Rating Thread Options
Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth
Post: #1 Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-14-2009 06:58 PM

Expert Low-Carber

I can't chew, well, a teensy bit, but it's going to hurt a lot. Dentist said that it was very important to eat. I shot down all his suggestions: Oatmeal, ice cream, pudding, etc.

I'm all for just fasting a few days, he said no, I said that I would have no problem fasting the way I feel, but you know how people are...they think you need food.

Anyway, aside from soup and scrambled eggs, I'm trying to come up with something to eat that is lc. I'm sensitive to maltilol, so candy is out.

I have 4 quarts of excellent chicken broth, but don't feel like prepping tons of veggies, so maybe a cream of something? Tomorrow or the next, I'll probably feel well enough to make some fancy soups. Right now, I want dead easy...preferably fast food (know that's not happening).

I have a pretty full pantry and Donnie waiting to run errands or get me anything I want to eat.

Checked all the soups at Jason's Deli...none of them are acceptable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

No Longer in Texas, but can't change my name Big Grin

I was on the side of righteousness, and like any fundamentalist, I could only stay there by avoiding information. - Lierre Keith
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-14-2009 07:20 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Oh yeah and they said no carbonation, so diet soda is out. I never drink it, but thought it might feel good. I'm not hungry anyway and how do I eat with an icepack on my face constantly?

Now I'm feeling grumpy about this. The dentist should just leave me alone about eating. If I want to eat, I'll eat. If not, the human body can survive fine without food for a few days as long as I'm getting enough water.

Heck with 'em, I'm not eating ice cream, mashed potatoes, oatmeal or anything that isn't in my food list.

I was on the side of righteousness, and like any fundamentalist, I could only stay there by avoiding information. - Lierre Keith
Post: #3 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-14-2009 07:35 PM

How about some panna cotta or custard? Mock Rice Pudding is pretty soft too as long as the little bits of cottage cheese don't get caught in your dental work. Maybe the recipe would work with ricotta instead but I haven't tried that.

My sites:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
In the Kitchen with Linda Blog
Post: #4 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-14-2009 08:02 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(09-14-2009 07:35 PM)LindaSue Wrote:  How about some panna cotta or custard? Mock Rice Pudding is pretty soft too as long as the little bits of cottage cheese don't get caught in your dental work. Maybe the recipe would work with ricotta instead but I haven't tried that.

Do you have low carb recipes for that? There are so many soft foods I could eat if I didn't care about staying in induction. I have homemade stock in the fridge, plus a pretty well stocked pantry.

Staying away from milk during induction, but I can have cream.

Biggest problem is that I'm not hungry at all and the dentist is pushing me to eat. Apparently he wants me to eat this way for a week. That's a lot of scrambled eggs, ya know? Smile

Sweeteners for custard could be a problem since I don't like Splenda and Organic Zero supposedly leaves an aftertaste.

I know, I can eat tuna and egg salad, too. It won't be so bad and I'm planning to end the week with a 2-3 pound weight loss. Now I just have to feel better enough by tonight to walk Pepper. We walked 1.5 miles this morning, but that's not enough Smile

Post: #5 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-14-2009 11:15 PM

Unregistered

(09-14-2009 06:58 PM)deannaintx Wrote:  I can't chew, well, a teensy bit, but it's going to hurt a lot. Dentist said that it was very important to eat. I shot down all his suggestions: Oatmeal, ice cream, pudding, etc.

...Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I wish I had more suggestions to offer. I wasn't doing LC when I had my surgeries so I ate ice cream and mashed potatoes from KFC. Obviously not on your menu. Well I suppose you haven't mentioned the mashed cauliflower substitute for the potatoes so you might try that.

IAC, sorry I can't be of more help. It's a few days. Eat eggs Big Grin Maybe make a protein drink or two. This too should pass before you get toooo bored.

Hope you're feeling back to yourself soon and that you don't get bruised up! Poor hubby, when I had mine done the swelling wasn't too bad, but a day later I got a bruise that started on my lower cheek that eventually traveled up to under my eye. Got some really weird looks out shopping and hubby got a lot of dirty ones!
Post: #6 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-15-2009 12:42 AM

I second the protein shake. You can dress it up different ways for variety. I made one with chocolate flavored whey protein, coffee, HWC, and splenda that tastes like a mocha frap without the ice.
Post: #7 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-15-2009 12:42 AM

PS I hope you feel better soon.
Post: #8 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-15-2009 01:16 AM

Expert Low-Carber

Thanks everyone! I got some good recipes from my cooking forum and surprisingly enough, only a couple had ingredients I couldn't use. But of course, mentioning that I'm lc'ing started a firestorm over there. Geez. The worst of them said that keeping trim was just a matter of portion size. Of course, that person was severely underweight until she was 55. When she goes on a diet it's because she's 67 yo and put on 3 pounds, sheesh.

I didn't eat much of anything today. I did have tuna salad before I went in (I was awake for the procedure) but when I got home, nothing sounded good. I have this beautiful chicken broth that I can make into all sorts of good soups, but not today.

I forced down half a V8 and that's been it for today.

