Rating Thread Options
Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil

Advanced Low-Carber

I've been using coconut oil know that my skin and hair have benefited. Other benefits I'm not sure of. But the CO has so many calories and I have to be careful about how many calories I ingest in a day. Because of this it limits what I can eat and I'd like the option of a little more variety.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on using MCT oil instead of CO?
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-05-2009 10:37 AM

Expert Low-Carber

One way of looking at it is MCT oil is a subset of coconut oil. Coconut oils has a lot of other intrinsic factors that the pure MCT oil will not have including immune system benefits.

Mackay Rippey

Has your weight loss stalled because your body clock is out of sync?
Check out the Kung Fu Weight Loss Guide to Resetting Your Body Clock
Post: #3 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-05-2009 11:32 AM

Expert Low-Carber

Ignore the calories in either product. They are ideal health foods that contribute to the state of ketosis. I try to use both. I take MCT oil as a supplement and I cook with coconut oil. I drink coconut smoothies with a drizzle of MCT oil and I smooth coconut oil on my skin.MCT oil will give you a nice zap of energy.
Post: #4 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-05-2009 01:28 PM

Unregistered

(06-05-2009 10:02 AM)JediChick Wrote:  I've been using coconut oil know that my skin and hair have benefited. Other benefits I'm not sure of. But the CO has so many calories and I have to be careful about how many calories I ingest in a day. Because of this it limits what I can eat and I'd like the option of a little more variety.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on using MCT oil instead of CO?

Based on several sources and averaging, CO is made up of just under 50% lauric acid (12 carbon) and another 15% capric and caprylic acids (10 & 8 C's) for approximately 65% MCT content. The rest of the saturated fat content is about 20% mystiric, 8% palmitic and 3% stearic acids (12, 14 & 16C's respectively) for a total of about 94-95%. The remaining 5-6% is mostly two P/MUFA's -- oleic and linoleic acids in about a 4-5:1 ratio oleic/linoleic. BTW, oleic is the Omega-9 MUFA predominant in olive oil, linoleic is the Omega-6 PUFA.

You can drive yourself batty trying to figure out which is better for you! Maybe half of each for the total amount??
Post: #5 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-05-2009 02:38 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(06-05-2009 10:02 AM)JediChick Wrote:  But the CO has so many calories and I have to be careful about how many calories I ingest in a day.

I have to agree with Black57. Coconut oil is one of the best things you can put into your body, and even thought it is high in calories, you really won't see weight gain from it unless you eat processed carbs and grains along with it.
Post: #6 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-05-2009 02:39 PM

Welcome to the forum delmoki !!

One minute, one hour, one day, 1 pound at a time ...

Come visit with me in my journal @
PatTee's Garden

[Image: 100_06713-1.jpg] [Image: 100_1074-2-1.jpg]
BEFORE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DURING>>>>>>>>>

commitment = success

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day saying .... "I will try again tomorrow". ~ Mary Anne Radmacher
Post: #7 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-05-2009 02:55 PM

Administrator

MCT oil gives you more of the medium chain triglycerides you are looking for from coconut oil. Dr. Larry McCleary says MCT oil produces much more ketones in the body than coconut oil.

Jimmy Moore, "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Discussion" forum owner
KETO CLARITY: http://tinyurl.com/KetoClarity
CHOLESTEROL CLARITY: http://tinyurl.com/CholesterolClarity
OFFICIAL WEB SITE: http://www.livinlavidalowcarb.com
BLOG: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog
LLVLC PODCAST: http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/LLVLC
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/livinlowcarbman
LOW-CARB CONVERSATIONS: http://www.lowcarbconversations.com
VIDEOS: http://www.youtube.com/livinlowcarbman
E-MAIL ME: livinlowcarbman@charter.net
Post: #8 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-05-2009 04:16 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Thanks for the info Jimmy.

Mackay Rippey

Has your weight loss stalled because your body clock is out of sync?
Check out the Kung Fu Weight Loss Guide to Resetting Your Body Clock
Post: #9 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-05-2009 08:21 PM

Expert Low-Carber

It was Dr. McCleary's book that encouraged me to start taking MCT oil it the first place. If Dr. McLeary told me to eat rocks, I would.
Post: #10 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-10-2009 02:20 PM

Newbie Low-Carber

Newbie here...what is MCT oil??
Post: #11 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-10-2009 02:55 PM

Unregistered

(06-10-2009 02:20 PM)ajfit2be Wrote:  Newbie here...what is MCT oil??

MCT stands for medium chain triglycerides (you'll also hear them referred to as MCFA's where FA = fatty acid). "Medium" is technically defined as carbon backbones from 6 to 12 carbons in length.

I took a look at various MCT oils on the market, and these "refined" products contain the 8 & 10 C chain capric and caprylic acids.

Lest the word "triglyceride" scare you, Jimmy has surely posted/podcasted/blogged about the benefits of MCT oil -- search on MCT here in the forum and I'm sure you'll get a wealth of info. Also any web search on MCT will yield an abundance of info on the benefits of MCT & Coconut Oil.

