Rating Thread Options
Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil
Post: #21 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-11-2009 09:14 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

(06-11-2009 08:56 PM)black57 Wrote:  
(06-11-2009 01:16 PM)JediChick Wrote:  What does MCT oil taste like? I've been making my own coconut "candy" with coconut oil. I mix the 3 tablespoons with a packet of spenda and some sugar free chocolate flavored powder I get online. I leave it in the refrigerator and eat it when it's very cold. If the MCT oil tastes okay, I'll replace the olive oil I use in salad dressing.

MCT oil tastes like nothing. I sometimes put it in a glass of water. What I like most about it is that it doesn't solidify. It stays in liquid form so it is good for dressings and I will drizzle MCT oil into my smoothies.

I can drink 2 cups of coffee ( one with CO and one with MCT oil ) and I can tell which is which, blindfolded, by the way I feel afterward.Shy

So, which one makes you feel better? I have ordered both.

[Image: 56026.png]
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #22 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-11-2009 09:27 PM

Expert Low-Carber

MCT oil can make you jump buildings in a single bound. I feel that coconut oil helps complete the health benefits and it is a comfort food. Can't have too much comfort. I don't know if the oils contribute to this but I sleep much more soundly.
Post: #23 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-11-2009 09:31 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2009 09:32 PM by lowcarbteacher.)

Advanced Low-Carber

Sounds wonderful, thanks!!!! Sometimes, I need to be able to jump buildings since I teach high school Smile

Post: #24 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-11-2009 09:39 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

I guess MCT oil is ok for kids? My daughter is almost 12 and I make our smoothies together, so it would be in hers too. Does anyone know about this?

Post: #25 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-11-2009 10:15 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(06-11-2009 08:56 PM)black57 Wrote:  I can drink 2 cups of coffee ( one with CO and one with MCT oil ) and I can tell which is which, blindfolded, by the way I feel afterward.Shy

But you can't tell by taste at all? This is very interesting!
Post: #26 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-12-2009 12:58 AM

Expert Low-Carber

easy coconut chocolate protein balls

I was trying to think of new ways to use virgin coconut oil and came up with this idea a few month ago. I take one scoop chocolate MRM brand all natural (stevia sweetened) whey, 1 tb melted virgin coconut oil, 1 tsp inulin fiber(optional) and about 1 tsp water. Mix together and form a large chocolate ball.....so fast and tastes like gooey brownie batter! If you refrigerate the ball, it get's solid. I can never wait that long!!!!Tongue Kathy
Post: #27 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-12-2009 01:21 AM

Expert Low-Carber

(06-12-2009 12:58 AM)skcoe Wrote:  easy coconut chocolate protein balls

These sound delicious! My protein powder is unsweeted, but maybe I'll throw some liquid Splenda in there. Thanks for posting this!
Post: #28 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-12-2009 03:19 AM

Expert Low-Carber

(06-11-2009 10:15 PM)delmoki Wrote:  
(06-11-2009 08:56 PM)black57 Wrote:  I can drink 2 cups of coffee ( one with CO and one with MCT oil ) and I can tell which is which, blindfolded, by the way I feel afterward.Shy

But you can't tell by taste at all? This is very interesting!

I can tell by taste, of course, but some CO has no taste...or I may have problems with my sinuses where my power of scent may be useless. But if I went totally by the way I felt after injesting one or the other...I can tell the difference.
Post: #29 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-12-2009 03:22 AM
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2009 11:49 AM by black57.)

Expert Low-Carber

(06-11-2009 09:39 PM)lowcarbteacher Wrote:  I guess MCT oil is ok for kids? My daughter is almost 12 and I make our smoothies together, so it would be in hers too. Does anyone know about this?

I wish that I could re-live my years as a young mom. My kids would have a much different diet. MCT is also found in breast milk. I am sure that MCT would be just fine for an older kid.
Post: #30 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-12-2009 07:45 PM

Expert Low-Carber

This is great info to know. I use a lot of CO, but haven't tried separate MCO yet.
Post: #31 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-13-2009 12:47 AM

Unregistered

(06-11-2009 09:39 PM)lowcarbteacher Wrote:  I guess MCT oil is ok for kids? My daughter is almost 12 and I make our smoothies together, so it would be in hers too. Does anyone know about this?

LCT, you may want to try Googling "MCT Diet" or similar and it will quickly put your heart to rest. It is not widely used in the US, but apparently widely accepted in the UK and Europe for the treatment of epilepsy in children. Indeed most of the diets I found were for kids.

The lauric acid in the CO (which is not in most MCT preps I've seen and is ~50% of CO) is only found in abundance in one other source - breast milk! While researching CO & MCT's I found many references to adding MCT's to baby formulas. So I don't see why it wouldn't be good for your daughter!
Post: #32 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-13-2009 12:53 AM

Advanced Low-Carber

Thanks everyone! That really helps. Now I can have a building jumping buddy!!!!

