Rating Thread Options
Fluid Retention on Low Carb
Post: #1 Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-14-2009 02:19 PM

Junior Low-Carber

I could really use some help understanding what I am doing wrong. First 2 weeks of Atkins was beautiful. I love eating this way! I lost 15 pounds and my energy level soared. Blood sugar came down, blood pressure came down, heart rate came down. It was all good.

Then I start week 3, still eating below 20 grams of carb (not net carbs, I am not counting that way), 1 cup of broccoli is 8 grams of carb (not subtracting out fiber, also not subtracting out sugar alcohols either). Anyway, back to the story, starting retaining fluid everywhere, especially in the feet and legs and abdominal area. Gained 25 pounds in 2 days. Before low-carb I drank about 1 gallon of water, I kept it at that level when starting low carb figuring that was enough.

My doctor gave me a diueretic because my blood pressure was now sky high, helped for the first day, then not so much after that. It has been 8 weeks now and I have no trouble with 20 grams of carb a day. I feel so much better, I haven't had this kind of energy in over 20 years. My weight loss at this point is zero. Blood pressure is back up, blood sugar is back up and heart rate is back up.

Did you experience anything like this? Does anyone have any suggestions? More water, Less water? I don't want to give up low carb, I want it to work.
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-14-2009 02:39 PM
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2009 02:41 PM by Rev.HaggisMacJedi.)

Expert Low-Carber

I don't want to sound like the harbinger of doom, but 25 pounds in 2 days probably means there is something medically wrong, and not necessarily something wrong with your diet. Continue to see your doctor and follow his advice, as you have complications with blood pressure. Under normal, healthy circumstances a low carb lifestyle will decrease fluid retention.

Just a couple of pieces of advice though:

1) You CAN overdo the water. A gallon a day is not overdoing it, but it can be done. If you do manage to overdo the fluids, you can retain water. I don't think this is what the problem is though.

2) Check for hidden sodium in the things you are consuming. Excessive salts, preservatives, seasonings, etc can really make you bloat.

3) Fiber does not count in the low carb lifestyle when it comes to your daily carb count. Your body passes fiber, and does not convert it to sugar and therefore it is unnecessary to count the fiber toward your overall daily carb count. Each to his own, and if it makes you feel better, then count it, but really, fiber does not affect one's blood sugar. That is why it is listed separately in the carb counts on labels.

But yet again, that much retention in that short a time means something is wrong.

The next time someone questions your Low-Carb way of life, and tries to give you "words of wisdom" against it, quote them these words from Michael Scott of NBC's "The Office": "I will swallow what you just said, digest it, and see what comes out the other end."

Check out my weight loss blog by clicking here!
Post: #3 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-14-2009 02:44 PM

Expert Low-Carber

I would also have the dr check your potassium and magnesium levels. If your electrolytes are off, your body may be retaining water to try and hold on to potassium. Also are you taking any other medications?

Ellen
http://www.healthy-eating-politics.com
http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com
Post: #4 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-14-2009 03:11 PM

Junior Low-Carber

Thank you for your reply. I had considered that but my doctor did not think this was an issue and declined to check. Do you know of a good source of electorlytes, like Gatoraide, except with no carb?
Post: #5 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-14-2009 03:25 PM

Junior Low-Carber

(03-14-2009 02:39 PM)Rev.HaggisMacJedi Wrote:  I don't want to sound like the harbinger of doom, but 25 pounds in 2 days probably means there is something medically wrong, and not necessarily something wrong with your diet. Continue to see your doctor and follow his advice, as you have complications with blood pressure. Under normal, healthy circumstances a low carb lifestyle will decrease fluid retention.

Just a couple of pieces of advice though:

1) You CAN overdo the water. A gallon a day is not overdoing it, but it can be done. If you do manage to overdo the fluids, you can retain water. I don't think this is what the problem is though.

2) Check for hidden sodium in the things you are consuming. Excessive salts, preservatives, seasonings, etc can really make you bloat.

3) Fiber does not count in the low carb lifestyle when it comes to your daily carb count. Your body passes fiber, and does not convert it to sugar and therefore it is unnecessary to count the fiber toward your overall daily carb count. Each to his own, and if it makes you feel better, then count it, but really, fiber does not affect one's blood sugar. That is why it is listed separately in the carb counts on labels.

