Rating Thread Options
How Does Coconut Oil Do in a Deep Fryer?
Post: #1 How Does Coconut Oil Do in a Deep Fryer? , 01-10-2009 05:00 PM

Expert Low-Carber

The title of the thread says it all. I'm considering frying stuff in coconut oil. I would like to experiment and try some fried cheese using parmesan cheese and pork rinds as the breading. Plus, chicken and pork should really be awesome in the fryer.

Has anyone tried to fry meatballs or beef tips? If all this works it should be an incredible way to get my fat up.

...I'm Scottish, and anyone that's been around a Scot knows we'd deep fry ANYTHING! (including our enemies!)

The next time someone questions your Low-Carb way of life, and tries to give you "words of wisdom" against it, quote them these words from Michael Scott of NBC's "The Office": "I will swallow what you just said, digest it, and see what comes out the other end."

Check out my weight loss blog by clicking here!
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: How Does Coconut Oil Do in a Deep Fryer? , 01-10-2009 06:55 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Should be fine.. coconut oil is very, very high in saturated fat and is very stable at high temps. Smoking point is 350 degrees, virgin olive oil has a smoking point of 420 degrees.. You could combine them if you want to fry above 350.

Ellen
http://www.healthy-eating-politics.com
http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com
Post: #3 RE: How Does Coconut Oil Do in a Deep Fryer? , 01-10-2009 07:01 PM

Senior Low-Carber

Why not just use lard?

Cody

[Image: s-weight.png]
Post: #4 RE: How Does Coconut Oil Do in a Deep Fryer? , 01-10-2009 07:23 PM

Expert Low-Carber

(01-10-2009 07:01 PM)fatboymuscleman Wrote:  Why not just use lard?

I'm not against lard right now, but I'm all fired up about the benefits of coconut oil, PLUS coconut oil is soooooo much tastier than lard.

The next time someone questions your Low-Carb way of life, and tries to give you "words of wisdom" against it, quote them these words from Michael Scott of NBC's "The Office": "I will swallow what you just said, digest it, and see what comes out the other end."

Post: #5 RE: How Does Coconut Oil Do in a Deep Fryer? , 01-10-2009 08:47 PM

Expert Low-Carber

Hey Rev.
I have used coconut oil for frying and it's incredible. You know in the Caribbean they use coconut oil for frying a lot.
You'll find it adds a very distinct lightness to the food. I love lard, but there is a definite quality to foods fried in lard. Not bad but different. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Bear

336/253/250 (First Goal)

Visit my blog - http://polarbeardescending.blogspot.com/

[Image: weight.png]

Humans were made to EAT cows and rabbits, not eat LIKE cows and rabbits.
Post: #6 RE: How Does Coconut Oil Do in a Deep Fryer? , 01-10-2009 09:43 PM

coconut oil is GREAT for frying! It's just really expensive.
Post: #7 RE: How Does Coconut Oil Do in a Deep Fryer? , 01-12-2009 01:48 AM

Expert Low-Carber

I was going to comment on the price too, Hogsfan. Deep frying is great if you don't mind wasting so much of it.. Actually, even if it were cheap, it is too valuble to use for deep frying.
Post: #8 RE: How Does Coconut Oil Do in a Deep Fryer? , 01-12-2009 09:50 AM

Expert Low-Carber

Well we've been frying with it in a pan on the stove for a couple weeks now and my wife finds that she can reuse the oil several times before having to throw it out. We use that cheap Luanne stuff I found at Wal Mart for most of the cooking. I just couldn't resist yesterday though and had her fry up some chicken in the Nutiva EVCO, and it was incredible! The skin was better than any ole nasty KFC.

Post: #9 RE: How Does Coconut Oil Do in a Deep Fryer? , 01-12-2009 11:32 AM

Expert Low-Carber

(01-12-2009 09:50 AM)Rev.HaggisMacJedi Wrote:  Well we've been frying with it in a pan on the stove for a couple weeks now and my wife finds that she can reuse the oil several times before having to throw it out. We use that cheap Luanne stuff I found at Wal Mart for most of the cooking. I just couldn't resist yesterday though and had her fry up some chicken in the Nutiva EVCO, and it was incredible! The skin was better than any ole nasty KFC.

Told you so!

Bear

336/253/250 (First Goal)

Visit my blog - http://polarbeardescending.blogspot.com/

[Image: weight.png]

Humans were made to EAT cows and rabbits, not eat LIKE cows and rabbits.
Post: #10 RE: How Does Coconut Oil Do in a Deep Fryer? , 01-12-2009 01:16 PM

Expert Low-Carber

You know, chicken with skin but without breading fried up at home with the Nutiva EVCO is one of the tastiest things I have ever put in my mouth! In fact, my wife and I are scarred today on our hands and tongues because it was so good we couldn't wait for it to cool off before eating it! We kept getting burned, but kept on putting in in our mouths! LOL! But man, was it worth it!

Post: #11 RE: How Does Coconut Oil Do in a Deep Fryer? , 12-30-2009 02:42 AM

Expert Low-Carber

(01-10-2009 07:23 PM)Rev.HaggisMacJedi Wrote:  

I'm not against lard right now, but I'm all fired up about the benefits of coconut oil, PLUS coconut oil is soooooo much tastier than lard.

Well, that's a matter of personal taste. I'd rather eat a pig than a coconut anyday, but I know what you're talking about.

Problem is that coconut oil's smoking point is too low for a deep fryer, sowwy. Sad

No Longer in Texas, but can't change my name Big Grin

I was on the side of righteousness, and like any fundamentalist, I could only stay there by avoiding information. - Lierre Keith
Post: #12 RE: How Does Coconut Oil Do in a Deep Fryer? , 12-30-2009 02:44 AM

Expert Low-Carber

Nothing is tastier than fried chicken in lard. I have coconut flour now, I plan to make some fried chicken as soon as I can buy enough lard to deep fry it, yummy!!! Chicken fried steak, too! Oh boy!

No Longer in Texas, but can't change my name Big Grin

I was on the side of righteousness, and like any fundamentalist, I could only stay there by avoiding information. - Lierre Keith
Post: #13 RE: How Does Coconut Oil Do in a Deep Fryer? , 12-30-2009 06:20 AM

Expert Low-Carber

(01-10-2009 07:23 PM)Rev.HaggisMacJedi Wrote:  

I sautee in coconut oil because it tends to get eaten up. But with deep frying, you have to throw a huge portion away and it is too expensive.