Rating Thread Options
The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour
Post: #1 The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 05-29-2009 10:09 AM

Advanced Low-Carber

I was reading lately some recipe posts and someone mentioned coconut flour. I was intrigued. It sounded like it could be substituted for Almond flour but was a little more carby. Also it was ALOT less expensive, about half of what I pay in Whole Foods for Almond flour. I know you can grind your own Almond flour in a food processor but mine never comes out as fine as the blanched almond flour. How fine is the coconut flour? Is it similiar to almond flour? Are there issues with one flour vs. the other? I'd really love some feed back before I go out and buy some. Thanks in advance!Smile
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 05-29-2009 11:41 AM

Newbie Low-Carber

I tried coconut flour and did not like it. Everything I made with it was very dry. Tried adding more butter/oil, but did not find that it worked. I know almond meal is expensive. Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? Their brand is much cheaper. Anywhere from $3-5/lb.
Post: #3 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 05-29-2009 12:20 PM

I don't consider coconut flour to be a substitute for almond flour. Coconut flour is very dry and soaks up any liquid that it comes in contact with. Almond flour is quite oily and doesn't absorb anything. I think it's best to stick with recipes that were created for each particular ingredient. If you swap out coconut flour for almond flour you basically have to change the recipe completely by adding a lot more eggs and/or fat. Might as well start with a recipe already adapted to work with coconut flour.

The almond flour at Trader Joe's is cheaper than Bob's Red Mill but that's because it's unblanched (the skins were left on when they ground it). Personally I don't like unblanched almond flour because the skins make it taste bitter which greatly affects the outcome of baked goods. I tried one bag of NOW brand unblanched once and threw it out after it ruined a couple of recipes.

My sites:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
In the Kitchen with Linda Blog
Post: #4 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 05-29-2009 12:39 PM

Newbie Low-Carber

I agree that you should not substitute. I actually tried recipes that called for coconut flour and found them to be too dry. I have not tried Bob's Red Mill, only Trader Joe's and have not found it to be bitter. I will have to try Bob's to check out the difference. Thanks!
Post: #5 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 05-29-2009 01:04 PM

(05-29-2009 12:39 PM)mwb0307 Wrote:  I agree that you should not substitute. I actually tried recipes that called for coconut flour and found them to be too dry. I have not tried Bob's Red Mill, only Trader Joe's and have not found it to be bitter. I will have to try Bob's to check out the difference. Thanks!

If we had Trader Joe's here in Houston I'd give theirs a try once. While I was in Michigan a few years ago I saw the almond flour at Trader Joe's but passed it up because it wasn't blanched. I guess I should have bought one bag to try.

My sites:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
In the Kitchen with Linda Blog
Post: #6 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 05-29-2009 04:25 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

That's quite a significant savings by going to Trader Joe's! I pay about 11-14 dollars for a bag of Bob's Red Mill. I guess I'll be making a trip to my TJ's this weekend. It's also good to know that the 2 flours are not interchangeable. Thanks Guys!
Post: #7 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 05-31-2009 01:14 AM
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2009 01:16 AM by lowcarbteacher.)

Advanced Low-Carber

Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour is just $8.95 on Netrition and with just $4.95 flat shipping if you order quite a bit of things then you can really save alot by using them. I buy quite a bit usually about once a month from them.

[Image: 56026.png]
Post: #8 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 05-31-2009 01:34 AM

Advanced Low-Carber

Thanks LCTeacher! Your info on Sami's bakery was awesome! i loved the pizza crust. The postage was a bit pricey so I'm going to look for local for bread. But it was awesome. I'll check Netrition.
Post: #9 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 05-31-2009 04:09 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2009 04:13 PM by black57.)

Expert Low-Carber

(05-29-2009 12:39 PM)mwb0307 Wrote:  I agree that you should not substitute. I actually tried recipes that called for coconut flour and found them to be too dry. I have not tried Bob's Red Mill, only Trader Joe's and have not found it to be bitter. I will have to try Bob's to check out the difference. Thanks!

I just tried a recipe of Laura Dolson's for raspberry coconut muffins. They were delicious and moist. She advizes that you make sure that you add enough water so that they do not come out dry.

