The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum
The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Printable Version

+- The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum (http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com)
+-- Forum: The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: What Are The Low-Carb Options? (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan (/showthread.php?tid=6277)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - JuliaN - 07-24-2011 01:04 PM

Nice to meet you, Peggy!

Yes, I think they will come off quickly too, especially doing 72 Atkins! I have to focus on what I can have, not what I can't.

The funniest thing is, "a one cup salad" ! Is that really worth it? So, I will have both at the same time. I don't think that will be too much of a problem! Tongue

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Buttoni - 07-24-2011 01:44 PM

That's what I do. I usually have my 2-cup salad at lunchtime and do a cooked veggie at dinner. But sometimes I reverse that if I'm doing steak at night. Love a nice salad with a char-broiled steak. Smile

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Cal_Cutie - 07-24-2011 02:55 PM

JULIA LOL!!

That is a great idea Peggy!!!!!!.....maybe I will do more of that this week.. I have really gotten into a BLT salad lately and I eat about 2 cups of it at lunch...hmmm better check the food list on that salad first though.....maybe I will use your guideline...I like the structure of it...

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Buttoni - 07-24-2011 03:49 PM

It's pretty much the way I've always done Atkins really. Not that big of a fan of salads so eating them just once a day is best for me. I eat them better now than when I was a child....but still prefer cooked veggies much, much more. So restricting those to just ½ cup a day has been for me, really the hardest part of backing up to 1972 guidelines. Love my veggies. Smile

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Cal_Cutie - 07-24-2011 03:54 PM

Peggy ..let me ask you something...

So you get 2 cup loosely packed salad per day...basically is lettuce, celery, radish and cukes?? is that correct???

Then your protein of course...from the list from Linda Sue..

Is that what the first week of Atkins 72 looks to you???

Then the second week, you have started adding back your cooked veggies???

I need to go the used bookstore in my neighborhood and see if they have a copy of the book... but I want to do a strict week..and I wanted to know if I had gotten it right, because I want to start tomorrow morning and have things cut and prepared...gonna be hard to do without tomato in my blt salad...but it's all good if it helps me move this weight off of me!!

Your a doll by the way for sharing with me...I had the book once, and my brother borrowed and never to be seen again..

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Cal_Cutie - 07-24-2011 03:56 PM

I hear you Peggy... I can get so tired of eating salad myself....

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - JuliaN - 07-24-2011 05:08 PM

We can do it together, Mel!

Here's what I understand we can eat:

Meat/chicken/fish from the list
Eggs
4 oz cheese per day
4 teaspoons heavy cream per day
2 cups of loosely packed salad, from the salad veggie list
Salad dressing
Lemon or Lime, 1 per day
Butter, Mayo, Oil (coconut oil for me)

I stay away from diet drinks and diet drink mixes because the artificial sweeteners are not what our body recognize as food, they are actually toxins. I will drink water, tea with stevia and my morning coffee of course.

We can do this!!! Big Grin

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Cal_Cutie - 07-24-2011 05:31 PM

Ok Julia, I am almost prepared for this week...I just need one more head of lettuce...so I will have 2 cups of lettuce, cukes and radishes...will make an oil and vinegar and lemon mustard dressing LOL.. for my dinner with a protein..and then for my first meal I will have a couple of eggs and bacon....

We are going to do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope we lose 10 pounds this week!!!

Thanks for your help.. I have been trying so hard to figure this out... Thanks to you and Peggy...

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Buttoni - 07-24-2011 05:44 PM

(07-24-2011 03:54 PM)Cal_Cutie Wrote:  Peggy ..let me ask you something...

So you get 2 cup loosely packed salad per day...basically is lettuce, celery, radish and cukes?? is that correct???

Then your protein of course...from the list from Linda Sue..

Is that what the first week of Atkins 72 looks to you???

Then the second week, you have started adding back your cooked veggies???

I need to go the used bookstore in my neighborhood and see if they have a copy of the book... but I want to do a strict week..and I wanted to know if I had gotten it right, because I want to start tomorrow morning and have things cut and prepared...gonna be hard to do without tomato in my blt salad...but it's all good if it helps me move this weight off of me!!

Your a doll by the way for sharing with me...I had the book once, and my brother borrowed and never to be seen again.

Oh, Melinda, I don't have the 1972 book anymore. I've lost my oldest one. Can't find it on any of our 13 bookcases. Probably loaned it to somebody and they never gave it back or something. So I'm using Linda Sue's post above. I just have the 1992/2002 edition and Nany.

Yes, I ate my 2 c. salad of just those ingredients the first week, one c. salad at lunch and one at dinner with chicken, pork, beef or fish for my meat (no cooked veggies in week 1). I had eggs and either sausage or bacon for breakfast everyday. I'm starting week 2 now and adding back ½ c. cooked veggies once a day (along with the salad). No cheese or dairy is passing my lips right now. I'm not convinced they are not stallers for me. I'm using a variety of cooked low-carb green veggies but basically the foundation veggies of NANY. I'm staying as much under 20 total NC as that routine allows. I'm averaging 8-13 total carbs right now, except for yesterday when I blew it testing that new English muffin recipe at breakfast. I pushed it to 20 carbs yesterday. Won't be doing THAT again. Smile

So I guess you could say I'm doing 1972 Atkins at an accelerated pace, with a 1992 twist? Smile

Girl, I WISH I could lose 10# this week......in my dreams. I'll settle for 3-5#

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Cal_Cutie - 07-24-2011 05:59 PM

I really thank both you and Julia...I also have Nany...I like Nany...because it gave me some portion control on the protein...