But yet again, that much retention in that short a time means something is wrong.

Thanks so much for your reply. One of the benefits of a low carb diet for me was the dramatic reduction of sodium in my diet. I probably went from 10,000mg to about 1,500mg or less. I am so satisfied and feel so good eating this way that I find it so easy to eat food very close to the way it grew. Not doing much in the way of seasoning. Mayo and mustard are my favorite seasoning.

Since my doctor has declined to be concerned about anything but the high blood pressure when I asked her about them, I am seeking out effective ways to reduce fluid retention. Thanks for the tip on the carbs and net-carbs, I do understand the concept.
Post: #6 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-14-2009 03:48 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Hi,

I just want to encourage you to get a second opinion with a different doctor. If your potassium is low, you need to know. In some cases, self diagnosis and treatment can be dangerous. And the symptoms you are describing demand attention.

You deserve good medical care -- and you are not getting it.

It's great to hear how well you are doing with the LC WOE! Keep up the good work -- but please insist on adequate medical care. It's worth it even if you have to pay for your own blood test.

Take care!!

Katie Jay

Blog: http://www.fatfreemind.com
Post: #7 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-14-2009 03:50 PM

Expert Low-Carber

One more thing. I bought Morton's Salt Substitute for Salt-Free Diets in the spice aisle. It is potassium chloride and I use it daily on something I'm eating :o)

Katie Jay

Blog: http://www.fatfreemind.com
Post: #8 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-14-2009 04:25 PM

Expert Low-Carber

For what it's worth, I just found Powerade Zero, with no calories or carbs. I would bet that would be a good source of electrolytes.
[Image: Powerade_Zero_20_oz1.jpg]
I've also heard people mention drinking some beef broth once a day to balance out your electrolytes.

The next time someone questions your Low-Carb way of life, and tries to give you "words of wisdom" against it, quote them these words from Michael Scott of NBC's "The Office": "I will swallow what you just said, digest it, and see what comes out the other end."

Post: #9 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-14-2009 04:42 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Thanks for the Powerade Zero info. I did not know this was made. My DH will be pleased!

"People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning."
Lao-Tzu

[Image: 2322504w2v5dp6jxf.png]

375/200/175

Join me on Facebook: Low Carb Ladybug
Post: #10 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-14-2009 05:01 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Well I just found it and tried the Strawberry, and the flavor was a little weird for me. I am disappointed that they don't have the two mainstay flavors of replenishment drinks: Lemon-Lime and Orange.

Post: #11 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-14-2009 05:25 PM

Administrator

Something is DEFINITELY going on here that is likely unrelated to your diet, kdoemer! I'm happy you are here at my forum and hope you can get this figured out. Your BP and blood sugar should NOT be out of whack if you are following a reputable low-carb plan. What are you eating as a sample menu?

Jimmy Moore, "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Discussion" forum owner
CHOLESTEROL CLARITY BOOK: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1936608...vidalow-20
2009 BOOK: http://tinyurl.com/yh6smyy
OFFICIAL WEB SITE: http://www.livinlavidalowcarb.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/LLVLC
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/livinlowcarbman
BLOG: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog
LLVLC PODCAST: http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes
ATLCX PODCAST: http://ww.askthelowcarbexperts.com
LOW-CARB CONVERSATIONS PODCAST: http://www.lowcarbconversations.com
VIDEOS: http://www.youtube.com/livinlowcarbman
E-MAIL ME: livinlowcarbman@charter.net
Post: #12 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-14-2009 11:52 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Not to scare you, but you need to get a second opinion from another doctor. Twenty five pounds in two days is NOT natural.

[Image: weight.png]
Post: #13 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-15-2009 01:20 PM

(03-14-2009 02:19 PM)kdoemer Wrote:  My doctor gave me a diueretic because my blood pressure was now sky high, helped for the first day, then not so much after that. It has been 8 weeks now and I have no trouble with 20 grams of carb a day. I feel so much better, I haven't had this kind of energy in over 20 years. My weight loss at this point is zero. Blood pressure is back up, blood sugar is back up and heart rate is back up.

Did you experience anything like this? Does anyone have any suggestions? More water, Less water? I don't want to give up low carb, I want it to work.