I used Bob's Red Mill brand and it was quite good. I love the smell of the flour.I have heard a lot of negative stuff about coconut flour being dry and it took a long time before I had the nerve to try it. Now I am afraid to buy any brand that is not Bob's Red Mill. I also use almond flour and comparing the 2 is like comparing apples to oranges. I am so glad that these flours exist so that we can enjoy baked goods without getting baked Rolleyes if you know what I mean. I am wondering if that muffin recipe could be used to make pancakes? Shy

I did try Laura Dolson's recipe for almond meal pancakes. They were okay although I probably did something wrong. They were not my favorite but noticed that they tasted like corn bread. So now I am considering making "corn bread" with the almond meal. I was also thinking that this recipe might be a great way to make hot dogs on a stick!!! Cool
Post: #10 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 05-31-2009 09:29 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

Mary if those "Corn dogs" work out would you let me know, they are Meg's favorite food. I'm going to try the coconut flour as I like variety. I'm interested in this flour's properties. And I don't know anything that sounds more decadent than coconut and raspberry! Yum!
Post: #11 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 05-31-2009 10:05 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2009 10:09 PM by black57.)

Expert Low-Carber

Yeah, Silly, when I try that corn dog thingie I will let you know. I will try it this week. Also I am going to post the link to the muffin recipe.

Here it is and please feel free to surf through Laura's web site:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/...s.htm?nl=1
Post: #12 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 06-02-2009 02:53 AM

Senior Low-Carber

Kat James highly recommends coconut flour, and I just finished off my first Bob's Red Mill bag of it. I used it in place of half of the flax meal in my pancake and muffin mix. I think it's pretty good, but I haven't tried it in much else.
Post: #13 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 06-02-2009 09:29 AM

Advanced Low-Carber

Kali- does it have some health benefits that some of the other flours don't?
Post: #14 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 06-02-2009 02:45 PM

Senior Low-Carber

From "The Truth About Beauty" by Kat James:

"amazing low-glycemic flour I now do all my baking with ... Your brownies and piecrusts can be made with 100 percent coconut flour. Coconut flour and coconut fiber have a high fiber content and have far lower glycemic levels than whole grain flours, and they are much better tasting and lighter than soy or nut flours."
Post: #15 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 06-02-2009 03:47 PM

Expert Low-Carber

I got a book of recipes for using coconut flour on Amazon.com. "Cooking with Coconut Flour", but Bruce Fife, N.D. has lots of recipes, all gluten-free. Many use sugar but for them he includes a "Reduced Sugar" version, mainly using stevia. He also has several savory recipes (cheese crackers, for example). I'm interested in his pie crust recipe, and will let you know how it turns out. I have not tried any of the recipes yet, just got the book.
Post: #16 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 06-02-2009 09:04 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(06-02-2009 02:45 PM)kali Wrote:  From "The Truth About Beauty" by Kat James:

"amazing low-glycemic flour I now do all my baking with ... Your brownies and piecrusts can be made with 100 percent coconut flour. Coconut flour and coconut fiber have a high fiber content and have far lower glycemic levels than whole grain flours, and they are much better tasting and lighter than soy or nut flours."

Kali, do you make the crust like the standard flour pie crust?
Post: #17 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 06-02-2009 10:59 PM

Senior Low-Carber

I don't know -- I haven't tried making pie crust with it. I'm curious, myself. The texture is a little gritty, so I suspect it would be more of a crumb-type crust than a rolled-out crust, but I don't really know.

Denise, what type of pie crust is in that cookbook? Sounds like a good book, thanks for sharing. Let us know if you try any of the recipes.
Post: #18 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 06-04-2009 11:06 PM

Expert Low-Carber

He has several different recipes, but this one looks good to me (I haven't tried it yet).

Coconut Almond Piecrust

His description: This is a delicious all-purpose piecrust. It even tastes better than traditional wheat flour crusts. It browns nicely and cooks evenly. It can be used to make any type of pie, either sweet or savory. It works for either single-crust or double-crust pies. The dough, however needs to be handled carefully to avoid breakage, but it is easy to repair.

Single-Crust

1/2 cup sifted coconut flour
1/2 cup almond flour
2 eggs
1/2 tablespoon honey (optional)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon salt

Double-Crust

3/4 cup sifted coconut flour
3/4 cup almond flour
3 eggs
1 tablespoon honey (optional)
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon salt

Fill and bake as you would a regular wheat flour piecrust.
Post: #19 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 06-04-2009 11:33 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

Wow! that recipe looks great! I hope it works! how nice would it be to have a chicken pot pie!
Post: #20 RE: The Merits of Almond vs. Coconut flour , 06-05-2009 03:44 AM

Expert Low-Carber

Wow, isn't this great. I need to get this pie started. I purchased some rhubarb a couple of days ago and I want to make a pie out of it. Wish me luck. Silly, I hope to make the "corn" dogs very soon.