Rating Thread Options
erythritol

Junior Low-Carber

I've been doing low carb for a few months and find myself hankering for a little sweetness, so I purchased some erythritol to make some low carb ice-cream. For the first time in many months, I'm feeling hmmm.... unsatisfied. Now I'm worried the erythritol is messing up my blood sugar/insulin response.

Has anyone used erythritol? If so, did you experience weight gain or other symptoms?

I haven't really had many cravings sweets, but when I started reading recipes with erythritol in them I thought it might be a nice change of pace; therefore, the "hankering" not "craving."
Quote this message in a reply

Advanced Low-Carber

I do not have any problems with it and neither does my daughter. I have lost 45 pounds using it and I think it helps me to lose weight because I don't really crave, but I just LOVE dessert and it is nice to be able to have it once in a while.

[Image: 56026.png]

Unregistered

(10-17-2009 07:57 PM)Boudi Wrote:  I've been doing low carb for a few months and find myself hankering for a little sweetness, so I purchased some erythritol to make some low carb ice-cream. For the first time in many months, I'm feeling hmmm.... unsatisfied. Now I'm worried the erythritol is messing up my blood sugar/insulin response.

Has anyone used erythritol? If so, did you experience weight gain or other symptoms?

I haven't really had many cravings sweets, but when I started reading recipes with erythritol in them I thought it might be a nice change of pace; therefore, the "hankering" not "craving."

There should be no physiological reason for problems with erythritol. It is the only sugar alcohol that is absorbed to the bloodstream and is not significantly metabolized by humans. If I recall correctly, it has 0.2 cal/g. Now if eating "sweets" triggers something, that's another story, but this shouldn't play with your BG/insulin levels.

This seems to be a much better alternative to maltitol, sorbitol, etc.

Junior Low-Carber

Most of erythritol is not absorbed by the body, and in fact over 90% of it is excreted within 24 hours. It will not mess with your blood sugar. Period. In fact, it's highly recommended for diabetics.

I use Truvia, which is a combo of stevia and erythritol, and the taste is wonderful. I actually like it better than Splenda.

I've also used just plain erythritol in baking. It's great for baking because it gives the same baking properties as sugar - without the sugar. But it's less sweet than sugar, so you need to use a tad more.

All in all, I love erythritol and am grateful it's on the market.

Expert Low-Carber

(10-18-2009 10:08 AM)inspirit Wrote:  I use Truvia, which is a combo of stevia and erythritol, and the taste is wonderful. I actually like it better than Splenda.

Thanks for the great info. So many people are recommending Truvia that I'm going to have to check it out! I rarely use sweeteners, but the holidays are coming and I may want to do some baking.

Advanced Low-Carber

If you want to bake for the holidays using erythritol and stevia I highly suggest this blog: http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/ I bake using the recipes from this site every week. I have listed this before but I really like it.

Expert Low-Carber

What a good blog, those quick breads look fabulous! Have you made any of them?

No Longer in Texas, but can't change my name Big Grin

I was on the side of righteousness, and like any fundamentalist, I could only stay there by avoiding information. - Lierre Keith

Expert Low-Carber

(10-21-2009 12:23 PM)lowcarbteacher Wrote:  If you want to bake for the holidays using erythritol and stevia I highly suggest this blog: http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/

Wow, thanks! That site looks great!! :-)
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2009 02:12 PM by lowcarbteacher.)

Advanced Low-Carber

I have made most of the recipes on this blog. I have not found a bad one yet, they are all great. My daughter takes the chocolate chip cookies in her lunch everyday and eats the brownies for breakfast. She has maintained her 37 lb weight loss for about 6 months now. She is so happy in school this year.
I am making the pumpkin cake this weekend. These recipes are especially great if you have children.

Expert Low-Carber

(10-21-2009 02:10 PM)lowcarbteacher Wrote:  These recipes are especially great if you have children.

Not yet! But working on it. ;-)