The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum
The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Printable Version

+- The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum (http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com)
+-- Forum: The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: What Are The Low-Carb Options? (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan (/showthread.php?tid=6277)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Dave - 06-25-2011 12:13 PM

Hi guys!

There are a lot of low carb newbies on the board. I want to draw your attention to the original 1972 version of Atkins.

LindaSue lays it our in this link.
http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com/showthread.php?tid=62

This diet works. It's pretty much a no BS plan. It's tough, but shreds the weight.

It's pretty much the ideal I try for.

Anyone on this? anyone game to try a week?

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - StoneAgeQueen - 06-25-2011 01:13 PM

The original and the best. Smile

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - JuliaN - 06-25-2011 02:56 PM

This is the plan I used after my firstborn and lost down to 112 lbs from about 150. There was no subtracting fiber so carbs were lower. That was in my early twenties when I still had a metabolism! Big Grin

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - KAS - 06-25-2011 03:41 PM

(06-25-2011 12:13 PM)Dave Wrote:  Hi guys!

There are a lot of low carb newbies on the board. I want to draw your attention to the original 1972 version of Atkins.

Anyone on this? anyone game to try a week?

I used this plan when I weighed 289lbs, lost 100lbs, then over the next few years of stress (divorce, grad school, money problems, etc--you know, life kicked me) I regained some bad habits and regained 50 of that-- but NOT more.

It is the ONLY diet in my life where weight gotten off STAYED off.

The regain was my own darn fault for letting the stress run my eating habits again-- still working on that one!

KAS

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Dave - 06-26-2011 12:54 AM

Hey Kas, we live in societies that push carbs at us day and night.
Some relapse will happen especially when we are stressed. I'm not sure I know any working person that's not stressed.

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - elizas - 06-26-2011 01:36 AM

(06-26-2011 12:54 AM)Dave Wrote:  Hey Kas, we live in societies that push carbs at us day and night.
Some relapse will happen especially when we are stressed. I'm not sure I know any working person that's not stressed.

Hi Dave,
I'm willing to try the challenge for the week. I have tried DANDR and the new plan, but my weight loss with both of these is very very slow and frustrating. I recently ordered a copy of the original 1972 book because I think I may need something a bit more restricted to get my weight loss going and get past this brick wall.
My mother lost a lot of weight following the '72 plan when she was over 70yrs of age and avoided knee replacements and is now fitter and more agile than she has been in many years.
From my understanding there is much less leeway for processed foods and low carb products in the '72 plan which appeals to me as it seems like a more natural way to eat. Will have to give up my sugar free chocolate for a while I suspect.

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Dave - 06-26-2011 09:23 AM

Yeah, it's worth it for a week.

have you had the Doctor check your thyroid and all that jazz?

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - elizas - 06-26-2011 09:30 AM

(06-26-2011 09:23 AM)Dave Wrote:  Yeah, it's worth it for a week.

have you had the Doctor check your thyroid and all that jazz?

Been thinking I should do that.

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - KAS - 06-26-2011 11:08 AM

I always test inside the normal chart for thyroid--near the bottom. But after a doctor ignored that and put me on thyroid, my hair stopped falling out and I slept better and I lost weight.

Finding a doctor who is not wedded to tests that don't give enough information is difficult!

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - elizas - 06-26-2011 11:15 AM

(06-26-2011 11:08 AM)KAS Wrote:  I always test inside the normal chart for thyroid--near the bottom. But after a doctor ignored that and put me on thyroid, my hair stopped falling out and I slept better and I lost weight.

Finding a doctor who is not wedded to tests that don't give enough information is difficult!

That's interesting - my hair has been falling out and I can't lose weight - definitely going to look into my thyroid. Thanks.

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - KAS - 06-26-2011 11:33 AM

(06-26-2011 12:54 AM)Dave Wrote:  Hey Kas, we live in societies that push carbs at us day and night.

No doubt. But it really hit me, AFTER I spent the last three years using various diets that would take as much as 20 pounds off before failing. Sad That without ANY effort on my part, I kept HALF the weight loss from the Atkins diet I did. 50 pounds never came back in spite of ALL the stress and in spite of the calorie restriction diets and in spite of my exercise getting interrupted by pregnancy, graduate school and baby all at the same time.

Then by accident yesterday I ran across the youtube videos for this forum and watched ALL the Gary Taubes videos on there, among others, and I can't even figure out how I ended up there! I was looking at something else, ended up spotting something that made me curious about something totally not related, went to that video, then quite by accident ended up watching a video on law carb.... Tongue serendipity! The right reminder of past success at just the right moment.

Top it off, the FlyLady put up a note on her Facebook that she had just read Gary Taubes newer book! Posted same day as my watching the videos. Smile

I ordered several books so I perhaps can get my hubby (Sears diet follower) to read one and understand why I NEED to go low carb.

I really enjoyed Atkins when I was doing it. I drank my coffee EXACTLY the way I love it. And lost weight. I ate my favorite foods, the ones that make me feel physically and mentally good--and lost weight. I worked out and built muscles--and lost weight.

Lately I have been mentally foggy Sad and I think that was another bit that pulled me back to remembering how I felt on the Atkins.