Hi kdoemer , any time - any of my Dr's prescribed a diuretic , potassium was always prescribed . I agree with so many here - get another opinion from another DR. . There is more going on there . Keep us posted will ya ? Patti

One minute, one hour, one day, 1 pound at a time ...

Come visit with me in my journal @
PatTee's Garden

[Image: 100_06713-1.jpg] [Image: 100_1074-2-1.jpg]
BEFORE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DURING>>>>>>>>>

commitment = success

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day saying .... "I will try again tomorrow". ~ Mary Anne Radmacher
Post: #14 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-28-2009 05:33 PM

Newbie Low-Carber

Hey, kdoemer:

I had the same problem and found the answer. You need to add oatmeal for breakfast in the morning. The water will FLY off, beginning the very next day. Some people have cellular problems with carbs too low. Adding some niacinamide, 500mg. a day, along with the oatmeal will re-start your progess. You'll see.!
Post: #15 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-28-2009 05:50 PM

(03-14-2009 04:25 PM)Rev.HaggisMacJedi Wrote:  For what it's worth, I just found Powerade Zero, with no calories or carbs. I would bet that would be a good source of electrolytes.
I've also heard people mention drinking some beef broth once a day to balance out your electrolytes.

Rev, Does this taste good?
Post: #16 Not to be a buttinsky ... , 03-28-2009 06:35 PM

Unregistered

... and really not trying to be an alarmist, but 25 lbs in two days is a LOT of fluid retention that any doctor should not take lightly. I join the chorus here in urging you to get a second opinion. Aside from a BP measurement and diuretic, has your doctor done any sort of other tests? LC is a great diet but it is not for everyone -- most specifically those with kidney issues. Fluid imbalances of this sort are related to the kidneys and you only get one set! If they are in any way compromised, LC can exacerbate the problems and even lead to permanent damage. So please don't fool around with this!!

I personally use a "natural" diuretic called Herburetic by KAL (I get it at Whole Foods). I've used this since my pre-weight loss days when my ankles and feet would swell to almost twice their size by the end of an even minorly active day. Since I've lost so much weight, my ankles don't swell any more even if I've spent all day on my feet. I'm not sure I really need to take this, but for me it helps contain bloating when I go on one of my "cheats". Water retention with LC is "backwards" so please look into this!!
Post: #17 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-28-2009 11:56 PM

Junior Low-Carber

(03-14-2009 04:25 PM)Rev.HaggisMacJedi Wrote:  For what it's worth, I just found Powerade Zero, with no calories or carbs. I would bet that would be a good source of electrolytes.

Thanks for the tip!
Post: #18 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-29-2009 03:00 PM

Junior Low-Carber

Wow! What a great group of people there are on this board. I don't even know you and I feel so much support and care from all of you.

So, good news in the last few days. I am finally losing weight! Fluid retention seems to be under control! I still plan to see my doctor but I feel much stronger in my ability to talk to her and offer up my opinions and push back if what she is saying seems contrary to what I am learning.

As you know I did induction level carbs for 11 weeks, then I did very low carbs for 1 week, to no avail. Then Jimmy Moore gave me some information on the Fat Fast. I really doubted that I could do it but I was desperate so I started on Friday. This is day 3 and my scale is showing some movement! As of this morning 7 pounds!

So this will be my last day at this first level and for the next week I will add back 200 calories at 90% from fat for a week. Then I will move onto induction. In addition to finally shifting my metabolism to fat burning (I hope) I have also learned that I can live on a lot less food than I ever thought possible.

Thanks everybody.
Post: #19 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-30-2009 03:50 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Sounds like there was some type of adjustment with potassium/sodium levels and/or kidney function.

Just to reiterate, 25 pounds of weight gain in two days is reason to go to urgent care!

Mackay Rippey

Has your weight loss stalled because your body clock is out of sync?
Check out the Kung Fu Weight Loss Guide to Resetting Your Body Clock
Post: #20 RE: Fluid Retention on Low Carb , 03-30-2009 03:57 PM

Junior Low-Carber

Mackay, I am inclined to agree. I took a lot of sodium out of my diet during induction. I have since read that this can cause fluid retention. I hope I don't have a next time but thanks to the responses of you and others I will in the future!