The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum
Ideal Protein? - Printable Version

+- The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum (http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com)
+-- Forum: The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: What Are The Low-Carb Options? (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Ideal Protein? (/showthread.php?tid=5507)

Ideal Protein? - Julee Ware - 01-17-2011 03:52 PM

Hey Y'all,

Normally I am against not eating real food, no matter what plan someone is on. But I have been reading about Ideal Protein for the last few days... and it's very interesting. I know very little about it, except that it's low carb, low fat, low calorie but supposedly the protein keeps people from losing muscle while they lose weight quickly. Anyone ever tried this plan or know someone who has? It's pretty expensive, but I guess it's less than food for some big eaters! :-)

In the interest of full disclosure, the company I do some marketing for (in my signature, but not my company) offers the Ideal Protein plan but I know very little about it except for what is on their website and what I've been able to gather online the last few days. Would love any input if someone has experience with this plan.

Thanks!
Julee

RE: Ideal Protein? - debbyg - 01-17-2011 04:09 PM

I've heard a little about it also. There's also another one I'm fixing to try. I've had alot of friends that started using body by vi so I signed up for it.

RE: Ideal Protein? - Julee Ware - 01-17-2011 05:39 PM

(01-17-2011 04:09 PM)debbyg Wrote:  I've heard a little about it also. There's also another one I'm fixing to try. I've had alot of friends that started using body by vi so I signed up for it.

Hi Debby... what's Body by Vi? Can you believe how many different weight loss plans there are out there? Amazing.

I want one where you lose fast with no loose skin, you are never hungry, you can eat all the carbs and calories you want, and fat doesn't count, either. LOL (then I wake up! LOL)

Thanks,
Julee

RE: Ideal Protein? - medicinewomon - 01-19-2011 08:01 PM

(01-17-2011 03:52 PM)Julee Ware Wrote:  Hey Y'all,

Normally I am against not eating real food, no matter what plan someone is on. But I have been reading about Ideal Protein for the last few days... and it's very interesting. I know very little about it, except that it's low carb, low fat, low calorie but supposedly the protein keeps people from losing muscle while they lose weight quickly. Anyone ever tried this plan or know someone who has? It's pretty expensive, but I guess it's less than food for some big eaters! :-)

In the interest of full disclosure, the company I do some marketing for (in my signature, but not my company) offers the Ideal Protein plan but I know very little about it except for what is on their website and what I've been able to gather online the last few days. Would love any input if someone has experience with this plan.

Thanks!
Julee

Hey Julee--It's all food-based. The protein is composed of packets that are made into foods like omelets, pancakes, oatmeal, chili, etc. They all taste really, really good. I lost over 40 lbs on it and did not crave at all!

RE: Ideal Protein? - Julee Ware - 01-21-2011 02:24 PM

(01-19-2011 08:01 PM)medicinewomon Wrote:  

Thanks!
Julee

Hey Julee--It's all food-based. The protein is composed of packets that are made into foods like omelets, pancakes, oatmeal, chili, etc. They all taste really, really good. I lost over 40 lbs on it and did not crave at all!

The cravings are such a bugaboo.... (sounding like my grandma) I mean, we know we shouldn't eat carbs and especially sugar and white carbs, but it's like the body says "forget what you think... this is what I want" because it's so addicted. UGH!
I was reading about the omelet mix, or maybe it was the pancake mix? made a good "breading" for baked cauliflower.
I am still considering Ideal Protein... and in my darkest hours I think about slice and dice. (WLS) But then... I just can't do it. (yet!)
Can you tell this week was difficult carb wise? I feel guilty, dang it!

Thanks,
Julee

RE: Ideal Protein? - Shrinking Violet - 02-23-2011 12:52 PM

Hiya Julee,

I'd not heard of Ideal Protein (no reason for me to have done so, being in the UK; but, having visited the site - and looked at the products - we do have a programme which is almost identical, which is why this one's worrying me) and I don't like the look of it. There are several things that send sirens blaring and red lights flashing: -

1) No FAQ
2) No NI or ingredients list
3) No allergy info (are the products suitable for diabetics/GF/DF/Soy/Halal/Kosher, etc)

The problem I have with this kind of thing is that in order to keep the calories, carbs and fat low, and protein high, the main protein source is soy (the 'meat' in the chilli and bolognese is basically dehydrated tofu, for example).

I've just been comparing and contrasting to something we have over here called Dietimeal, and the products look pretty much identical (Dietimeal is a French company, so I'm wondering if they have a French Canadian subsidiary company...)

You can have a butcher's yourself here: - http://www.avidlite.co.uk/acatalog/AVIDHIPRO.html
You also want to be looking at the Meal Replacement and Snacks sections (but I'm sure you can figure it out!)

I've just had a butchers at the Avidlite bars again myself, and read the ingredients. They contain no less that FIVE different types of sugar (some contain 6, unless you count honey/maple syrup as fructose). But what they all have in common is SOY!!

I'd avoid this type of thing personally, whether I had issues with soy or not (soy is EVIL!!!!)

Hope that helps,

Sarah
(needing a shower!)