Post: #33 RE: Coconut Oil vs. olive oil , 06-24-2009 10:37 PM

Newbie Low-Carber

Hi everyone,
I too am a new comer to this awesome site and have a serious question to throw out to anyone who has experienced this or knows what to do?
I started the low carb eating plan 2 weeks ago and dropped an amazing 3 pounds which is good for me since I have never really tried to drop weight.
I'm 51 years old and have eaten low fat, low carb food all my life. So here is the question.
I started using virgin coconut oil in my skillet with eggs in the morning then again in my protein shake for lunch. After two days of this, I was struck and I say struck because I have no idea what happened, but I felt like my body was weighted down and I could not lift my legs to climb stairs nor my arms to reach for something. It was like I was paralized. I had to assume it was the oil and stopped it immediately. Now after 3 days of stopping the coconut oil and returning to olive oil, I am fine. What gives? Was the oil bad or was my body not ready for this experience?
Any advise you can offer would be so much appreciated.
Thank you Smile
Post: #34 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-25-2009 12:53 AM

Advanced Low-Carber

I would say that you used too much, too soon. You have to start small with coconut or or MCT and let your body get used to it. I would try again, but slowly. Just use a teaspoon or so until you get used to it then go up.

Post: #35 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-25-2009 08:19 AM

Expert Low-Carber

>> I'm not sure exactly how the capric and caprylic acids are refined from CO to make MCT <<

It's through a 'fractionation' process. Fractionated coconut oil referred to as MCT. I believe they take coconut oil, then partially cool it and the part that stays liquid is strained off.....that's were the MCT's are concentrated in the liquid portion. MCT's were referred to as 'thin oil' back in the 90's. Kathy
Post: #36 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-25-2009 08:20 AM

Expert Low-Carber

>>capric and caprylic acids<<

BTW, another very good source of these two fatty acids is goat milk, eat your chevre!!!!!
Post: #37 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-25-2009 08:53 AM

Newbie Low-Carber

Thank you for the feedback. I think I will re-introduce myself to it but just in the mornings with a teaspoon in the skillet with my eggs and then not add it to my protein shake until a week or so or at least until I know my body can tolerate the morning dose.
From what I have been reading, this coconut oil seems to be the magic ingredient in the diet.
Thanks again.Rolleyes[/font]
Post: #38 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-25-2009 11:56 AM

Expert Low-Carber

(06-13-2009 12:47 AM)Low Carb Cheater Wrote:  

LCT, you may want to try Googling "MCT Diet" or similar and it will quickly put your heart to rest. It is not widely used in the US, but apparently widely accepted in the UK and Europe for the treatment of epilepsy in children. Indeed most of the diets I found were for kids.

The lauric acid in the CO (which is not in most MCT preps I've seen and is ~50% of CO) is only found in abundance in one other source - breast milk! While researching CO & MCT's I found many references to adding MCT's to baby formulas. So I don't see why it wouldn't be good for your daughter!

Oh yeah, I belong to a couple of epilepsy sites and I do believe that there is someone here with a child who is epeleptic. As we have discussed it increases ketones which is what doctors desire for these kids. I believe this would have helped my son to overcome ADHD in elementary school. If I could re-live my life as a younger mom...or even remain at my present age but allow my kids to re-live their lives...I would do it in a heart beat just to give them a healthier low carb/ketogenic life. Cool
Post: #39 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-25-2009 12:26 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2009 12:31 PM by lowcarbteacher.)

Advanced Low-Carber

I have been taking the MCT oil this week and have been losing 1/2 pound a day all week. I have been back on Atkins for alomst 7 months and my weight loss was starting to really crawl so this has really given me a boost. I know it will not continue the way it is, it always slows back down, but it is nice to have this little boost. It seems wierd that it can do so much, I cook with coconut oil and never have noticed a whole lot of difference with using it. I just FEEL better with the MCT oil too. I am going on vacation next week and have to make sure I take some with me!!!!
My daughter's weight loss has also improved. She just has 4 lbs to go to her goal! She has lost 36 and wants to lose 40. We just had pictures done of her and she looks totally different. People that have not seen her in a while do not recognize her.

Post: #40 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-25-2009 12:47 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2009 12:48 PM by Mackay.)

Expert Low-Carber

Just a reminder folks, "What's good for the goose is NOT necessarily good for the gander!"

Adding more fat to the diet can be a wonderful thing if you are deficient or your body does well on fatty foods, and there is a transition phase where your digestion gets reaquainted with fats. However, some people don't do well on a high fat diet. There is nothing wrong with you, you just don't digest them well.

If you feel great on a low fat/low carb diet. Stick with it.

The other thing that might be causing the "paralyzed" feeling is that the lauric acid in the coconut oil is killing off lots of bad bacteria in your gut and you are having a toxin build up. Your liver is too busy to clear all the dead bacteria left overs out of your blood stream.

God did indeed break the mold on each of us. We are each a unique creation. There are very few rules like "carbs are bad" that work for everybody! Smile

Mackay Rippey

Has your weight loss stalled because your body clock is out of sync?
Check out the Kung Fu Weight Loss Guide to Resetting Your Body Clock