Speaking of which, If I eat too much chicken I gain weight.. but not on the cheese.. and I am not a cheese lover!!

Ok ladies...Here is to a good week!! Peggy I will even take a 3 pound loss!!

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Buttoni - 07-24-2011 06:03 PM

We can do this ladies! Smile

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - JuliaN - 07-24-2011 07:25 PM

I'll be thrilled with a 3 lb loss!!! Let's do it!

I do have the book and he talks about increasing carbs after the first week, if you wish, but very slowly, like 5 carb grams per week, in order to keep your body burning fat. I think this is especially important for me to keep in mind with my sedentary post polio body! I am just thankful there is a way I can lose!

I think the simplicity of this is that, as long as you go by the list, you're not even counting carbs yet!

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Buttoni - 07-24-2011 11:42 PM

Only reason I know my numbers is I have logged my food on fitday.com for two years. I'm pretty anal about it. I learned years ago with WW and now with Atkins, the minute I stop logging food, I start seeing carb creep and gain. I know this about myself. Today I had 9.7 total carbs. And I've been quite satisfied with meals and between them with no desire for snacks.

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Buttoni - 07-25-2011 11:38 AM

Oh, WOW! I'm down another pound today! SOMETHING I'm doing is working. That makes 3# lost since July 17th. Whether it's Atkins '72, the 3 new supplements I'm taking, one of the food eliminations over the last 2 months, or the leptin reset protocol I'm trying to follow, I don't know. But I'm just so pleased this appears to be working!

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - mimisooze - 07-25-2011 12:06 PM

(07-25-2011 11:38 AM)Buttoni Wrote:  Oh, WOW! I'm down another pound today! SOMETHING I'm doing is working. That makes 3# lost since July 17th. Whether it's Atkins '72, the 3 new supplements I'm taking, one of the food eliminations over the last 2 months, or the leptin reset protocol I'm trying to follow, I don't know. But I'm just so pleased this appears to be working!

Good for you girl! Sounds like you are finding the right combo.

We are one week in now-8th day-and I'm feeling great. Slept 7 hours last night. I must be on to something. Keeping the stix pink.

Menu today--B- 1 cup Teeccino (off caffiene for time being) Wonderslim pudding
S-HB egg with 1T. Mayo, 1oz Boars's Head low sodium ham
L-WS shake and small salad
S- same as above
D- scallops and shrimp with steamed veggies and arugula and tomato salad
Dessert as always-my precious cherry jello cup lol

Need to plan the next two weeks menu. Blessed to live close to family farm/market with home growns and cheap produce.

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Cal_Cutie - 07-25-2011 01:01 PM

Peggy that is awesome!!! Congrats....when you find out your secret!! LOL Let me know ASAP!! LOL..

I am starting today my strict Atkins 72.. got my stuff and I raring to go...Again I thank you so much for your help...and your blog!

Mimi...wow I read scallops and shrimp and my mouth watered!! sounds delish!!

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Buttoni - 07-25-2011 05:20 PM

Hey, Mimi, I slept great last night too.....8 hours! I haven't done that in eons! 6-6.5 hours is what I usually sleep, occasionally 7. The no snacking of any kind on the Leptin Protocol may be what allowed that. Snacking late at night, which is when I've always been inclined to snack, apparently interrupts melatonin release, which facilitates sleep.

Melinda, I'm convinced being prepared is just as important as motivation. This is what I've had and plan to have for dinner (Spaghetti sauce and Italian meat balls on "zoodles"): http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Buttoni

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - itsjustdawn - 07-25-2011 10:01 PM

Does the 1972 plan actually work for you guys? I bought the book online, haven't even opened the package yet cuz I tried to go back to WW. I am so hungry on WW, and I wasn't losing on low-carb... basically I am depressed. Not sure how else to put it.

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Cal_Cutie - 07-25-2011 10:09 PM

Dawn...This is my first day...I have a week on induction...as for WW, I used to love the accountability of weighing in every week..but boy during the meeting I would be so hungry, I would be thinking about which place I was going to cheat at...while the leader was talking.. I too was always hungry on WW and every other diet I have been on except low carb.. but now I am having problems with low carb..so I am hoping the more stricter version of Atkins...will kick my butt into a much needed losing pattern..

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Buttoni - 07-26-2011 12:17 AM

I was always hungry on WW and really felt deprived. I've never felt that way on Atkins.

For me, the 1972 version is working SO FAR. Been doing 9 days and have lost 4 pounds. And that's following a 17-month stall. So I'd have to say I'm pleased so far. I suppose I could stall again, but...........only time will tell. I'm also following the leptin resistance reset protocol, eating 3 meals a day, heavy protein breakfast and no snacking, EVER. And I believe that is helping me eat less (curbing my appetite) and helping me not get hungry between meals.