RE: Ideal Protein? - mcesario - 05-01-2012 12:26 PM

Thanks!
Julee

RE: Ideal Protein? - mcesario - 05-01-2012 12:30 PM

Hi Julee,

You should definitely try the Body by Vi 90 Day Challenge. It has worked for me! I lost 26 pounds and 6 inches off my waist. I started in July 2011 and have not gained one pound back! You will be changing your eating habits if you stick with it. I now take one shake a day to maintain my weight and it is gladly part of my routine. I abolutely love my shakes! Try it! The company offers a 30 day money back guarantee! What do you have to lose? Weight, great!!! Check out my website at http://www.mjeannotte.bodybyvi.com. You can sign on directly on the site to become a customer or promoter of the Challenge.

Good luck!
Michelle

RE: Ideal Protein? - T.Low - 08-10-2012 03:47 AM

I kjnow it's an older thead, but...I'm moving on to Phase II of the Ideal Protein protocol.

I really liked the plan. My buddy went from 265 to 205 and said it was the easiest thing he's ever done. I researched it as much as i could and signed up.

I went from 240 to 199 in 10 weeks. Now I'm at 187. Honestly, it's been the fountain of youth for me. My wife and i are having our best summer in over 10 years. I didn't think it was overly expensive.

It had plenty of protein snacks to kwell any of my cookie or chip cravings. I'm actually going to miss having the soups for lunch they are so easy and quick.

A female friend recently began Ideal Protein and she has last 40 pounds and her husband just told me he was finally able to get her into a swimsuit this summer after about 10 yrs of trying. They have both thanked me over and over again for introducing her to IP.

Oh, and as a side benefit, I actually like vegetables now for the first time in my life. (lunch and dinner requires 2 cups of veggies added to the meal).

There is now a FAQ page.

RE: Ideal Protein? - ddg - 12-11-2012 04:34 PM

[quote='mcesario' pid='158078' dateline='1335882411']
[quote='Julee Ware' pid='118353' dateline='1295286733']

hello Julee,

i have done the IPD since august 17 and lost 39 pounds "in the right places"...it is a very doable diet and a brand new way for me to recognize the potential items that put unwanted weight on, especially after retirement...i am happy to have lost all that dangerous weight so fast, but i am also committed to share the knowledge i have gained from it, with the creators of the diet, so they could fine-tune the system for the better of those of us that do not really enjoy the 'carnivorous" path...

research it further...knowledge is power!

ddg

RE: Ideal Protein? - ajcf1995 - 01-23-2013 09:01 PM

It may work, but I feel the need to research for chances of long term damage. I keep feeling like it's another effective fad diet that works until you get you get tired of it. I can't see it ever being a long term diet. I could see it though as a way to lose weight, and then go into a low carb diet, henceforth never getting fat again, but still.

RE: Ideal Protein? - Janknitz - 01-26-2013 01:30 AM

Smart guy, acjf. This thread reads like an infomercial, and I suspect that's exactly what it is. Trolls. If you learn anything from LLVLC, learn this. JUST EAT REAL FOOD. Leave that manufactured fake food product to gullible people who are searching for an easy way out.

Kudos to Shrinking Violet. She recognizes a scam when she sees it.

RE: Ideal Protein? - MarieD - 01-26-2013 01:00 PM

Processed soy, grains and more soy. May as well do Nutrisystem - forget it! Eat natural whole foods, work the micronutrients until you're achieving your goals and watch yourself feel better and better.

RE: Ideal Protein? - debbyg - 01-02-2014 02:21 PM

Wow old thread! I get emails when there's a reply!! I saw where I posted I tried body by Vi, which I did but it's got soy & a co worker that was on it got a messed up endocrin sp? System from those shakes. I have now found the IDEAL protein!! A brand new company still in pre launch has a protein powder that is ALL natural, gluten free, soy free etc made from GRASS FED COWS!! Besides this awesome product they offer a FREE health assessment that is very detailed, medical history, any medications etc & then it gives u a list of nutrients/supplements designed specifically just for you. You can email me for more info. Or look at product faq's at http://www.get-your-idlife.com

RE: Ideal Protein? - jmsmall - 01-08-2014 05:56 PM

My sons in law and I just brought home 160 pounds of Ideal Protein (an elk we got during hunting season.)

Doc Jim

RE: Ideal Protein? - MarieD - 01-09-2014 09:10 AM

Lol!! Doc Jim that's hilarious! Enjoy your elk

RE: Ideal Protein? - T.Low - 02-15-2014 11:40 PM

Well it's not an infomercial, Janknitz, and I'm not a troll, just a guy who used to be fat, now I'm not, not sure why people get so rude on the internet. It was an effective efficient way for me to lose 55 lbs in 4 months, a time period in fact, that was filled with many emotional demands so the last thing I wanted to do was figure out what to eat every meal. (If I were good at that, I wouldn't have ended up being 55 lbs overweight in the first place.)

Now, I read eatingacademy.org, Gary Taubes, etc. and every time I read something that says " to lose weight, eat...." And I grin and chuckle and say to myself, "I've already lost the weight!". Basically, what ajcf said, it's not meant to be a long term diet, but for me and others if was an awesome means to an end.

Janknitz, If you had half a wit about you, you could have composed a more educating, supportive, and even inspiring reply about real foods, but obviously that's not your style, or you simply lack the capability. Then this paragraph would have been dedicated to thanking you instead of pointing out what an ogre you are.

I love being 185. Have found a good long term harmony with the Cyclical Ketosis diet.