Rating Thread Options
Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna
Post: #1 Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-06-2008 06:42 PM

Senior Low-Carber

I recently tried some Gringo Billy's Tuna Seasoning (from carbsmart.com) -- add 1 tbsp to a can of tuna with Mayo or Miracle Whip. It was OK, but not great.

Ingredients: dill weed, orange peel, pepper, toasted onion, onion powder, hydrolyzed soy protein, potato flour (!?), salt, herbs.

Anybody have any suggestions for better ways to season canned tuna? I'm getting bored with it.

Jim

"KeldiKlutz"
Jim Elwell
Quote this message in a reply
Post: #2 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-06-2008 08:22 PM

I don't use anything fancy as far as seasonings go, just salt and pepper for the most part. However, I like to add sugar free sweet pickle relish to my tuna salad and it contains all kinds of spices. I like the flavor of the relish with tuna. I use Mt. Olive's sweet relish.

My sites:
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
In the Kitchen with Linda Blog
Post: #3 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-06-2008 08:37 PM

Advanced Low-Carber

MAYO + LOTS OF FRESH LEMON JUICE AND CHOPPED GREEN ONIONS

ALSO MAYO + CHOPPED HARD BOILED EGGS PLUS THESE OPTIONS:(FINELY CHOPPED CELERY/PICKLES OR SF RELISH)

I loved these concoctions before going very low carb! The more mayo the better of courseBig Grin

)
Post: #4 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-06-2008 09:49 PM

Hi Jim,

I love tuna! These days, I prefer the Albacore tuna. It is more expensive, but less Fishy tasting overall.

My mom would always make tuna for our family when I was a kid.... she would add one can of water packed tuna (drained), mayo, two hardboiled eggs, chopped dill pickles and chopped green onions. I follow the same tradition.... but I also add lemon pepper, Mrs. Dash and garlic powder.

Many people like chopped celery added too. Recently, I found a recipe where you hard boil your eggs, cut them in half lengthwise ... add the yellow yolk in your tuna mix (and other ingredients) and then re-stuff the hardboiled whites with the tuna mix like you would a deviled egg. I haven't tried it yet... but it sounds/looks yummo! Smile

Kathy in Texas
LCing is no longer a temporary fix, it's my way of life! Wink

[Image: weight.png]
Post: #5 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-07-2008 04:06 AM

Advanced Low-Carber

Jim,

I like to add some mustard and grilled onions to my tuna and mayo.

Grilled onions or, better yet, grilled shallots, make almost any dish better. Smile

Please come visit my new menu blog! http://thewoweezoweemenublog.blogspot.com/
Post: #6 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-07-2008 01:45 PM
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2008 05:25 PM by LindaSue.)

Expert Low-Carber

Kathy....can you share the recipe for the tuna deviled eggs? Sounds pretty good.

Thanks,
Dee

6 days CHEAT FREE!!!!! Big Grin
6 Days out of the handcuffs that bound me to the vending machine at work

The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you're willing to work.

WORKING TO SET MY AUTO-PILOT, Rebooting my unhealthy conditioned thoughts to a healthy natural state.

Post: #7 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-07-2008 01:55 PM
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2008 05:26 PM by LindaSue.)

I'm sorry.... but I don't have a recipe. I read it SOMEWHERE, lol. I'll look around later and let ya know if I run across anything. I think it was on the KK site maybe. Basically, all you do is hard boil your eggs/ slice them lenthwise, scoop out the yellow, mix up your tuna with the yellow and all your favorite fixings, and then stuff the tuna mixture back into to the egg whites like you would a deviled egg stuffing. It's not really a tuna deviled egg.... it's just a different kind of way to enjoy your tuna (instead of on bread!!))Big Grin

Kathy in Texas

Post: #8 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-07-2008 02:00 PM

Okay, Dee...

This one looks good, but there are many available if you google "tuna deviled egg recipe". Enjoy!! Big Grin

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-de...cipe=85798

Kathy in Texas

Post: #9 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-07-2008 02:54 PM

Expert Low-Carber

LOL....I thought you were hidding a specific recipe from us.

I think I'm gonna try this today. I need something new to try.

I did make LindaSues coconut breaded chicken patties yesterday. They were wonderful.

Have a good one.

Dee

6 days CHEAT FREE!!!!! Big Grin
6 Days out of the handcuffs that bound me to the vending machine at work

The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you're willing to work.

WORKING TO SET MY AUTO-PILOT, Rebooting my unhealthy conditioned thoughts to a healthy natural state.

Post: #10 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-07-2008 03:24 PM
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2008 05:26 PM by LindaSue.)

Dee,

Come on now.... I would NEVER hide anything from you!! Tongue LOL I read your post about the Coconut Chix... sounds good too! I just got done making 24 deviled eggs... that's about all the cookin' I'm doing today!! LOL. Easy, but time consuming! Rolleyes

Kathy in Texas

Post: #11 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-07-2008 05:28 PM

Senior Low-Carber

Thanks for all the ideas! Several sound much butter than the seasoning I tried.

