Rating Thread Options
Julie's Stillman QWL Journal
Post: #1 Big Grin Julie's Stillman QWL Journal , 04-20-2009 03:17 PM

Newbie Low-Carber

Hi guys! I have been lurking around this place for a few weeks and decided to join. Big Grin

From what I've read here, no one seems to be very fond of The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss Diet (Stillman's) from the 70's. For those of you that aren't familiar, it is strictly no fat/no carbs and you can basically only have lean meat, lean fish, eggs, and cottage cheese. The book is out of print so I bought it used and just finished reading it yesterday. I've been thinking about trying his plan for a couple of months after stumbling across it on the internet, and finally decided to start today.

For the record, I am not looking for anyone to tell me that Stillman's is right or wrong. I'm dead set on trying this, even though I am aware that most low carb people also believe that you need to eat some fat. I'm tired of messing around and I want to do something extremely restrictive and challenging--not just to prove to myself that I'm capable, but also because I'm curious whether or not Stillman's actually does work.

Most of my curiosity stems from the fact that I've yet to see someone truly attempt Stillman's QWL without cheating for even a few days! Everyone always sneaks in their own little ideas of what is OK, even though he strictly says that if it's not on the list he provides, you absolutely CANNOT eat even one bite. There are small groups of people on other forums claiming to be doing Stillman's QWL, and yet when they post their menus, it's not even close! Several of them eat cheese, bacon, etc on a daily basis--so frustrating for someone like me who is just wondering if it really works when done correctly. I know it worked wonderfully for Dr. Stillman's patients back in the day, as he reports in his book, but modern day examples are nearly impossible to find in my experience.

So this is my own little experiment to find out for sure if it actually does work when followed perfectly--great motivation! And so I'll love it if you guys check in on me every once in a while. I'll be reporting daily. I know there have to be more low-carbers out there who wonder if Stillman's QWL works or not, whether it is sustainable over the long term, and if it's possible to maintain all of the weight loss afterwards.

Oh, and if anyone knows of someone who is doing/has done this correctly, please fill me in! I would love to hear about it. Smile

22 years old - 5'5" - 180/174.6/125
I'm in shape! Round is a shape... Isn't it?
Wink
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: Julie's Stillman QWL Journal , 04-20-2009 08:47 PM

Hi Julie! Welcome to the LLVLC forum! Since you're bound and determined to try the Stillman diet I won't try to dissuade you. Just remember that you need some fats to remain healthy. Hope you have a great LC day!

Grace and peace,

moonius

[Image: faq645.jpg]

Perseverance + patience = progress

http://moonius.blogspot.com/
Post: #3 RE: Julie's Stillman QWL Journal , 04-21-2009 09:18 PM

Welcome, JulieMoolie!! Big Grin

I'm a native Texan.... living in the TX Hill Country in Kerrville. Born and raised in Houston!

I did Stillman's diet about 10 yrs ago. Honestly, I lost 30 lbs in 30 days... the first month. I was bound and determined and followed exactly as it was outlined with no cheating. I felt and looked great, but the only negative drawbacks were the next month and after.... my weight loss slowed down and I did not lose hardly at all. I also noticed big hair loss, but I'm not sure if that was from the LOWFAT or just losing so quickly. I personally feel that it's important to include fat in your diet. It's essential for healthy skin, hair, and nails. Unfortunately, I returned back to my old way of eating back then, and gained back all I lost.

Recently, I've considered trying Stillman's diet again.... but just for a month to see if I can get a kick start. I have my 30 yr Reunion on July 25th and would like to see some "quick" results.

Check your private messages.... I'm sending you one now.
Wink

Kathy in Texas
LCing is no longer a temporary fix, it's my way of life! Wink

[Image: weight.png]
Post: #4 RE: Julie's Stillman QWL Journal , 04-22-2009 12:37 PM

Morning JulieMoolie and welcome -just a fly by visit to wish you a great day !! Smile's

One minute, one hour, one day, 1 pound at a time ...

Come visit with me in my journal @
PatTee's Garden

[Image: 100_06713-1.jpg] [Image: 100_1074-2-1.jpg]
BEFORE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DURING>>>>>>>>>

commitment = success

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day saying .... "I will try again tomorrow". ~ Mary Anne Radmacher
Post: #5 RE: Julie's Stillman QWL Journal , 04-24-2009 12:00 PM
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2009 12:00 PM by JulieMoolie.)

Newbie Low-Carber

Thank you for the welcome! I haven't been updating every day, oops. Tongue

I'm sticking to this WOE perfectly, though. I have lost 5.4 pounds since Monday. Today is the first day I have really started feeling amazing--tons of energy! I could hardly sleep last night because I just wasn't tired. It's nice because I usually refer to myself as a slug. Big Grin

22 years old - 5'5" - 180/174.6/125
I'm in shape! Round is a shape... Isn't it?
Wink
Post: #6 RE: Julie's Stillman QWL Journal , 04-24-2009 09:58 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Hi Julie! I enjoyed your intro. I, too, remember the Stillman diet. But I gave away the book a long time ago. It would be nice to still have it just for the info even if I don't want to follow his diet.

Congrats on your loss and getting over the early LC feelings. It takes some people as long as a month. You're doing great!

Jane