Rating Thread Options
Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It - Gary Taubes
Post: #61 RE: Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It - Gary Taubes , 08-25-2011 06:20 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(07-30-2011 02:37 PM)tedhutchinson Wrote:  Although this link was posted in another thread earlier today it's also applicable to readers of this thread as it's a full text paper considering Taubes hypothesis in detail.
REVIEW Obesity and energy balance: is the tail wagging the dog?

It's fairly detailed but not too difficult to understand. Certainly a lot more concise than Taubes original version. However I think it's probably worth downloading to your PC and reading from a PDF file.

I see absolutely no problem with the idea that insulin and insulin resistance can be both good and bad depending on the amount and the time. The problems come from inappropriate amounts at inappropriate times.

Fascinating link Ted. Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #62 RE: Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It - Gary Taubes , 08-25-2011 10:03 PM

Unregistered

I really liked that article too.

It shows that Taubes moved the ball in the right direction, and there is plenty of work to do still.

It also makes me think of what a freakin idiot Guyenet is for trying to change focus to something completely different. That really ticks me off for some reason.
Post: #63 RE: Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It - Gary Taubes , 11-15-2011 07:19 PM

Junior Low-Carber

(07-23-2011 01:54 PM)Buttoni Wrote:  The only part that worried me is when he says some of us may have eaten so badly for so long, we may have done irreparable damage to our metabolism and may NEVER get down to the weight we desire, whether we do everything right or not.

Yeah, this worried me too, since I was on a 3000 mile long hiking trip, eating a daily calorie deficit and GAINING WEIGHT/FAT (gaining back what I had lost at the start), I figured I was one of the hopelessly broken ones. I'm starting to see some hope that perhaps, just maybe, I am not so far gone that I can't heal.

While I would love to be thin and beautiful, the truth is I have never been thin and beautiful so it's not a huge loss if I die without ever knowing what it's like. If I can at least be in good hiking shape, look fairly decent and not have to starve to do it, I suppose that if that's the best I can hope for it's not too bad a deal.
Post: #64 RE: Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It - Gary Taubes , 11-17-2011 11:22 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(11-15-2011 07:19 PM)sbhikes Wrote:  Yeah, this worried me too, since I was on a 3000 mile long hiking trip, eating a daily calorie deficit and GAINING WEIGHT/FAT (gaining back what I had lost at the start), I figured I was one of the hopelessly broken ones. I'm starting to see some hope that perhaps, just maybe, I am not so far gone that I can't heal.

While I would love to be thin and beautiful, the truth is I have never been thin and beautiful so it's not a huge loss if I die without ever knowing what it's like. If I can at least be in good hiking shape, look fairly decent and not have to starve to do it, I suppose that if that's the best I can hope for it's not too bad a deal.

You can take comfort in the fact that while some of us have still not reached what we would regard as a desirable lower weight (although having lost plenty), those of us who have reported, have in the main, said that their major blood markers have improved, e.g. low triglycerides, good TG/HDL ratio, and "Pattern A" LDL.

And since, although there are still a few controversies and differences in view on fine detail, the longer I do this, the more evidence I seem to find that saturated fat is good, animal fat (which is a mixture), is good, provided that the animals are traditionally-reared, and that basically I made the right decision to go low carb, when I did. So the main "objection" on health grounds, by the mainstream, to LC, is completely without foundation (and always was), so that's good news.

There is still much to learn, and certainly no doubt tweaks to be made (I've made several this year and am sure will continue to do so).

People with severely damaged metabolisms/damaged thyroid function, may find it's not as straightforward as all that, and may have to do things that merely overweight, but relatively undamaged people won't have to worry about.

Also people who have sadly suffered kidney damage due to e.g. too high glucose levels, may also have to be very careful (e.g. with animal protein, and certain minerals).
Post: #65 RE: Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It - Gary Taubes , 11-19-2011 05:28 PM

Unregistered

(11-15-2011 07:19 PM)sbhikes Wrote:  
(07-23-2011 01:54 PM)Buttoni Wrote:  The only part that worried me is when he says some of us may have eaten so badly for so long, we may have done irreparable damage to our metabolism and may NEVER get down to the weight we desire, whether we do everything right or not.

Yeah, this worried me too, since I was on a 3000 mile long hiking trip, eating a daily calorie deficit and GAINING WEIGHT/FAT (gaining back what I had lost at the start), I figured I was one of the hopelessly broken ones. I'm starting to see some hope that perhaps, just maybe, I am not so far gone that I can't heal.

You absolutely can figure it out and get to the weight you want. No one has to settle for "can't get there."

It may take finding the right dr, and ignoring most of them. Bad info far outnumbers the good. You have to learn how to decide who is not helping and move on.

It took me 16 years, more drs and experts than I can write about, but only one knew what to do.
Post: #66 RE: Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It - Gary Taubes , 11-20-2011 06:51 AM
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2011 06:52 AM by tedhutchinson.)

Expert Low-Carber

(11-19-2011 05:28 PM)DFH Wrote:  It took me 16 years, more drs and experts than I can write about, but only one knew what to do.
It took me about the same number of years but I had to rely on the online advice of Dr's Dalhqvist, and Dr Ayer's but without Jimmy and Taubes I don't think I'd have put the ideas together.
Post: #67 RE: Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It - Gary Taubes , 02-12-2012 02:16 PM
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2012 02:20 PM by Bob_12dozen.)

Newbie Low-Carber

(02-03-2011 03:47 AM)Dave Wrote:  In case you all weren't aware, there is a Facebook page for this book:

http://www.facebook.com/whywegetfat

Thanks for posting that, I wasn't aware of it. I first heard of this book about a year ago, and started heeding the advice. I lost about 60 lbs. in the first 8 months. I've gained back about 6 or 7, but have kind of fallen off the wagon so to speak for the past couple of months. Not overwhelmingly, but I need to get back to paying attention and keeping track of my boundaries.

I stumbled across this site while researching effects of niacin related to low-carbing, which my doctor suggested, since I have refused to take statins or any other scripts. I really hate taking anything and won't even do simple aspirin unless I get a serious headache, which doesn't happen often. I went to the facebook page and liked it. The book was a turning point for me.
Post: #68 RE: Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It - Gary Taubes , 02-13-2012 08:14 AM

Unregistered

Good for you.

Taubes is doing a great job of driving the message that you really can manage "what goes in" properly to manage "what goes on inside" to get healthy and fit. The dietitians view is that none of that matters but calories, then they prescribe calories that muck up the machinery!
Post: #69 RE: Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It - Gary Taubes , 02-14-2012 11:21 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(02-12-2012 02:16 PM)Bob_12dozen Wrote:  I really hate taking anything and won't even do simple aspirin unless I get a serious headache, which doesn't happen often.

For what it's worth, aspirin is probably about the least harmful "medicine" one could take, with possible general anti-inflammatory effects beyond simple pain relief. Apart from Vitamin D3, it's about the only thing that I "take".

It's also extremely cheap of course.