I don't mind relapses. I happens. Every morning is a do-over opportunity. Cool

I feel like I am coming back on track for my health and this is exciting! Big Grin

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - JuliaN - 07-01-2011 06:43 PM

(06-25-2011 12:13 PM)Dave Wrote:  Anyone on this? anyone game to try a week?
LOL I didn't realize you had issued this challenge! But I did start doing it this Monday and it broke my stall (now granted, mine was a Julia isn't staying on plan stall), I was down 2 this morning. I plan to continue it. I'm hoping to not screw up totally over the holiday.

You're right, it's a no BS plan and it was hard to stay on the first couple of days. The cravings were screaming, but I just kept going. Today I feel very tired, but the cravings are almost nil. It did take 4 days to see the first weight change, so I'm anxious to see the scale in the morning.

I think I need to stay on this for awhile.

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - tek_vixen - 07-01-2011 08:20 PM

(06-26-2011 11:33 AM)KAS Wrote:  

No doubt. But it really hit me, AFTER I spent the last three years using various diets that would take as much as 20 pounds off before failing. Sad That without ANY effort on my part, I kept HALF the weight loss from the Atkins diet I did. 50 pounds never came back in spite of ALL the stress and in spite of the calorie restriction diets and in spite of my exercise getting interrupted by pregnancy, graduate school and baby all at the same time.

Then by accident yesterday I ran across the youtube videos for this forum and watched ALL the Gary Taubes videos on there, ... The right reminder of past success at just the right moment.

Top it off, the FlyLady put up a note on her Facebook that she had just read Gary Taubes newer book! Posted same day as my watching the videos. Smile

I don't believe anything happens by accident! Big Grin These are signs that you're ready to do this!

T-Vix (a fellow Flybaby)

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - KAS - 07-01-2011 08:28 PM

Not only ready to do this, but just in time for my pregnancy so that THIS baby will not be exposed to excess insulin while in the womb because mommy is eating more fat and protein and only low carb veggies like broccoli and spinach, and low carb fruit like whole blueberries (frozen so cheap and ALWAYS on hand, microwave lightly to thaw and pour heavy cream over them... heavenly good!)

Also just in time for me to shift the Little Tiger's diet from low carb veggies and proteins to one with a stronger emphasis on fats and proteins in relation to the veggies.

Only problem is there is not enough food in this house that has enough fat. Hubby eats around a pound of low carb veggies every day with protein usually from meats but not much fat. When I brought home the heavy cream I thought he was gonna faint.

But I can tell I'm not getting quite as much fat as I need to be getting.

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - elizas - 07-01-2011 09:08 PM

I did the no BS challenge for a week - gave up artificial sweeteners, all processed foods and cheese. Also doubled my water intake. 6lb weight loss in 5 days after being stalled for 6 weeks. Can't believe it. Ate 3 full meals a day and one snack. Meat, veges, heavy cream, eggs and butter were the main things I ate.

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - KAS - 07-01-2011 09:13 PM

(07-01-2011 09:08 PM)elizas Wrote:  I did the no BS challenge for a week - gave up artificial sweeteners, all processed foods and cheese. Also doubled my water intake. 6lb weight loss in 5 days after being stalled for 6 weeks. Can't believe it. Ate 3 full meals a day and one snack. Meat, veges, heavy cream, eggs and butter were the main things I ate.

BRAVO! I love reading successes. I suspect I would be better off without the artificial sweeteners, occasional hard salami and cheese-- but it would be really tough!

Today I craved a snack so on my way to a friend's house, I dropped in at the HEB deli and picked up four thin slices of turkey and six thin slices of a really fabulous cheese and the whole thing was something like $1.50, shared with the Little Tiger-- who rejected the cheese and ate happily the turkey, and it tided us over until dinner.

I'm going to steam some boccoli tonight with butter.

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - JuliaN - 07-03-2011 10:09 AM

(07-01-2011 09:08 PM)elizas Wrote:  I did the no BS challenge for a week - gave up artificial sweeteners, all processed foods and cheese. Also doubled my water intake. 6lb weight loss in 5 days after being stalled for 6 weeks. Can't believe it. Ate 3 full meals a day and one snack. Meat, veges, heavy cream, eggs and butter were the main things I ate.
That is a wonderful loss! I have switched to stevia and am doing just fine with it. I am trying to stick closer to this plan for a couple of weeks, maybe longer. We'll see....

How many are doing this for the upcoming week?

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - elizas - 07-04-2011 02:55 AM

(07-03-2011 10:09 AM)JuliaN Wrote:  
That is a wonderful loss! I have switched to stevia and am doing just fine with it. I am trying to stick closer to this plan for a couple of weeks, maybe longer. We'll see....

How many are doing this for the upcoming week?

I found I couldn't get rid of all my cravings without giving up the artificial sweeteners and this is the first time in a looooooong time that I don't feel the need to graze all day long. My need to snack has all but disappeared, which is amazing for someone who has burnt a path to the pantry by walking back and forth to it all day long.

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - Dave - 07-04-2011 02:48 PM

Fantastic!

Sensational!

RE: The original 1972 Dr Atkins plan - itsjustdawn - 07-04-2011 08:01 PM

What is the actual name of this book? I'd like to buy it.