Welcome!
Post: #12 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-10-2009 05:19 PM

Newbie Low-Carber

Thanks
Post: #13 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-10-2009 05:34 PM

Expert Low-Carber

I asked for MCT oil at my local health food store and they told me it was just coconut oil and there was no difference. They are usually pretty knowledgeable about things, so I didn't press the issue, but now I don't know where to buy MCT oil. Do any of you get it online and if so, would you recommend it? Know any good websites to recommend or not recommend? Thanks for your help!

By the way, my health food store is run by 7th Day Adventists (they're even closed on Saturday for church), and my understanding is that 7th Day Adventists are by definition vegetarians. They don't sell any meat in the store. So they are not a great source for low-carb information.
Post: #14 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-10-2009 08:51 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Coconut oil contains around 10% MCT oil. MCT oil which is mostly derived from coconut oil is 100% MCT oil.
Post: #15 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-11-2009 09:08 AM

Unregistered

(06-10-2009 05:34 PM)Heyitsdenise Wrote:  I asked for MCT oil at my local health food store and they told me it was just coconut oil and there was no difference. They are usually pretty knowledgeable about things, so I didn't press the issue, but now I don't know where to buy MCT oil. Do any of you get it online and if so, would you recommend it? Know any good websites to recommend or not recommend? Thanks for your help!

By the way, my health food store is run by 7th Day Adventists (they're even closed on Saturday for church), and my understanding is that 7th Day Adventists are by definition vegetarians. They don't sell any meat in the store. So they are not a great source for low-carb information.

I bought mine on eBay. I got no love at any of the myriad local nutrition, vitamin, etc. shops except for supplements. Since MCT's are ingredients in a lot of body building supplements, I was surprised that even GNC doesn't carry it Sad I've seen a lot of folks here mention netrition.com -- they have a wide variety of products so you can stock up on low carb stuff and the MCT oil and save on the shipping (always the kicker with the net)

Technically your healthfood store isn't wrong, they're just not entirely right -- coconut oil is about 65% MCT's, but only 15% is the MCT's found in products marketed as "MCT Oil". I'm not sure exactly how the capric and caprylic acids are refined from CO to make MCT -- perhaps this is why the MCT is not easily found in most healthfood and "natural" markets?
Post: #16 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-11-2009 11:32 AM

Expert Low-Carber

If one uses the MCT oil, is the coconut oil still used? Is it wise or safe to use both? I'm having a terrible time finding ways to get in the coconut oil every day. How is the MCT oil delivered (geltabs, liquid, or what)?
Post: #17 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-11-2009 11:36 AM

Expert Low-Carber

(06-11-2009 11:32 AM)Gohim2JC Wrote:  If one uses the MCT oil, is the coconut oil still used? Is it wise or safe to use both? I'm having a terrible time finding ways to get in the coconut oil every day. How is the MCT oil delivered (geltabs, liquid, or what)?

I use both. I put coconut oil and/or MCT oil in my coffee. I cook with coconut oil and I make oil and vinegar dressing with MCT oil. I don't think that you can overdose on the oils without having to hurl. In other words injsest what is comfortable for you up to about 3-5 tablespoons.
Post: #18 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-11-2009 01:16 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

What does MCT oil taste like? I've been making my own coconut "candy" with coconut oil. I mix the 3 tablespoons with a packet of spenda and some sugar free chocolate flavored powder I get online. I leave it in the refrigerator and eat it when it's very cold. If the MCT oil tastes okay, I'll replace the olive oil I use in salad dressing.
Post: #19 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-11-2009 02:27 PM

Newbie Low-Carber

(06-11-2009 11:32 AM)Gohim2JC Wrote:  If one uses the MCT oil, is the coconut oil still used? Is it wise or safe to use both? I'm having a terrible time finding ways to get in the coconut oil every day. How is the MCT oil delivered (geltabs, liquid, or what)?

I am pretty new to all of this however, I did find a pretty good way to get in coconut oil. Someone on youtube suggested adding it to warm milk. I instead put about a 2tsp of heavy cream in the bottom of an oversized coffee mug and add approx 6oz water. Heat in microwave 90sec and stir in a good tablespoon of coconut oil & a splash of sugar free flavored syrup.( I've tried vanilla, caramel & raspberry so far) I also found that if I use a lage enough mug, my immursion blender mixes it almost to the point of not separating and puts a nice froth on top.
Post: #20 RE: Coconut Oil vs. MCT oil , 06-11-2009 08:56 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(06-11-2009 01:16 PM)JediChick Wrote:  What does MCT oil taste like? I've been making my own coconut "candy" with coconut oil. I mix the 3 tablespoons with a packet of spenda and some sugar free chocolate flavored powder I get online. I leave it in the refrigerator and eat it when it's very cold. If the MCT oil tastes okay, I'll replace the olive oil I use in salad dressing.

MCT oil tastes like nothing. I sometimes put it in a glass of water. What I like most about it is that it doesn't solidify. It stays in liquid form so it is good for dressings and I will drizzle MCT oil into my smoothies.

I can drink 2 cups of coffee ( one with CO and one with MCT oil ) and I can tell which is which, blindfolded, by the way I feel afterward.Shy