Rating Thread Options
What would you do with side pork?
Post: #1 What would you do with side pork? , 01-18-2009 04:23 AM

Senior Low-Carber

I was given half a freezer full of meat (I know, lucky me), and among the packages are two pounds of side pork. My understanding is that side pork is the same cut of meat as bacon, just not smoked.

I'm not sure what to do with it. Any ideas?
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 01-18-2009 04:35 AM

Expert Low-Carber

Hi,

Is it sliced or whole?

Val

[Image: Val_signature%5B2%5D.png?imgmax=800]
Post: #3 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 01-18-2009 04:57 AM
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2009 05:04 AM by kali.)

Senior Low-Carber

It's sliced. Looks just like bacon.
P.S. What a cool ticker! And congratulations!
Post: #4 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 01-18-2009 10:05 AM

My parents used to call it salt pork, it's more fat than lean. They used to fry that stuff and add it (and the grease) to their vegetables. It adds great flavor and fat is very satiating.

Grace and peace,

moonius

[Image: faq645.jpg]

Perseverance + patience = progress

http://moonius.blogspot.com/
Post: #5 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 01-18-2009 02:43 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(01-18-2009 04:57 AM)kali Wrote:  It's sliced. Looks just like bacon.
P.S. What a cool ticker! And congratulations!

Hi,

Season it like you would any pork and cook like bacon, I make mine in my Nuwave. You can cook until it is soft or until it is really crispy. Both ways are good. I like making mine crispy - it satisfies my need for crunch. I just use Celtic salt to season mine. You can also make a gravy with the melted fat, an egg yolk and some cream.

Val

[Image: Val_signature%5B2%5D.png?imgmax=800]
Post: #6 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 01-18-2009 04:13 PM

Senior Low-Carber

Okay, thanks, guys! I'll try cooking it just like bacon and eat it with my veggies. The gravy sounds fantastic, too; I might try that!
Post: #7 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 02-17-2009 03:03 AM

Senior Low-Carber

If you really have side pork or pork belly, this stuff is excellent when braised or slow roasted. Jamie Oliver has an recipe in the book "Cook with Jamie" that is easy and produces a delicious result.

Start with a 4.5 pound slab. Score the skin with a sharp knife. Rub a dry rub into the scored skin. Jamie used crushed fennel seed, sea salt and blck pepper.

Put fresh fennel, thyme garlic in a roasting pan. Toss with olive oil and salt. Place the pork on top. Preheat your oven to its maximum, then place roasting pan in the oven. After 10 minutes the temp is reduced to 325. After an hour, pour off excess fat, add a bottle of white wine and back in the oven. After the second hour, remove the fennel and keep warm. Return pork to the oven for the final hour. You may need to add a touch of water if the wine has evaporated..

Allow the pork to rest for 10 minutes or so, then cut into large chunks. You can make gravy with the stuff in the pan but us low carbers will forget the flour in this step.
Serve with the fennel, and salsa verde. This is very succulent and delicious.
Post: #8 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 02-17-2009 03:12 AM

Senior Low-Carber

Sounds like a great recipe! Thank you for sharing it.

Unfortunately, my side pork was gross. I cooked it up like bacon and it smelled nasty and tasted worse. I think it may have been really old or something. I threw it out.
Post: #9 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 02-19-2009 02:50 AM

Expert Low-Carber

Kali, I have to laugh, 'cause I found this thread too late.. I was going to tell you that we got side pork with our last hog order, and I was expecting it to taste like bacon too, since they look identical. I also thought it was gross.. no flavor at all - just awful.

Ellen
http://www.healthy-eating-politics.com
http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com
Post: #10 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 02-19-2009 07:37 PM

Senior Low-Carber

Thank you for telling me. Glad to know it wasn't just me. I felt bad throwing it out, but ugh.
Post: #11 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 02-20-2009 01:27 PM

Is side pork like bacon that has been cured but not smoked? I don't care for what the English call bacon and I think it's because it hasn't been smoked. It has an odd gamy taste to me almost like it's spoiled.

My sites:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
In the Kitchen with Linda Blog
Post: #12 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 02-21-2009 08:10 PM

Senior Low-Carber

Yes, that's exactly it, Linda Sue.
Post: #13 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 02-21-2009 08:22 PM

Senior Low-Carber

The pork belly I am familiar is bacon but it has not been cure or smoked. There is no gamy taste at all. But, it is hard to find. I have to special order it. Maybe side pork is something else...
Dave
Post: #14 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 02-21-2009 11:50 PM

(02-21-2009 08:22 PM)CampCook Wrote:  The pork belly I am familiar is bacon but it has not been cure or smoked. There is no gamy taste at all. But, it is hard to find. I have to special order it. Maybe side pork is something else...
Dave

I've never seen either one in the store but I do think that they're two different things.

