Rating Thread Options
BMR / RMR Testing

Unregistered

Anyone actually have this 10 minute breath test done? How did it compare to what is calculated using the various formulas? I would really like to have this done just for my own info as to what my metabolism really is at.
Quote this message in a reply

Expert Low-Carber

I have no idea what this test is. Can you break it down to layman's terms?

Unregistered

(07-22-2009 01:16 AM)Heyitsdenise Wrote:  I have no idea what this test is. Can you break it down to layman's terms?

Near as I can tell you breath into a machine at rest and it measures the amount of CO2 you exhale -- apparently over a 10 minute period. The CO2 expired is directly related to calories burned and used to calculate your actual BMR (aka RMR). I think an endocrinologist can request this type of test if you have symptoms of hypothyroidism, etc.

I haven't done this test, but I can tell you that you can get pretty close to figuring this out by tracking all your foods and exercise in fitday for a couple of months (or even weeks) and noting how your weight changes (or doesn't).

There are also a ton of online calculators out there that will figure this but they measure relatively high for me (Alot of them use weight to figure metabolism so if you are overweight, it's not as accurate.)

Unregistered

(07-22-2009 10:47 AM)Hogsfan Wrote:  I haven't done this test, but I can tell you that you can get pretty close to figuring this out by tracking all your foods and exercise in fitday for a couple of months (or even weeks) and noting how your weight changes (or doesn't).

There are also a ton of online calculators out there that will figure this but they measure relatively high for me (Alot of them use weight to figure metabolism so if you are overweight, it's not as accurate.)

Probably, but you add in exercise and just general activity level into the equation day to day. I would like to do this twice. Once now, and after I reach my ticker goal weight. To see if the BMR was actually altered in some way by the calorie levels I've been consuming. Thing is, realistically, the BMR will probably be lower once I lose another ~20% of body weight regardless of the dietetic means to get there. Still would be nice to have an objective measure such as this.

I'm pretty sure what my average calorie usage has been for this last almost year of maintaining. It is well below what is calculated even for a sedentary woman of my size. That said, I don't consider myself to have a particularly low metabolism if that makes any sense.

Expert Low-Carber

BMR (basal metabolic rate) is the rate at which the body expends energy for maintenance activities, such as keeping the body alive, organ functions etc. The BMR is very different from your actual metabolic rate (AMR), which is what you use to calculate amounts of calories needed per day. I can figure both out for you, just need your bodyweight, activity level & percent bodyfat for calculating. If you know any experienced people trained to do it, have them take an 8 point bodyfat measuremnet with calipers. That will give you an accurate measure of how many pounds of bodyfat and lean body weight you are carrying. Be very specific with your activity level..... list activities, duration, frequency etc.

Kathy Coe
CFT, SPN, MT
Refinery Fitness Center

Expert Low-Carber

>>Thing is, realistically, the BMR will probably be lower once I lose another ~20% of body weight regardless of the dietetic means to get there. Still would be nice to have an objective measure such as this.<<

No doubt, your BMR will be lower as you lose weight, no matter what diet is used. That's because as you lose bodyfat, you also lose some muscle....even if you eat pure protein and nothing else. Muscle is your metabolic friend and burns calories, increasing your BMR. Bodybuilders try to lose as little muscle as possible by eating very little fat or carbs when cutting. They literally peel off fat when they switch over to HP/LF/LC after being on a lowfat high carb program throughout off season training. They acutally put on LBW and take off fat during the first few weeks of cutting....then the metabolism slows. It's amazing how dramatically the foods you eat can affect your LBW, BMR and body fat. They call it 'cutting', because you are essentially cutting out almost all fats and carbs for about 6-12 weeks and liveing on lean protein like egg whites and chicken breast. Limited amounts of lettuce and veggies. Works everytime to help competitors lose a lot of bodyfat, but it's NOT by any mens healthy or intended to follow long term.

Kathy Coe
CFT, SPN, MT
Refinery Fitness Center