Rating Thread Options
Fried Radishes
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2009 06:02 PM by DEEDLYNN.)

Expert Low-Carber

Okay....I'm not a huge fan of radishes, but keep them around to slice one in my salad...more for looks than anything....LOL.

But, somewhere else I read about frying radishes and they fry up like potatoes. I tried it last night.

Sliced a bunch of radishes thinly on my mandolin slicer.
Fried in olive oil, with just a little bit of diced onion, salt and pepper.

They don't really crisp up, I guess because they don't have enough starch/sugar for that, but they do soften up.

First taste, they were okay....I would have made them again. Good enough substitute for fried potatoes as a side dish, but DBF didn't really care for them. I wanted him to like them too....so......

I sprinkled a bit of garlic salt and then a sprinkle of cheddar cheese on them to melt.

OMGoodness. These were WONDERFUL. DBF liked them too. (I wish I had went the extra step of a little green onion, bacon bits and sour cream to make them ***loaded***)

I highly recommend trying them. Fancy 'em up anyway you like, but now radishes will be a staple in the house.

P.S. According to calorie king 1 cup of radishes has 19 calories and 2.0 net carbs.

6 days CHEAT FREE!!!!! Big Grin
6 Days out of the handcuffs that bound me to the vending machine at work

The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you're willing to work.

WORKING TO SET MY AUTO-PILOT, Rebooting my unhealthy conditioned thoughts to a healthy natural state.

[Image: weight.png]
Quote this message in a reply
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2009 10:22 PM by LindaSue.)

Expert Low-Carber

Ok, Dee, I am going to take your word that they will be as good as you say! Smile I like radishes but I don't buy them very often because I am the only one that eats them.

My Journal: Rockin' Robin's Random Thoughts

My Facebook Page

Fall down seven times, get up eight.
Japanese Proverb

It's the friends we meet along life's road who help us appreciate the journey . . . . . .
Smile

Expert Low-Carber

LOL Robin....I really liked them. Like I said...first taste...they were okay and I would have made them again...but after doctored....they were fantastic.

The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you're willing to work.

WORKING TO SET MY AUTO-PILOT, Rebooting my unhealthy conditioned thoughts to a healthy natural state.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2009 06:36 PM by Jimmy Moore.)

Administrator

Okay, that sounds wicked. I HATE radishes with a passion, Dee, but you got me wanting to try this.

Jimmy Moore, "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Discussion" forum owner
KETO CLARITY: http://tinyurl.com/KetoClarity
CHOLESTEROL CLARITY: http://tinyurl.com/CholesterolClarity
OFFICIAL WEB SITE: http://www.livinlavidalowcarb.com
BLOG: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog
LLVLC PODCAST: http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/LLVLC
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/livinlowcarbman
LOW-CARB CONVERSATIONS: http://www.lowcarbconversations.com
VIDEOS: http://www.youtube.com/livinlowcarbman
E-MAIL ME: livinlowcarbman@charter.net

Advanced Low-Carber

I've been having roasted radishes for a few years now. Just cook them with your roast in oil, garlic powder a little salt and pepper. Remove when brown. I try to get the big ones and quarter them. I'm finding that most veggies roasted are just too yummy for words. Try asparagus the same way or celery root too. Some that you never liked you may like roasted. Oh, did I mention brussle sprouts? Roast them!!

Here's my before & after shots and story (link)
http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com/sh...hp?tid=524

Expert Low-Carber

Ummmmmm.....I've gotta try the fried Radishes and roasted. I love radishes and never thought to cook them. Great idea, especially with the extra seasons etc. T

Trish in British Columbia, Canada
"Lord, please keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth!"

Expert Low-Carber

(02-24-2009 06:18 PM)DEEDLYNN Wrote:  LOL Robin....I really liked them. Like I said...first taste...they were okay and I would have made them again...but after doctored....they were fantastic.

Dee, is the texture when cooked the same or similiar to potatoes? Can you still taste the peppery taste that radishes have raw? Thanks!

Marie

Expert Low-Carber

(02-24-2009 09:06 PM)MarieD Wrote:  
(02-24-2009 06:18 PM)DEEDLYNN Wrote:  LOL Robin....I really liked them. Like I said...first taste...they were okay and I would have made them again...but after doctored....they were fantastic.

Dee, is the texture when cooked the same or similiar to potatoes? Can you still taste the peppery taste that radishes have raw? Thanks!

Marie

No...the bitter/pepperiness is gone....it is very similar to potatoes, but they don't really "crisp" up, the soften up.

