Rating Thread Options
Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch
Post: #1 Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-11-2009 01:12 PM

Expert Low-Carber

I still need to find some, but when I do, I have no idea what the ratio is to sub xanthan for cornstarch/flour in gravies and sauces. I assume you know, Linda Smile

I am dying for Eggs Foo Yung, but the sauce requires thickening. This is the sauce I usually made:

EGG FOO YUNG SAUCE

* 2 cups beef broth
* 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce
* 3 tablespoons cornstarch

Does it sub one for one or should I just start adding and see? Does it thicken immediately or does it have to be heated like flour and cornstarch?

No Longer in Texas, but can't change my name Big Grin

I was on the side of righteousness, and like any fundamentalist, I could only stay there by avoiding information. - Lierre Keith
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-11-2009 01:49 PM

Expert Low-Carber

I beleive there are guidelines on the package, but I don't have one handy. You don't need a lot of xanthan gum, usually less than 1 teaspoon. I find that it takes longer to thicken than flour or cornstarch. I have found it a Kroger in the natural foods section with Bob's Red Mill products.

I personally perfer ThickenThin not Starch by Expert Foods.

http://www.expertfoods.com/notStarch.php

Xanthan gum can make things a little slimy, but I've had good results with ThickenThin. You can get it for less at netrition.com or other on-line low carb outlets.

Sugar is the enemy; fat is my friend. The only bad fats are artificial fats.
Low Fat & Fat Free -- tastes bad, bad for you.
Post: #3 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-11-2009 01:57 PM

Unregistered

(09-11-2009 01:12 PM)deannaintx Wrote:  I still need to find some, but when I do, I have no idea what the ratio is to sub xanthan for cornstarch/flour in gravies and sauces. I assume you know, Linda Smile

I am dying for Eggs Foo Yung, but the sauce requires thickening. This is the sauce I usually made:

EGG FOO YUNG SAUCE

* 2 cups beef broth
* 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce
* 3 tablespoons cornstarch

Does it sub one for one or should I just start adding and see? Does it thicken immediately or does it have to be heated like flour and cornstarch?

Start small Smile A little xanthan goes a long way. I once almost seized up a blender with not a whole lot.

Mix like a quarter tsp in a little liquid before adding to the sauce. You can always add more.

Xanthan is my favorite LC thickener.
Post: #4 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-11-2009 02:46 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Thanks for the advice! Thicken Thin is a mixture of 4 different products, I guess I'd never get it right and would spend more to make my own, but 24 tsp for 15.00 seems so expensive. I guess that's what it costs, oh well Smile

I was on the side of righteousness, and like any fundamentalist, I could only stay there by avoiding information. - Lierre Keith
Post: #5 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-11-2009 07:09 PM

(09-11-2009 02:46 PM)deannaintx Wrote:  Thanks for the advice! Thicken Thin is a mixture of 4 different products, I guess I'd never get it right and would spend more to make my own, but 24 tsp for 15.00 seems so expensive. I guess that's what it costs, oh well Smile

That's awfully expensive. Xanthan gum isn't cheap. I think I spent around $10 for my bag but I'm still on the first, or at most the second bag of it in all these years I've been low carb cooking. It lasts forever. I bought mine at Kroger too but I bet they'd have it at HEB if you have those near you. I've never seen a chart or anything like that which gives ratios of liquid to xanthan gum or comparing it to cornstarch, etc.

I tend to just start with about an 1/8 of a teaspoon and add another 1/8 if it's not enough. If I'm making a really big batch of something I might start with 1/4 teaspoon.

Although you can very slowly whisk xanthan gum into hot liquid, I think that the easiest way is to add it either to the dry spices, if there are any, or sprinkle it over the solids in the pot. For example, if I'm making sloppy joes, I will sprinkle it over and mix it into the ground beef before I add the tomato sauce. Doing it like that you don't need to be so careful and worry about it clumping. If there's already some liquid in the pot, such as with a stir-fry, I just push the solids off to one side of the pan and do the sprinkle and mix thing that way. Clumping doesn't seem to be a problem unless there's a lot of liquid.

Gravy is a bit more tricky because you will have to gradually whisk it in. Just remember that it takes a few minutes to fully thicken so don't be tempted to add too much at first. A small saucepan of gravy might only take about 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum.

Another good use for xanthan gum is in shakes and smoothies that are made in a blender. It helps keep the crushed ice suspended in the liquid for a much smoother, less icy, consistency. Before you start adding in the ice cubes, gradually sprinkle the xanthan gum through the top of the blender as it blends on high speed. Once it's all added start dropping in ice cubes one at a time. I use about 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum per blenderful. It really makes a huge difference.

My sites:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
In the Kitchen with Linda Blog
Post: #6 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-11-2009 08:53 PM

Expert Low-Carber

So you can't make a slurry from it? That does make it a bit tricky, huh? I looked at HEB and they didn't have it. I think there's a health food store somewhere here, I'm going to have to look it up. Thanks

Post: #7 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-12-2009 12:28 PM

Now that I think about it, I think that I may have bought my first bag at Central Market but that was quite a few years ago. I've never tried making a slurry, I guess because I'd never heard of anyone using xanthan gum that way. Also, when I do my recipe testing I like to measure the xanthan gum carefully so that I'll know exactly how much I end up using. That way those who make my recipes won't have to guess at the amount to use.

My sites:
Post: #8 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-12-2009 02:14 PM

Expert Low-Carber

I'm going to check on that with my cooking forum, there's a celiac cook there that uses it from what I recall.

I found Xantham on netrition, where renegade sent me to look at ThickenThin. They have a LOT of great low carb items for sale and their shipping and prices are extremely reasonable, so I'm going to get it.

