Rating Thread Options
Carb Free Barbecue Sauce
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2010 01:49 PM by Rev.HaggisMacJedi.)

Expert Low-Carber

I thought that would get your attention!

http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/sauce_bbq.html

I get mine at the local grocery store. And for those of you wondering about ketosis, etc, this has been my secret weapon that I use 5-6 times a week, and have since I started Low Carbing (in earnest) in April of this year, and it hasn't once affected my losses or ketosis, and I really, REALLY slather this stuff on too. I usually buy several bottles at once.

[Image: 831.jpg]

The next time someone questions your Low-Carb way of life, and tries to give you "words of wisdom" against it, quote them these words from Michael Scott of NBC's "The Office": "I will swallow what you just said, digest it, and see what comes out the other end."

Check out my weight loss blog by clicking here!
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 10-04-2010 05:14 PM

Rev,

A few weeks ago, I purchased a bottle of Original flavor ... and tried a taste test. I was very disappointed in the taste, and have been afraid to cook with it thinking it might ruin the taste of the meat. Does it taste MUCH better after it cooks OR do you use it as a dipping sauce?

Thanks,
Kathy Wink

Kathy in Texas
LCing is no longer a temporary fix, it's my way of life! Wink

[Image: weight.png]
Post: #3 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 10-04-2010 06:45 PM

Expert Low-Carber

I use it as a basting sauce. Although, I do use it as a dipping sauce doctored up with some cayenne pepper. It is what it is...it's not K.C. Masterpiece. If you want that you'll need to add brown sugar, molasses, and corn syrup.

Normally I'll take a cheap chuck steak, sprinkle with tenderizer, poke it all over with a fork, brush melted butter over that, then brush the top with the Walden Farms BBQ sauce. I do that to both sides, then grill. Mmm, mmm good. It absolutely improves the flavor of cheap meat. I wouldn't use it on a $10 Ribeye, but I can't eat a $2.50 chuck steak without it.

The next time someone questions your Low-Carb way of life, and tries to give you "words of wisdom" against it, quote them these words from Michael Scott of NBC's "The Office": "I will swallow what you just said, digest it, and see what comes out the other end."

Check out my weight loss blog by clicking here!
Post: #4 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 10-05-2010 01:56 AM

Thanks for all the tips, Rev! I'm going to make a mini brisket tomorrow .. and will try out the BBQ sauce and let ya know how it all turns out.

Kathy in Texas

Post: #5 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 10-05-2010 02:11 PM

Expert Low-Carber

I was afraid to try Waldens sauces since I tried one of their other sauces awhile ago (alfredo maybe) and it was nasty. However, after I used my last bottle of my beloved KC Masterpiece sf bbq sauce, I decided to try the Walden's bbq sauce and I thought it was pretty good. I'm a little put off by the ingredients, but I have it in my cabinet and use it occasionally. All in all, not bad.
Post: #6 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 10-05-2010 05:36 PM

I've got 5 1/2 bottles of KC Masterpiece left in my stash. When that's gone I'm going to start making my own sauce using the recipe below. It costs me about 60¢ to make vs. the $1.55 I used to pay for the KCM.

SMOKY BBQ SAUCE II
6 ounce can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed

Whisk everything together in a medium pot. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.

Makes 2 cups

With granular Splenda:
Per 2 tablespoons: 17 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; .5g Dietary Fiber; 3.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/4 cup: 34 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per 2 tablespoons: 14 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; .5g Dietary Fiber; 2.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/4 cup: 28 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 6.5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 5.5g Net Carbs

My sites:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
In the Kitchen with Linda Blog
Post: #7 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 10-05-2010 05:50 PM

Thanks Linda for sharing your BBQ sauce recipe ... Wink How long can you keep it before it turns bad?

And, have you tried cooking with Truvia? From what I can tell, the packets have NO carbs.

Kathy in Texas

Post: #8 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 10-05-2010 06:46 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Linda - Does this taste similar to the KCM sauce?
Post: #9 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 10-06-2010 12:22 PM

(10-05-2010 05:50 PM)BIKINIBOUNDINTX Wrote:  Thanks Linda for sharing your BBQ sauce recipe ... Wink How long can you keep it before it turns bad?

I've only made the recipe once so far and I used it up before it could go bad. It should last quite a while though. I make homemade LC ketchup and it keeps for months.

My sites:
Post: #10 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 10-06-2010 12:24 PM

(10-05-2010 06:46 PM)MarieD Wrote:  Linda - Does this taste similar to the KCM sauce?

Kinda, sorta. It's not quite as good but I like it the best of all the homemade BBQ sauce recipes I've tried so far.

My sites:
Post: #11 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 10-06-2010 05:32 PM

(10-06-2010 12:22 PM)LindaSue Wrote:  
(10-05-2010 05:50 PM)BIKINIBOUNDINTX Wrote:  Thanks Linda for sharing your BBQ sauce recipe ... Wink How long can you keep it before it turns bad?

I've only made the recipe once so far and I used it up before it could go bad. It should last quite a while though. I make homemade LC ketchup and it keeps for months.