Post: #9 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-15-2009 02:35 AM

Advanced Low-Carber

We're in the same boat. I had an extraction today and am looking at soft foods and shakes for a few days, too.

Here's an easy soup, cream of broccoli. Steam or boil a pound of fresh or frozen broccoli florets just till tender. Put them in your blender, add a cup or so of chicken stock and process till smooth. Add some cream. I usually add half a cup. You could put in a couple of ounces of cream cheese instead. Pour the stuff back into the pan you used to cook the broccoli, under low heat, and add more chicken stock till you have the consistency you like. Before adding salt, decide if you want to add some grated cheese. Cheese, especially parmesan, when it's melted in the soup, makes it taste wonderful, but it's pretty salty. Alternatively, you could sprinkle some cheese on top of the soup in the bowl. This makes up pretty fast, and I think it tastes great.

When you can chew, heat up some sliced sausage into the soup. Makes a nice meal.

Buttonwillow
Los Angeles, Calif.

Leptin reset, May 2012
Strict Paleo, August 2012
Strict Ketosis, Oct. 2013
Post: #10 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-15-2009 03:26 AM

Expert Low-Carber

Thanks, Button, that looks great!

Post: #11 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-15-2009 10:33 AM

Buttonwillow's soup recipe reminded me of this one:

CAULIFLOWER BISQUE
1 small cauliflower, cut into small chunks, about 20 ounces after trimming
1 small onion, diced or leeks, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped *

In a 3-quart saucepan, saut

My sites:
Post: #12 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-15-2009 10:36 AM

(09-14-2009 08:02 PM)deannaintx Wrote:  
(09-14-2009 07:35 PM)LindaSue Wrote:  How about some panna cotta or custard? Mock Rice Pudding is pretty soft too as long as the little bits of cottage cheese don't get caught in your dental work. Maybe the recipe would work with ricotta instead but I haven't tried that.

Do you have low carb recipes for that? There are so many soft foods I could eat if I didn't care about staying in induction. I have homemade stock in the fridge, plus a pretty well stocked pantry.

The links to the recipes are right there in my post with the blue text.

panna cotta
custard
Mock Rice Pudding

My sites:
Post: #13 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-15-2009 07:50 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(09-14-2009 06:58 PM)deannaintx Wrote:  I can't chew, well, a teensy bit, but it's going to hurt a lot.

How do you feel about smoothies? I make this berry protein shake a lot:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/beverag...yshake.htm
Post: #14 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-16-2009 04:04 AM

Senior Low-Carber

Sure, you can survive a few days without food, but your body needs nutrients and energy to heal.

I had braces and orthognathic surgery a few years ago to move my lower jaw forward. My saviour was my Braun immersion blender. I found that I could eat just about anything if I could blend it. Of course, I wasn't doing low-carb then, but still, that would apply to your meats and veggies.

How about pasta made with Dreamfields noodles and blended up a bit?
Post: #15 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-20-2009 04:29 AM

Expert Low-Carber

I'm not going to be eating anything hard for at least another week or two. Thanks for the ideas, I appreciate them. I need to try organic zero in recipes, so far I've only been using it straight, but I can't abide the taste of Splenda.

I did make a cream of broccoli soup and added a few touches to it, I'll post it in a new thread.

I need to get some protein powder, but the few times I've tried protein shakes, they were nasty, lol. Maybe someone can recommend.

I can try my immersion blender with pasta. Have to be VERY careful with Dreamfields not to overcook, so I had been avoiding it for that reason. I am one of those people who cannot exceed the portion size without disaster, either.

Post: #16 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-25-2009 01:13 PM

Expert Low-Carber

My mom used to make her own baby food for all of us kids. She would take a small piece of whatever meat she had cooked for dinner, and chop it up very finely with a knife (she didn't have a blender or food processor) and mix it with mashed potatoes. Then she would add a small amount of whatever cooked vegetable we were having, also very finely chopped. If he can eat mashed potatoes, you might try adding a bit of finely ground or chopped cooked chicken or turkey, and see if he likes it. It kind of reminds me of Shepherd's pie, only with a smoother consistency. Of course, for the babies mom never seasoned it, but for an adult you could use any seasoning they like.

You might also add pureed cooked vegetables, or just eat them separately. I am assuming this person is not on a very low carb diet since they eat potatoes, so vegetables I would recommend for pureeing would be carrots, green beans, beets, turnips, summer squash or zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli--you can get very creative. Of course cooked fruits are easy to puree and this time of year the peaches are wonderful--just poach them for 30 seconds so the skin will slip off, take the seed out, and pulse in the blender. Yum!
Post: #17 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-29-2009 06:40 PM
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2009 06:40 PM by deannaintx.)

Expert Low-Carber

great ideas, thank you!

Post: #18 RE: Need Soft Food Ideas for Sore Mouth , 09-30-2009 02:49 AM

Advanced Low-Carber

With that tasty broth you could make egg drop soup. That's quick and nourishing. Also, with Linda's custard idea where you don't use sweeteners, how about making it savory with cheese? It would be on the idea of a crustless cheese quiche. A couple of drops of hot sauce in the egg mix would zip it up a bit too.

[Image: weight.png]