Have you ever tried Carbalose? Looks extremely promising, at least for coating. It's gotten a lot of good reviews. I don't like almonds or coconut, so using products made from them is out for me. I'm hoping that carbalose would work well.

Post: #9 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-12-2009 03:00 PM

Expert Low-Carber

I forgot to post the link to the carbalose. Now I'm thinking I found that site in a link from Amazon.com. I'm so confused...and getting blonder by the minute Smile

http://www.netrition.com/tova_carbalose_page.html

Post: #10 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-12-2009 03:03 PM

I did try Carbalose flour when it first came out. I was involved in the Carbalose thread at Low Carb Friends. You might want to read that first to see if you're still interested in trying it. I had fun playing with it but quickly lost interest. I really don't care about eating bread or bread substitutes. I kept making all these recipes and then didn't feel like eating them. After a few years I dumped out what was left of my flour. I did the same with Carbquik.

My sites:
Post: #11 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-12-2009 03:30 PM

Expert Low-Carber

I'm not really interested in making bread, either, but I was thinking it might work well for dredging. I guess it won't work as a thickener? I'm mainly looking for a flour sub. that I can use for coatings on meats, fish, etc.

What I really want are low carb bread crumbs for my meatloaf and various meatball recipes. They'll hold together without them, but they're fragile.

Funny...I have always baked my meatballs, too. Smile

Post: #12 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-12-2009 06:35 PM

Here's a link to my Carbalose white sauce experiment. It's been a long time since I made it but I seem to remember that it took nearly twice as much Carbalose flour as regular flour so in the end you don't have that much of a carb savings. It would probably work fine for dredging though and the light coating of flour would probably help thicken any sauces that you simmer the meat in. But, Carbalose can have an unpleasant aftertaste so it might not be so nice in a very delicately flavored sauce.

I got the idea to bake meatballs from my Mom. That's how she always made them.

My sites:
Post: #13 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-12-2009 08:26 PM

Unregistered

(09-12-2009 03:30 PM)deannaintx Wrote:  What I really want are low carb bread crumbs for my meatloaf and various meatball recipes. They'll hold together without them, but they're fragile.

I up the eggs in meatballs (and meatloaf for that matter) which helps, but I also make my own LC breadcrumbs. Pepperidge farms makes an LC bread that's inexpensive and available in my local grocery. (Arnold makes one too, harder to find in these parts). I toast up a few slices or do them in the oven. Let sit out overnight, then chop up. If needed I put them in a baggie and pulverize some more or throw 'em in the blender/processor for real bread crumbs.

To be honest, if I want something breaded I just eat the real thing, but there's no reason these won't work just fine for breading. They work great in my meatloaf (I make more stuffing shreds than crumbs).

I was interested in the carbalose there for a while until Linda Sue posted in response to my query and I read some more on it. After that I decided not to bother.
Post: #14 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-12-2009 08:30 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Yes, more eggs will help, but I used to soak a french roll in milk and then tear it up and put it into the meatloaf. I can never remember the proper term for that, but it helps to keep the meat moist. Unless I can find some LC bread, I can't do that anymore.

I think after I've been going a while, putting 1 TB of bread crumbs into 2-3 pounds of meat won't be such a big deal. Right now, I'll just avoid it.

Post: #15 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-12-2009 09:29 PM

Unregistered

(09-12-2009 08:30 PM)deannaintx Wrote:  Unless I can find some LC bread, I can't do that anymore.

There are many here who swear by Julian Bakery breads. Too expensive for me as I'm not a big bread eater and think that would be a waste to use as a filler! But Pepperidge and Arnold are regulars in the groceries here, even in the boonies where you say you live you might be able to find them there. The ones I buy are 5-7 net.
Post: #16 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-13-2009 12:03 AM

Expert Low-Carber

Yes, I stumbled upon those today. They are pricey, but in the amounts I'd use them, they'll be fine. Breads keep for months in the freezer. I've always kept every bit of bread I buy frozen from the time I get them home since we don't consume enough to keep it from spoiling.

I amazed my ex's relatives by proving to them that their precious bolillos tasted the same 2 months later coming out of the freezer as they did the first day. I was the only person on the block who would buy 2-3 months' supply of bread. Heck with this going to the bakery every morning at 5 am Smile

Post: #17 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-13-2009 01:17 PM

Senior Low-Carber

(09-12-2009 02:14 PM)deannaintx Wrote:  I found Xantham on netrition, where renegade sent me to look at ThickenThin. They have a LOT of great low carb items for sale and their shipping and prices are extremely reasonable, so I'm going to get it.

I bought one bottle of the NOW xantham gum from Netrition.com ($8) about three years ago, and, as Linda says, it lasts forever. I use it in 1/8 and 1/4 teaspoon amounts for everything from thickening chili to keeping my protein shakes from separating.

I also have a bag of Thick-n-thin, but I prefer the xantham gum.

Jim

"KeldiKlutz"
Jim Elwell
Post: #18 RE: Subbing Xanthan for Cornstarch , 09-13-2009 01:44 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(09-13-2009 01:17 PM)KeldiKlutz Wrote:  
(09-12-2009 02:14 PM)deannaintx Wrote:  I found Xantham on netrition, where renegade sent me to look at ThickenThin. They have a LOT of great low carb items for sale and their shipping and prices are extremely reasonable, so I'm going to get it.

I bought one bottle of the NOW xantham gum from Netrition.com ($8) about three years ago, and, as Linda says, it lasts forever. I use it in 1/8 and 1/4 teaspoon amounts for everything from thickening chili to keeping my protein shakes from separating.

I also have a bag of Thick-n-thin, but I prefer the xantham gum.

Jim

Thanks for your input, I was still trying to decide between them. I have a shopping cart over there, just waiting for me to finish up. Smile