Jim

"KeldiKlutz"
Jim Elwell
Post: #12 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-14-2008 07:31 PM

Expert Low-Carber

I found a recipe on Linda Sues website for "Tasty Tuna Devilled Eggs"

I haven't tried them, but they sound yummy!

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/tasty_tuna_deviled_eggs.html

"People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning."
Lao-Tzu

[Image: 2322504w2v5dp6jxf.png]

375/200/175

Join me on Facebook: Low Carb Ladybug
Post: #13 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-15-2008 10:08 AM

Expert Low-Carber

KeldiKlutz Wrote:I recently tried some Gringo Billy's Tuna Seasoning (from carbsmart.com) -- add 1 tbsp to a can of tuna with Mayo or Miracle Whip. It was OK, but not great.

Ingredients: dill weed, orange peel, pepper, toasted onion, onion powder, hydrolyzed soy protein, potato flour (!?), salt, herbs.

Anybody have any suggestions for better ways to season canned tuna? I'm getting bored with it.

Jim
Canned tun is one of my staples, and I prefer to get it packed in oil. That's hard to find these days. I buy at a chain store called Smart and Final where a 4 or 5 lb can costs about $6. I divide the can and freeze in about 1/2 lb portions.

As for the seasonings, I keep a shaker of a mix of salt, pepper and garlic powder in my cabinet. I use that on everything savory I cook. I haven't found artificially sweetened relish, so I buy sour pickles, add artificial sweetner to them in the jar and mircrowave to give me "sweet" pickles to use.

My secret ingredient is vinegar. Unseasoned rice vinegar gives a very mild acidic flavor and balsamic vinegar gives a really bold flavor. The acid also keeps the tuna fresh tasting longer.

For me "a day without raw onions is like a day without sunshine" so I always add those. I'm not much of a celery fan, but sometimes I add some.

But my absolute most favorite way to eat tuna is to make a giant lettuce and tomato salad and put in my tuna, just as I would add shrimp or chicken.

Post: #14 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-16-2008 01:22 AM
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2008 07:36 PM by Noturningback.)

Expert Low-Carber

This is what I do with canned chicken to make chicken salad. It should be good with tuna too. I think they smell and taste the same - LOL.

I mix in a little chopped celery, onion and carrots. If you don't want carrots cabbage would work. A touch of white vinegar, mustard, and mayo. Splenda to taste. Sometimes I add a little sour cream because my husband likes it but, honestly, I don't taste the difference.

~Danielle

~Danielle

"Never eat more than you can lift."
--Miss Piggy
Post: #15 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-16-2008 01:42 AM

Expert Low-Carber

I am headed to Oregon next week & can't wait to get some fresh smoked Tuna & fresh canned. Much better than the chicken of the sea!

"People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning."
Lao-Tzu

[Image: 2322504w2v5dp6jxf.png]

375/200/175

Join me on Facebook: Low Carb Ladybug
Post: #16 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-18-2008 09:34 AM

Expert Low-Carber

One of my favorite very simple ways to eat tuna is to drain the tuna first and then put a liberal amount of heinz white vinegar over it. Cuts the fishy taste, and I love the taste of vinegar. I use to eat it this way with a ton of crackers, now I just eat the tuna and vinegar, still very good.

Shari
348 HW/ 229.5 CW/ 140/GW

To get What you have Never Had, YOU must do what you have never done.

Shari's Journal: Walking the Talk...One day at a time

[Image: 24kcarbcrushers.gif]
Post: #17 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-18-2008 09:39 AM

Expert Low-Carber

swatkins Wrote:One of my favorite very simple ways to eat tuna is to drain the tuna first and then put a liberal amount of heinz white vinegar over it. Cuts the fishy taste, and I love the taste of vinegar. I use to eat it this way with a ton of crackers, now I just eat the tuna and vinegar, still very good.

Wow! A tuna purist! Maybe that's the reason I like the vinegar, too.

I always like tuna salad when somebody else makes it. Is that weird, or what?

Post: #18 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-18-2008 04:15 PM

Thanks for the vinegar idea, Ladies! I had some Salmon in a cup this morning with Rice Vinegar, a little mayo and some spices.... YUMMY!

Kathy in Texas

Post: #19 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-21-2008 01:45 PM

Junior Low-Carber

I frequently use Old Bay seasoning in my Tuna Salad and maybe some dill.

Long-term LCer
Stats: 184/150ish/155 - 5'10"
Combo Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin; Atkins; Protein Power
Post: #20 RE: Looking for Seasoning for Canned Tuna , 09-21-2008 03:24 PM

Expert Low-Carber

CherryCola Wrote:I frequently use Old Bay seasoning in my Tuna Salad and maybe some dill.

I've never used that product and it sounds interesting. I looked it up:

Ingredients

CELERY SALT (SALT, CELERY SEED), SPICES (INCLUDING MUSTARD, RED PEPPER, BLACK PEPPER, BAY [LAUREL] LEAVES, CLOVES, ALLSPICE [PIMENTO], GINGER, MACE, CARDAMOM, CINNAMON), AND PAPRIKA.

I'll bet the cinnamon and cloves make for an interesting taste.