Rating Thread Options
Blurry vision

Advanced Low-Carber

This is sort of a hit and run post but I was wondering if anyone had solid information on something.

I've been getting progressively worse vision over the last two years. My vision is horrible first thing in the morning and improves over the first hour of my day to a semi-normal state.

I've also noticed blurry/double vision during the day and it seems to be associated with eating (but that could be a false observation). It sometimes appears that there are two sets of words on top of each other. I don't really notice these vision problems outside of reading text and putting on makeup.

I know that some of this may be age related, I'm 45. Just out of curiosity I had my husband test my blood sugar this morning. It was only 104. However, my fasting blood sugar has been 60-85 all of my adult life. Could a change like this, even if it isn't official diabetes, cause these kinds of vision problems? I've had a tough semester in school and my diet has not been a healthy one.

If anyone has a link to some information I'd appreciate it. All I could find was information about people with pretty bad blood sugar, which could be the answer in and of itself. Of course, I'm also trying to put off the idea that I'm just middle aged and need glasses. Big Grin

Thank you in advance.

[Image: weight.png]

Start date 5/12/2008 BF% 40% Current BF% 39.4
Quote this message in a reply

Unregistered

I'm 50.

It's happening to me when I don't get enough sleep. After a good rest it clears up.

Expert Low-Carber

Yes, blurry vision is associated with poor blood sugar control. But start by getting your eyes checked. It's possible that something besides age-related far-sightedness is going on, and the sooner it's caught, the better. Also you might get your HbA1c checked (you can buy a kit at Wal-Mart for $9.00 that includes the postage to mail it in, if you don't have a doctor). It will indicate your average blood sugar levels over the last 2 or 3 months. Your eyesight it way too important to let this go.

Advanced Low-Carber

Please tell me that you have seen an optometrist about this. Your sight is too important to take chances with.

That having been said: When your blood sugar is unstable your vision can be wonky. The concentration of sugar in your blood changes the pressure of the fluid inside your eyeball. If your blood sugar is stable, whether high or low, your eyes will adjust the inner concentration of eyeball stuff to make your eyes focus properly. But if swift changes in blood sugar are taking place, your eyeballs can't keep up and then your vision suffers. When I've been off my eating plan seriously and then go back on VLC, my vision can be messed up for days. If you are having large blood sugar changes throughout the day, your vision may be bad most of the time. When you get your diet stabilized so that your blood sugars rise and fall only smallish amounts, then your vision should return to normal (if this is what was causing the problem).

But again: your vision is very important. Don't take chances with it. Get a professional to take a look. You might want to test blood sugar at half-hour intervals throughout one day to give you a clear picture of what is going on with that, and take that information in with you when you go to see the doctor.

Hope you get this straightened out.
Cheers,
Shy

What can I do this week that will make me healthier at the end of the week than I am right now?

Newbie Low-Carber

She, have you had your blood sugar tested? Blurry vision can be a sign of metabolic syndrome.

I know on the days I ate a lot of carbs, my vision would blur in conjunction with just feeling plain rotten. I didn't need a doctor to tell me that my blood sugar was out of whack.

I was tested, and was on the brink of diabetes. That's why I started South Beach diet. Please see a doctor. It can be anything, but only a doc can tell you.

Expert Low-Carber

When my HGB A1C was in the 5's & 6's, I was having blurred vision too. Since getting it down to 4.5, my vision is a lot better, only blurry if I my numbers start rising. Dr Davis says fasting BG should be under 100, 1 hour post-prandials no higher than 110. Dr. Bernstein is even more radical, in his most recent podcast he states if your BG is above 80's you are too high. He says most of the damage to the eyes, vascular system, kidneys etc.... happens with BG levels above 80!

There is a new test that is more specific in measuring glycation levels called fructosamine testing. It will give you an idea of the amount of 'sugar' damage happening to your body, moreso than HGB A1C.

Kathy Coe
CFT, SPN, MT
Refinery Fitness Center

Advanced Low-Carber

Thank you all for your comments. I suppose I ought to make an eye appointment AND get my diet under control.

[Image: weight.png]

Start date 5/12/2008 BF% 40% Current BF% 39.4
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2011 04:29 PM by vlado416.)

Advanced Low-Carber

(04-05-2011 10:31 PM)SheRa Wrote:  Thank you all for your comments. I suppose I ought to make an eye appointment AND get my diet under control.

Eyes are really dependent on vitamin A to to upkeep and rebuild them but other than that, sleep is the most important thing sleeping before 11pm and going into nature and getting away from the house and city. Bad stress of artificial living outside of natural settings has negative effect on all organs especially eyes.