Expert Low-Carber

(02-24-2009 06:35 PM)Jimmy Moore Wrote:  Okay, that sounds wicked. I HATE radishes with a passion, Dee, but you got me wanting to try this.

I'm not a huge radish fan either....but my friend AJ recommended that I try this and I'm glad I did. Radishes are now on the staples list.

Let me know if you brave it and try them....I wanna see your reaction.

Dee

I agree with Dee. The bitterness goes away when they're cooked. I'm going to have to try roasting them one of these days. That sounds wonderful. Here's what my fried radishes looked like:

[Image: rosy_radish_home_fries.jpg]

My sites:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
In the Kitchen with Linda Blog

Expert Low-Carber

(02-24-2009 10:25 PM)LindaSue Wrote:  I agree with Dee. The bitterness goes away when they're cooked. I'm going to have to try roasting them one of these days. That sounds wonderful. Here's what my fried radishes looked like:

[Image: rosy_radish_home_fries.jpg]

Those look good LindaSue...they look like they browned up a bit. I sliced mine into thin round slices....they didn't really brown. I'm gonna try them this way the next time!

Newbie Low-Carber

I tried these yesterday and they were really lovely so thanks for posting this.

Jo x

Expert Low-Carber

Thanks guys!! I LOVE radishes, but am about the only one in the family that does. I am going to try the protein pancakes from the Protein Power thread and fried radishes for dinner. I am sure the CHEF hubby will be sooo pleased to sit down to dinner with me!!!
nb

PROGRESS - NOT PERFECTION!
Hot Pink Diamondz - MORE THAN A ROCK!Big Grin
[Image: anmafd273b431e5c408.gif]

Advanced Low-Carber

I don't like raw radishes but love them fried in butter and salt/pepper!

Following Atkins since March 2007.
326/184.4/140

Expert Low-Carber

WOW, that was soo good. I sliced and fried them in olive oil with green onions and garlic powder, pepper and a little grinder of garlic and sea salt. My husband even asked for more, but I did not make that much because I did not want to waste them. Thank you soo much! I will not miss fried potatos ever again. If I get a need for that, I will fry up the radishes!!
nb

Expert Low-Carber

(03-10-2009 02:12 AM)wiyaga Wrote:  WOW, that was soo good. I sliced and fried them in olive oil with green onions and garlic powder, pepper and a little grinder of garlic and sea salt. My husband even asked for more, but I did not make that much because I did not want to waste them. Thank you soo much! I will not miss fried potatos ever again. If I get a need for that, I will fry up the radishes!!
nb

LOL--glad you liked them....

See JIMMY!!!!! When ya gonna try them!

Dee

Expert Low-Carber

Yes, Jimmy!! If my hubby can eat them and ask for more, they really have to be good!!
nb

Advanced Low-Carber

WOW....now i have to go shopping! LOL! I wanted something different...and I love fried pototoes..but really don't like radish! Now I will have to grow them this summer! Thank you SO much for the recipe!
Latz,
Robin

START WEIGHT 339, now 304
The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want (those carbs!) Psalm 23
Cool

Check out my art at: http://www.studior.us

Expert Low-Carber

OMG! I tried these tonight and they were delicious. I'm another one that doesn't really care for raw radishes -- but this way -- WOW!

I cut the radishes into slices; about 3 slices per radish. Heated up the olive oil, added the radishes, minced onion, garlic powder, sea salt, and pepper. They were wonderful. Next time, I think I will omit the salt (they were too salty for SO, we don't add salt to anything around here), and I think I will slice up some onions to fry with them. They were great!

Thanks Deedlynn!!

Advanced Low-Carber

(03-10-2009 10:19 AM)DEEDLYNN Wrote:  
(03-10-2009 02:12 AM)wiyaga Wrote:  WOW, that was soo good. I sliced and fried them in olive oil with green onions and garlic powder, pepper and a little grinder of garlic and sea salt. My husband even asked for more, but I did not make that much because I did not want to waste them. Thank you soo much! I will not miss fried potatos ever again. If I get a need for that, I will fry up the radishes!!
nb

LOL--glad you liked them....

See JIMMY!!!!! When ya gonna try them!

Dee

OMG....I tried these tonight also! I'm not a raw radish eater either....I put chopped onion and a large garlic clove...I put a slice of swiss cheese, but I think I'll get some cheddar and try that next time. I sliced mine, but might do the whole ones. Btw, I used coconut oil and they browned really nice in that!

START WEIGHT 339, now 304
The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want (those carbs!) Psalm 23
Cool

Check out my art at: http://www.studior.us