Rating Thread Options
Nuts & Cheese

Unregistered

Hi all! I've noticed many people here mention nuts and cheese as foods that get them into trouble and either slow or stall weight loss. I'm wondering if this is more because of the foods themselves or because of "carb creep" because it is so easy to overeat these.

Whatcha think?
Quote this message in a reply

Expert Low-Carber

For me, as long as I use nuts and cheese as condiments, not real food, it's ok. When I have a snack of just nuts or just cheese or just nuts and cheese, it's not satisfying until I eat too many, and it doesn't curb my hunger for long--I'm hungry again in about an hour. They just don't seem to be a heavy enough protein for me, although they have plenty of fat. I'm pretty sure it's a YMMV thing.

I allow cheese..especially the very low carb varieties....if I eat nuts...I end up eating too many....and thus "carb creep" is a factor.

When in doubt....add butter!

Expert Low-Carber

I think it's mainly the carb creep. It's easy to keep shoveling nuts & cheese into your mouth.

Sugar is the enemy; fat is my friend. The only bad fats are artificial fats.
Low Fat & Fat Free -- tastes bad, bad for you.

Advanced Low-Carber

I agree with Denise. Eating nuts and cheese as a snack or condiment is fine. I eat both daily and it hasn't affected my loss one bit. But my consumption is limited to a few ounces of cheese throughout the day.

I can see overeating nuts being an easy task if I were digging into a can of them... so to avoid this I crack them from the shells myself and have say 4 or 5 walnuts before I hit the gym or a small portion of sunflower seeds at night if I'm still hungry.

Greg ~ Primaltarian ~ Low carb is so easy, a caveman could do it.

145lbs. lost - Goal Reached!

Stronglifts 5X5 Strength Training 3 days per week.

Low intensity cardio & sprints 2 days per week.

[Image: weight.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2009 04:33 PM by wen.)

Expert Low-Carber

I don't have a problem with them as long as I am honest with myself and count the carbs.

Wen
Not all carbs are created equal.

[Image: exercise.png]

Expert Low-Carber

I eat both nuts and cheese and it doesn't stall me. However, I lose at a rate of 1 lb per week. Maybe, the cheese and nuts have kept me at the slower rate but, I think it's my insulin resistance.

~Danielle

"Never eat more than you can lift."
--Miss Piggy

Advanced Low-Carber

I agree with Heyitsdenise - I can only use them as a condiment. They are just way too easy to overeat. I mean, I have NEVER just wandered in the kitchen in the middle of the afternoon and grabbed a handful of steak... Tongue

Advanced Low-Carber

(05-15-2009 06:11 PM)DCellen Wrote:  I have NEVER just wandered in the kitchen in the middle of the afternoon and grabbed a handful of steak... Tongue

I have Big Grin

Greg ~ Primaltarian ~ Low carb is so easy, a caveman could do it.

145lbs. lost - Goal Reached!

Stronglifts 5X5 Strength Training 3 days per week.

Low intensity cardio & sprints 2 days per week.

(05-15-2009 08:59 AM)Low Carb Cheater Wrote:  Hi all! I've noticed many people here mention nuts and cheese as foods that get them into trouble and either slow or stall weight loss. I'm wondering if this is more because of the foods themselves or because of "carb creep" because it is so easy to overeat these.

Whatcha think?

For me, I'm absolutely certain it's the high calories.

Dr. Eades explained why these foods cause stalls in Protein Power. He said eating too much high fat foods result in too many calories which prevent you from creating the necessary calorie deficit to lose weight.

Two of the three items he said were mostly like to wreck your calorie deficit are nuts and cheese. (The third was peanut butter

Advanced Low-Carber

I go bonkers on certain nuts. Cashews and macadamia nuts I can't control myself around. But I DO LOVE THEM! So very few nuts for me. If I don't measure them i can't have them. Cheese is ok, but I never really crave cheese, it's just ok.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2009 09:32 PM by wolfstriked.)

Senior Low-Carber

Im nuts about nuts!!

I purchased a pound of raw cashews recentley.Thats a big bag of cashews.....and yes I almost ate it all in one sitting.Even worse is almond or cashew butters where I mix in splenda.Ive polished off a whole jar in past by doing that.And the PLAN was to take 2 tbsps per day in my protein drink. Big Grin

Advanced Low-Carber

I do okay with cheese but if I buy the smoked almonds I can eat the whole can in one sitting!Sad

Senior Low-Carber

If I have a bag of nuts in the house Im eating them until gone. Sure they are stalling and/or hindering my weight loss.
Karen

Advanced Low-Carber

(05-15-2009 04:32 PM)wen Wrote:  I don't have a problem with them as long as I am honest with myself and count the carbs.

Me too... I make sure to carefully control my portions and seem OK so far...

[Image: 201936.png]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

The other day I purchased some MACADAMIA NUTS. Needless to say, I ate the WHOLE THANG! The good thing was the whole container was only 7 net carbs, and I did not gain the next day. Thank goodness!! Yes, it was a splurge.... but much better than my past HIGH CARB SPLURGES!Big Grin

Kathy in Texas
LCing is no longer a temporary fix, it's my way of life! Wink

Unregistered

So it seems that nuts are the LC Lays potato chip!!

My trick for eating nuts is to buy the 2/$1 1-2 oz packs. Had peanuts (4 net carbs) like this yesterday. But I can't always find almonds this way which are my favorite LC nut and I buy in bulk. My trick for eating those is to grab a handful when I'm planning to go somewhere, then out the door with me!

I stay away from cashews unless they are in small packs. I might just go back in the house for more Tongue

Senior Low-Carber

This is my experience too, I was carrying around one of those buckets of mixed nuts from Sam's Club. I have no idea how many I ate during my 45 minute commute. No more.

I'm not so bad with cheese. I've been buying the higher-end cheeses and going easy, rather than the extra-large bag of processed cheese food.

Peanut butter? I had to completely stop it. It's not a nut you know - it's a bean.

Lately my vice is Redi-Whip. Way too easy to overeat that stuff. And there's something about that sound.

Senior Low-Carber

kotcherd I love your this time its for good - - so far, so good! great!!
a plauteau has to go sooner or later
Karen

Expert Low-Carber

Kotcherd, do you get the Redi-whip that is real whipped cream? Does it have sugar in it? Today I saw Land-o-Lakes sugar-free whipped cream in a can. Has anybody tried it?