The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum
Coffee creamer alternatives? - Printable Version

+- The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum (http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com)
+-- Forum: The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Low-Carb Food & Recipes (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Coffee creamer alternatives? (/showthread.php?tid=4472)

Coffee creamer alternatives? - kali - 03-21-2010 05:14 AM

Are there any non-dairy, soy-free, low-carb alternatives for coffee creamer?

RE: Coffee creamer alternatives? - wen - 03-21-2010 08:29 AM

How about unsweetened almond milk? I have no idea how almondy it taste.

RE: Coffee creamer alternatives? - Suzan - 03-21-2010 09:07 AM

So Delicious brand makes a coconut milk creamer, but all of them have sugar. They also make a 1/2 gallon container of unsweetened coconut milk found in the dairy section. Unsweetened Almond milk is okay too. A lot of people use canned unsweetened coconut milk, like Thai kitchen, as it is fairly thick. (have to stir it)

RE: Coffee creamer alternatives? - kali - 03-21-2010 04:47 PM

Thanks, Wen and Suzan. I like almond milk, but it's too thin for creamer. I'll look for the So Delicious coconut milk creamer, and I will give regular coconut milk a try!

I'm kind of a purist when it comes to my coffee -- either half and half or heavy cream -- although I did use Silk soy creamer for many years. It's quite good, although now word is that soy is bad for us.

RE: Coffee creamer alternatives? - renegadediabetic - 03-22-2010 12:42 PM

I just use cream or half-and-half if cream isn't available. Artificial creamers contain sugar or trans fat. If I can't get the real stuff, I just drink it black.

RE: Coffee creamer alternatives? - kali - 03-22-2010 01:40 PM

I asked for cream ALTERNATIVES because I'm lactose-intolerant and there's a possibility I'm having an insulin reaction to dairy. And I would prefer to drink no coffee than black coffee.

Actually, now I'm thinking I may quit coffee for a while. There is some evidence it also can contribute to insulin-resistance.

RE: Coffee creamer alternatives? - Suzan - 03-22-2010 04:19 PM

(03-22-2010 01:40 PM)kali Wrote:  I asked for cream ALTERNATIVES because I'm lactose-intolerant and there's a possibility I'm having an insulin reaction to dairy. And I would prefer to drink no coffee than black coffee.

Actually, now I'm thinking I may quit coffee for a while. There is some evidence it also can contribute to insulin-resistance.

I'm casein intolerant, and I can tolerate heavy whipping cream. It has a glycemic load of Zero, because it's pretty much all fat. I tried black coffee for about one day, and I couldn't stand it. I've read that coffee can affect insulin resistance, but only if you drink more than 2 cups a day.

RE: Coffee creamer alternatives? - kali - 03-22-2010 05:34 PM

I know that heavy cream has little to no lactose (and therefore, carbohydrates). I want to avoid dairy because someone in another topic pointed out that dairy PROTEIN can act as a insulin mimic in some people with a genetic sensitivity.

RE: Coffee creamer alternatives? - wannabelowcarb - 03-25-2010 06:01 PM

Hi Kali:
Sometimes I use heavier coconut milk in the place of heavy cream. But sometimes I don't want the taste of coconut in my coffee. Mixing a tsp of cocoa into the coconut milk helps disguise it..but this will give the coffee a mocha-like flavor.

A thing to keep in mind about any proteins whether from meat or eggs or dairy is that they are all designed to elicit some insulin response, and it's also dose-dependent. 1 tbsp of heavy cream contains 0.31 g of dairy protein. Compare that to 1oz of hard cheese that contains 7-8 g dairy protein.
Helen

RE: Coffee creamer alternatives? - kali - 03-27-2010 01:50 AM

I am getting closer to making another attempt at low-carb, but dreading doing it without coffee, cream, cheese or butter. However, since my past efforts at low-carb have failed to produce any meaningful weight loss, I'm grasping at straws.

RE: Coffee creamer alternatives? - wannabelowcarb - 03-28-2010 07:22 PM

Hi Kali:
Before (or after) any decision to go completely dairy-free, consider the following research on butter/hwc and casein, as it affects insulin and blood sugar in healthy subjects.

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/search/label/Butter%20insulin%20and%20Dr%20Davis

I am looking at the first table (Dondana paper), and not discussing the second study (Spanish carb+fat studay).

To summarize the table--- an intake of 30 g butter (about 3 Tbsp) caused a tiny blip in insulin within 1 hours and no significant change to BG; ---an intake of 75g pure casein (no carb or fat), which would be about 5 Tbsp of pure protein powder, did cause a significant increase in insulin for beyond 3 hours, WITHOUT a significant drop in BG. That is, no statistically significant hypoglycemia.
To get 75g of casein in hard cheese format, you'd need to eat about 10oz (2.5 cups shredded) cheese at one meal. Okay, the test subjects were all 'healthy'. So that leaves the questions of how would mildly diabetic people respond to a 75g casein challenge? How would they respond to a 2oz cheddar (15 g casein) challenge? To a 2 oz double-cream brie (8-10g casein) challenge?

I often test these hypotheses on my own body by eating the said food items and seeing what happens.

If you are casein-intolerant secondary to gluten-intolerant, it's probable that once your guts heal up from removing gluten, you'll likely tolerate casein again because your guts are no longer 'leaky'.

Helen

RE: Coffee creamer alternatives? - kali - 03-28-2010 08:02 PM

I am capable of eating 10 ounces of cheese at one meal and probably was averaging that on a daily basis during my previous low-carb attempts. I am not overly fond of large amounts of meat, so I ate a lot of cheese and eggs.

This is interesting food for thought. Thanks for sharing. I don't understand, though, how a significant increase in insulin would NOT cause a subsequent drop in blood sugar. Isn't that what insulin does? My suspicion is that it is likely that my dairy consumption WAS keeping my insulin levels high, and thus contributing to my reactive hypoglycemia.

In any case, I've decided to cut out all dairy until I am successfully losing weight. At that point, I'll try to reintroduce it slowly and see what happens.

RE: Coffee creamer alternatives? - wannabelowcarb - 03-28-2010 10:36 PM

To answer your question: the insulinogenic protein (from dairy or meat or egg) also raises the level of glucagon hormone at the 'same' time so that BG does not crash. You might already be aware that glucagon is what the pancreas usually produces in higher concentrations when we are fasting/starving so that in healthy people, the BG doesn't go much below 70 ?units?(or about 3.8 ?units? ). In response to a high carb meal though, glucagon stays low because there's no need to keep BG high...the food does that!

I wish success for you, Kali, during your trial of paleo-like LC.
Helen

RE: Coffee creamer alternatives? - kali - 03-28-2010 11:40 PM

Oh, how interesting. Thank you. I did not know that.

RE: Coffee creamer alternatives? - kali - 04-21-2010 03:33 PM

I tried regular coconut milk in my coffee and it was absolutely revolting. Not cream-like at all, just greasy.

But I just came across this stuff that others mentioned earlier: http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/coconut_milk_creamer.html

I haven't seen it in my local stores yet, but if I can't find it, I'm going to ask for it.