Rating Thread Options
Names of Low Carb / Exercise researchers
Post: #1 Names of Low Carb / Exercise researchers , 02-27-2011 12:04 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

I the podcast with guest Gary Taubes there were a couple of people that Gary said would have more answers when it came to low carb training (research)

Does anyone remember these (of just know)?

Thank you very much.
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: Names of Low Carb / Exercise researchers , 02-27-2011 12:48 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(02-27-2011 12:04 PM)stephenmarklay Wrote:  I the podcast with guest Gary Taubes there were a couple of people that Gary said would have more answers when it came to low carb training (research)

Does anyone remember these (of just know)?

Thank you very much.
I'm guessing it would most likely be Low-Carb Diet Researchers Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek.
But the place to look for Low Carb research is Nutrition and Metabolism
Post: #3 RE: Names of Low Carb / Exercise researchers , 03-11-2011 05:23 AM

Advanced Low-Carber

A year or so ago Jimmy interviewed Doug McGuff on SuperSlow weight training and low carb dieting. He also interviewed Fred Hahn. Those are great shows to listen to.

Silence speaks as loud as war, the Earth returns to what it was before...Van Hagar

I see all of those forty year olds out jogging, it doesn't make any difference. Roger Daltrey

Veni, Vidi, Edo
Post: #4 RE: Names of Low Carb / Exercise researchers , 03-11-2011 12:02 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

(03-11-2011 05:23 AM)Over43 Wrote:  A year or so ago Jimmy interviewed Doug McGuff on SuperSlow weight training and low carb dieting. He also interviewed Fred Hahn. Those are great shows to listen to.

Thanks I will listen to those right away.
Post: #5 RE: Names of Low Carb / Exercise researchers , 03-22-2011 02:14 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

I've been doing Fred Hahn's Slow Burn workout 2-3 times a week since January. The theory is working muscles with the heaviest weights you can lift will stimulate Growth Hormone. Also by working that hard you should be breathing hard almost to the point of gasping for air. It's that level that burns carbs off. At 70% of max heart rate you're burning roughly 60% fat, 40% carbs. At 90% (gasping stage) you're burning 95% carb.
Post: #6 RE: Names of Low Carb / Exercise researchers , 03-22-2011 03:50 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

Thanks for the posts here.

My "slant" on all of this is more endurance based. I am a cyclist and I wanted to see what had been done in the way of research for low carb training and racing.

I found a fantastic resource in a recent podcast of Ben Greenfield fitness.

Phil Maffetone has been preaching this for a few decades and was the man responsible for training Mark Allen (6X winner of the Kona Ironman). His approach is perfect for my new low carb Paleo(ish) life. Anyone in Endurance sports that is coming from this side of the nutrition world should look at what he has to say.

The popular training and racing approaches just do not apply at all. I have all of the current books and they are not suitable.
Post: #7 RE: Names of Low Carb / Exercise researchers , 07-06-2011 05:58 PM

Junior Low-Carber

I'm another Slow Burner and Fred fan. I've been blogging about it at my website. Tonight's the night!

Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy, green meat is bad for you!
Post: #8 RE: Names of Low Carb / Exercise researchers , 07-06-2011 07:12 PM

Welcome to the forum, Eric. Say hello to Dana. I hope to meet you guys some day on the low carb cruise.

My sites:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
In the Kitchen with Linda Blog
Post: #9 RE: Names of Low Carb / Exercise researchers , 07-06-2011 07:42 PM

Junior Low-Carber

Thanks for the welcome! The cruise is awesome -- hope you can join us!!! Smile

Post: #10 RE: Names of Low Carb / Exercise researchers , 07-06-2011 08:26 PM

Junior Low-Carber

(03-11-2011 05:23 AM)Over43 Wrote:  A year or so ago Jimmy interviewed Doug McGuff on SuperSlow weight training and low carb dieting. He also interviewed Fred Hahn. Those are great shows to listen to.

Dana also interviewed Fred back in January: http://danaslowcarbforlife.com/55/dana-i...hahn-ep-2/

Post: #11 RE: Names of Low Carb / Exercise researchers , 03-08-2012 12:01 AM

Junior Low-Carber

(03-22-2011 03:50 PM)stephenmarklay Wrote:  Thanks for the posts here.

My "slant" on all of this is more endurance based. I am a cyclist and I wanted to see what had been done in the way of research for low carb training and racing.

I found a fantastic resource in a recent podcast of Ben Greenfield fitness.

Phil Maffetone has been preaching this for a few decades and was the man responsible for training Mark Allen (6X winner of the Kona Ironman). His approach is perfect for my new low carb Paleo(ish) life. Anyone in Endurance sports that is coming from this side of the nutrition world should look at what he has to say.

The popular training and racing approaches just do not apply at all. I have all of the current books and they are not suitable.

Check out Peter Attia

http://waroninsulin.com/
Post: #12 RE: Names of Low Carb / Exercise researchers , 04-10-2012 09:29 PM

Unregistered

Here's a trainer thats into Paleo, and his top client is someone I've known since his amateur days, Andrew Short.

http://www.coachseiji.com/

He doesn't give out much advice, but I think this is still interesting. I used to work in that sport (motocross) and I know of a lot of problems athletes had with diet and the other trainers were doing really dumb things-like feeding the highest paid guy wheat muffins when he had IBS!
Post: #13 RE: Names of Low Carb / Exercise researchers , 08-05-2012 09:51 PM
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 01:01 PM by LindaSue.)

Junior Low-Carber

Quote:Check out Peter Attia

http://waroninsulin.com/

I've been consumed with reading Dr Peter Attia's EatingAcademy.org .

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-i...sis-part-i