Thanks Linda! Wink

Kathy in Texas

Post: #12 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 02-08-2011 01:50 AM

Expert Low-Carber

I just found a Kraft Light Original BBQ sauce. It has 4 carbs per 2 Tbsp. serving. Haven't tried it yet, plan to make pulled pork with it in a day or so. Anyone got any feedback on this one?
Post: #13 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 02-08-2011 02:32 PM

(02-08-2011 01:50 AM)darwinlily Wrote:  I just found a Kraft Light Original BBQ sauce. It has 4 carbs per 2 Tbsp. serving. Haven't tried it yet, plan to make pulled pork with it in a day or so. Anyone got any feedback on this one?

Thanks for the scoop on BBQ sauce! I was just looking for some yesterday at Walmart and didn't see anything LC on the shelf. I can't stand the Walden Farms brand .... so will definitely look for this one.

What store did you see it in?

Kathy in Texas

Post: #14 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 02-08-2011 08:54 PM
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2011 08:55 PM by darwinlily.)

Expert Low-Carber

(02-08-2011 02:32 PM)BIKINIBOUNDINTX Wrote:  
(02-08-2011 01:50 AM)darwinlily Wrote:  I just found a Kraft Light Original BBQ sauce. It has 4 carbs per 2 Tbsp. serving. Haven't tried it yet, plan to make pulled pork with it in a day or so. Anyone got any feedback on this one?

Thanks for the scoop on BBQ sauce! I was just looking for some yesterday at Walmart and didn't see anything LC on the shelf. I can't stand the Walden Farms brand .... so will definitely look for this one.

What store did you see it in?

I got it at my local Wegmans, and upon doing an internet search it popped up at Walmart.com as well. I hope you have luck finding it - I'm going to try mine out tomorrow - will let you know what I think of it.
Post: #15 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 02-10-2011 01:53 AM

Expert Low-Carber

Kraft Light Original BBQ Sauce - here's what I think of it. It was OK. It was pleasantly BBQ flavored, but probably not a strong enough flavor for me. I ended up having to use more of it than I would have liked to in order to get a good flavor. And it has 5 grams of carbs per 2 Tbsp, so I misquoted that. Where I live, we have the Dinosaur Barbecue (which is AWESOME BTW if you are ever in Syracuse, NY) and their sauces are sold at all of the local grocery stores. I noticed that it only had 6 grams of carbs for the same serving size as the Kraft, but I chose the Kraft because 1 carb is 1 carb after all and I like to keep them as low as I can. In retrospect, I think I would do the Dinosaur sauce next time and here's why: The flavor is very good and strong/bold with the Dinosaur sauce. I think I would save carbs in the end because I would use less to get my barbecue fix. If I didn't have the Dinosaur sauce to turn to in the same "carb range" I would definitely buy the Kraft sauce again. And I think it is much better than the Walden Farms sauce. But then, 0 vs 5 carbs may really make that decision for you depending on how you manage your carbs.
Post: #16 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 02-10-2011 10:56 AM

(02-10-2011 01:53 AM)darwinlily Wrote:  Kraft Light Original BBQ Sauce - here's what I think of it. It was OK. It was pleasantly BBQ flavored, but probably not a strong enough flavor for me. I ended up having to use more of it than I would have liked to in order to get a good flavor. And it has 5 grams of carbs per 2 Tbsp, so I misquoted that. Where I live, we have the Dinosaur Barbecue (which is AWESOME BTW if you are ever in Syracuse, NY) and their sauces are sold at all of the local grocery stores. I noticed that it only had 6 grams of carbs for the same serving size as the Kraft, but I chose the Kraft because 1 carb is 1 carb after all and I like to keep them as low as I can. In retrospect, I think I would do the Dinosaur sauce next time and here's why: The flavor is very good and strong/bold with the Dinosaur sauce. I think I would save carbs in the end because I would use less to get my barbecue fix. If I didn't have the Dinosaur sauce to turn to in the same "carb range" I would definitely buy the Kraft sauce again. And I think it is much better than the Walden Farms sauce. But then, 0 vs 5 carbs may really make that decision for you depending on how you manage your carbs.

Maybe adding Worcheshire (sp?) sauce to the Kraft might give it a kick. I'm all about watching my carbs, but definitely won't be buying the Walden Farms again. I believe LindaSue also has a BBQ recipe if you want to make a homemade sauce. Thanks for your review. I think I'll buy some Kraft and try it. Wink

Kathy in Texas

Post: #17 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 08-01-2011 09:23 AM

Unregistered

Ingredients

* 1 cup prepared yellow mustard
* 1/2 cup granular no-calorie sucralose sweetener (e.g., Splenda ®)
* 3/4 cup cider vinegar
* 2 tablespoons chili powder
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring

Directions

1. In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the mustard, sweetener, cider vinegar, chili powder, black pepper, white pepper, and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Stir in the soy sauce, butter, and liquid smoke; simmer for 10 more minutes. Cool completely, and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors before using.
Post: #18 RE: Carb Free Barbecue Sauce , 08-01-2011 11:26 AM

Senior Low-Carber

http://generalhorticulture.tamu.edu/prof...sauce.html

This is an Aggie BBQ sauce *tomato based* and very simple. I think I'll make a batch this afternoon. I will use the Splenda brown sugar which is vastly improved over the old formula and may use apple cider vinegar in place of regular vinegar. My fave BBQ sauce comes from the Luling City Market (world known brisket) in Luling, TX, but the recipe is secret and they don't bottle and sell it retail. I always bring home two pints in styrofoam. It's rather thin but definitely has the tomato and cider vinegar thing going in it.

Smile Happy to be a grammaSmile[size=large]