wink

"The truth is so often the reverse of what has been told to us by our culture that we cannot turn our heads far enough around to see it." - Howard Zinn

I'm back on track! Big Grin
Post: #7 RE: LCHF the Swedish diet Support! , 07-19-2011 04:43 PM

Junior Low-Carber

@StoneAgeQueen - I completely agree with you. But it was what most people would consider healthy since I was eating less of all the bad stuff, and smaller portions.´

My LCHF Swedish Diet

Post: #8 RE: LCHF the Swedish diet Support! , 07-25-2011 09:12 PM
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2011 09:14 PM by montmorency.)

Expert Low-Carber

@Cali:

I was looking at your blog (actually to see if I could get a clue as to what might be causing the "bumps" - no luck there I'm afraid), and noticed the comment about daily weighing.

I also weigh every day, but sort of regard Monday as my official weighing-in day.

However, because of those daily fluctuations that one always gets, one (slightly geeky) thing that I like to do is to take a "moving average" weight of the last so-many days.

I have chosen (purely arbitrarily) a 7-day moving average, which means I just add up the weights for the last 7 days and divide by 7, and write that down in a column next to my actual weight.

It's quite interesting, as you will see the moving average moves with a much smoother movement than the actual daily weight, and you can see if your weight for that day is above or below the MA, and guess what's going to happen next, etc Smile

If I cared about efficiency, this would be all in a spreadsheet, but I'm happy just to do it manually (with the aid of a calculator). I find the exercise kind of soothing, and although it sounds like it could be obsessive, it actually makes the weight recording a bit more impersonal (less emotional) and more like a laboratory exercise ... I'm just my own little chubby lab rat, turning the wheels over and over... Smile

It's also quite good (unfortunately) at identifying stalls.

One thing I've tried to me more punctilious about is in keeping a food log, which I keep in the same book, and in parallel with the weights. My food doesn't change much, but it does sometimes, and I should be able to see the effect, if any.

Regards,
Mike

Post: #9 RE: LCHF the Swedish diet Support! , 07-26-2011 01:40 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Thank you for explaining your "Moving Average", I may have seen it before in other threads, but this time it actually "got through" to me.
Post: #10 RE: LCHF the Swedish diet Support! , 07-27-2011 11:28 AM

Expert Low-Carber

(07-26-2011 01:40 PM)Heyitsdenise Wrote:  Thank you for explaining your "Moving Average", I may have seen it before in other threads, but this time it actually "got through" to me.

The way I do it is no big deal really, although the idea (borrowed from other fields) can get quite involved, and makes more sense on a graph, not that I bother with a graph. I think in my case I just use it so as not to get too shocked by daily fluctuations (which don't normally mean very much in themselves).
Post: #11 RE: LCHF the Swedish diet Support! , 07-27-2011 06:27 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Yes, I can see that, and I think it could be useful to keep from getting too caught up in "a number on a scale" which some people say causes them to experience an unpleasant emotional reaction. I guess what I see in it is that the weekly moving average would be more of a chance to step back and have a bit more of a long-term perspective, and also it might help spot changes when one is stuck in a long-term stall.
Post: #12 RE: LCHF the Swedish diet Support! , 05-07-2012 07:30 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2012 07:43 PM by jo60.)

Advanced Low-Carber

I just actually got around to reading about this diet a few minutes ago.
I started low carb a year ago January with about 50 lbs to lose. I called it "Atkins based".
Lost about 20 lbs over 5 months but off the wagon 3 times. Mainly I beleive because I felt I could "snack" on grain based and sweet periodically.
I have never cut dairy/nuts out of my low carb.

Restarted 2 weeks ago(3rd time) ..first week my carbs around 30 give or take a gram.as I added coconut oil and upped the fat I kept my carbs from 6-7% depending on the day.

I had a whopping day of 216 g /fat ( about a week in..I was actually trying to do a kind of modified fat fast and had worked up to this level. I did wake up feeling very odd in the middle of the night but the next day onward I dropped 1000 calories and fat 150g/day for following day)
Fat now is approx 120-140 with ratios and calories pretty consistent.
I track only enough to get a feel for what I am consuming translate into in terms of percentages and how I feel and I do not "plan" my eating day. I eat what ocurrs to me.
HIghest Fat day i week into low carb/hi fat
Calorie Breakdown: 2458
Carbohydrate (5%)
Fat (79%)
Protein (16%)

Next day
Calorie Breakdown: 1467
Carbohydrate (5%)
Fat (79%)
Protein (16%)
has stayed around here the past week.
Anyway what I wanted to say is that this time..(with a BIG influence from Dr. Davis/Wheat Belly) I find that this Swedish diet is the natural diet for me and one that I can actually maintain.
I was pleased to see it as I know I would not give up dairy. I love butter, hi fat yogurt, cheeses and creams.
I also find 50-70 g of protein is comfortable for me at 61 years old/female.
This is the first time that I have never had a sweet/bread craving in my life.

I want to add although weight loss is part of my goal..as I approached my 3rd trip into low carb..most important to me is a solid adaptation which enables to maintain this way of eating (WOE).

I was adding new things like coconut oil/milk. and more recently D3, Omega 3 and Mg the past 2 days but awoke this morning into a new fresh head space!! good energy-positive mind- no cravings of "any" kind.
I actiually had to eat some of my yogurt/coconut "pudding" 3 hours after rising..just take my Vit D3.

This is a great diet IMHO for others like me who love their dairy and nuts and have no tolerance issues.
The only thing I would omit is canola oil-which I am still surprised to see as an acceptable oil in so many diets let alone low carb diets. I have in my [Canadian] life never used canola which is non natural franken oil.)or soya, corn, "vegetable" oils. (saff and sunflower..yes..periodically over 40 years.) mostly butter and lard.
""There was no canola plant before 1974. It didn’t exist in nature, despite millions of years of evolution. To be fair, there is really no such thing as a Canola plant today either, rather, its a Rapeseed plant. The Rapeseed plant did not have a good reputation, indeed to the contrary, it was and is considered quite poisonous to humans and animals""
http://www.greencradle.net/2011/02/wonde...anola-oil/

I would not touch it when it first was "manufactured" and have avoided it 35 more years. I remember clearly when the rapeseed "became" canola.

I would like to see all low carb diet models remove it.

other than that love my low carb diet.Swedish style!!

jo
Post: #13 RE: LCHF the Swedish diet Support! , 05-07-2012 08:10 PM

Unregistered

Jo;

That's really cool. Good for you!

I agree on canola oil. Too many books and plans still recommend it.
Post: #14 Wink RE: LCHF the Swedish diet Support! , 09-27-2012 12:39 PM

Junior Low-Carber

i realise this thread is based on swedish support, just wanted to say I am following this diet, not to lose weight, for other health benefits Smile
Post: #15 RE: LCHF the Swedish diet Support! , 09-27-2012 02:52 PM

Expert Low-Carber

What other health benefits are you looking for?
Post: #16 RE: LCHF the Swedish diet Support! , 09-28-2012 04:42 AM

Junior Low-Carber

(09-27-2012 02:52 PM)Heyitsdenise Wrote:  What other health benefits are you looking for?

stable blood sugar levels, starving my liver disease, healthy trigs, good energy levels, better sleep, lower blood pressure! to name a few