My sites:
Post: #15 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 02-23-2009 03:01 AM

Senior Low-Carber

Well, my rancher friend who gave me the meat told me side pork is the same thing as bacon except not smoked. And if anyone knows her cuts of meat, she does.

I really don't know if this side pork was spoiled or if that's just the way side pork is.
Post: #16 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 03-01-2009 10:35 AM

Newbie Low-Carber

Any New Englander knows..............Put the side pork in baked beans!!

Laura

"Fools Names And Fools Faces Are Often Seen In Public Places"............Adelaide B DiNardi
Post: #17 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 03-01-2009 03:43 PM
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2009 02:08 PM by moonius.)

Senior Low-Carber

OK, so there seems to be some discussion about the true origin of "side pork". After a modicum of research, I think it is a little like the difference between "rib eye steak" and "del monico steak" that is much ado about not much. Here is a google search that turns up a library of pork cut diagrams.

http://images.google.com/images?client=s...4&ct=title

This one

http://www.highview-farm.com/images/Pork...723007.jpg

probably does the best job of describing the area of the hog we are talking about. There is not much difference between belly and side. They are both lean cuts and either can become bacon. (Also note that the jowl area is sometimes made into bacon.) Most probably the difference between side pork and pork belly has more to do with geographical idioms than anything peculiar about the pig.

Linda mentioned that she had never seen either side pork or pork belly in the store. I have seen side pork in a Mexican market here (Phoenix). But for pork belly, I have had to ask for it from a butcher. The big chains will not even order it, but local butchers will have it for you if you ask. To get it, sometimes I have to describe what I want as uncured and unsliced bacon with skin on.

One other note FWIW. Our good friend Moonius mentioned "salt pork". This is really any one of these cuts that is heavily cured in salt. It is sold in chunks smaller than bacon slabs and unsliced. I buy it from time to time and slice and fry it for breakfast. Many older recipes call for pieces of salt pork to be added to soups or to braising mixtures. I noted that many recipes from eastern Canada (Like Newfoundland) call for the inclusion of salt pork.

Dave
Post: #18 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 03-02-2009 01:44 PM

I've used salt pork in soups and baked beans. Is it made from side pork? I can get salt pork around here but I have no need for anything cured and salty these days.

My sites:
Post: #19 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 02-22-2011 03:43 AM

Sounds great, Spike100 .... but one cup of flour is approx. 90+ carbs. Wink

Kathy in Texas
LCing is no longer a temporary fix, it's my way of life! Wink

[Image: weight.png]
Post: #20 RE: What would you do with side pork? , 02-22-2011 10:39 PM
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2011 01:01 AM by Spike100.)

Junior Low-Carber

(02-22-2011 03:43 AM)BIKINIBOUNDINTX Wrote:  Sounds great, Spike100 .... but one cup of flour is approx. 90+ carbs. Wink
Oops…

I neglect to mention that although you layout about a cup of flour to facilitate mixing in the salt, pepper, and cayenne, and then dredging the pork pieces; your total use is just over 2 tablespoons for dredging about 16 slices of side pork (what you get from a 1 lb. to 1.5 lb. slab of side pork). Only a minimal amount of flour sticks to each slice of side pork since this cut isn’t that fatty.

Flour is inexpensive, so I don’t mind tossing the excess in favor of facilitating the preparation. In fact I find that more flour sticks to meat pieces when you try using less (and that is not what you want) since you tend to “press-down” instead of “floating-and-dredging.”

If you resist sprinkling another tablespoon (probably less, and you don’t need it at all) of flour into the gravy, your total use is about 3 tablespoons or less for the entire recipe. The recipe serves four people (side pork is rich, and that’s about all you will want). The amount of flour is no more than (and probably less than) one tablespoon per person. If you want to eliminate flour in the gravy, a teaspoon of mustard is a good substitute.

My recipe cooking side pork will not work unless you use a minimal amount of flour. If you leave out the flour, you get the greasy, tasteless, and peculiar pork odor that other people contributing to this thread mention.

An excellent accompaniment to my side pork recipe is some greens with oil, topped with a sliced boiled egg. These two provide an interesting and tasteful contrast while complementing each other.

--Spike