The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum
Nuwave Oven - Printable Version

+- The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum (http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com)
+-- Forum: The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Low-Carb Food & Recipes (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Nuwave Oven (/showthread.php?tid=361)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Nuwave Oven - Valcan - 05-17-2010 10:42 AM

(05-17-2010 09:56 AM)MamalamaNC Wrote:  Hi Val-

I just got my Nuwave yesterday and tried frozen pork chops, can't say I wasn't a little disappointed because they didn't really get browned (just turned white like they would in the microwave). I was wondering if this oven really does brown meat? Has anyone else had this problem? I will be giving it a few more tries before I return it because I am not willing to give up on it yet. I will be looking on line for recipes!

I recommend buying it from a retailer (available at both Kohl's and Home Depot) rather than the web-site because of their poor customer service reviews. I know that my Kohl's will take this back if necessary (but I hope it's not!).

Thanks!

Hi,

I do not do pork chops or steak in the Nuwave. Pork tenderloin works because it is thicker and stays in longer so it gets brown. Try a fattier, denser meat like ribs, bacon, roast or chicken wings. Also, try playing with the times. I cook things longer than the chart says so that I get the browning. The extra time does not dry out the meat if you do not overdo it too much.

I hope your next meal works out better.

RE: Nuwave Oven - Hogsfan - 05-18-2010 03:28 AM

Yeah, think of it as more of a roaster than a grill. The fattier larger cuts are much better. I think the NuWave shines best when it's cooking one of those meats...particularly from frozen. The convenience and flavor can't be beat.

RE: Nuwave Oven - MamalamaNC - 05-18-2010 08:44 AM

(05-18-2010 03:28 AM)Hogsfan Wrote:  Yeah, think of it as more of a roaster than a grill. The fattier larger cuts are much better. I think the NuWave shines best when it's cooking one of those meats...particularly from frozen. The convenience and flavor can't be beat.

Thanks so much for your input! I will keep on trying because I am so ready to love this thing and not have to heat up my big oven this summer!

Happy lo-carbing all!

RE: Nuwave Oven - Hogsfan - 05-18-2010 12:34 PM

Try bacon. Thick cut is about 12 minutes on high. Regular is 10. That should do it, but if it doesn't, give it another minute or 2 till it looks good. Besure to open the lid as soon as it clicks off so it doesn't lose it's crispiness. It's great.

RE: Nuwave Oven - Valcan - 05-18-2010 09:36 PM

It is Lost night which means it is wing night at my house! I love making wings in the Nuwave. They come out just like they have been deep fried.

RE: Nuwave Oven - dawna - 05-19-2010 01:57 PM

We moved the Nuwave in order to make space for a huge gathering here last weekend. I have no idea where my helper put it. I got ready to make some wings last night and was momentarily stumped as to how to cook them. I defrosted in the microwave, then fried in a skillet w/oil, then sauced, then threw in the oven. Took forever, messed up lots of pans/dishes, got oil on the stove. I have to find my Nuwave!

RE: Nuwave Oven - melissa - 06-19-2010 01:06 PM

New here and just got a Nuwave oven. So far I've done pork tenderloin, babyback ribs, the rack of lamb with fresh horseradish rub (which I'm going to try on pork loin tomorrow), chuck roast (almost like a steak), jerkey (my son ate all but a couple of pieces), perfect thick bacon. Today I'm trying one of those marinated turkey tenderloins I got on sale. My set did not come with the low carb cookbook so if anybody has any recipes they can share I would really appreciate it. I started going through this thread but haven't gotten vary far.

RE: Nuwave Oven - LindaSue - 06-19-2010 05:14 PM

Welcome, Melissa. Would you mind sharing the recipe you used for jerky? That's something I haven't tried yet.

RE: Nuwave Oven - melissa - 06-19-2010 06:38 PM

I used the recip that came in my booklet. I found it needed to cook a bit longer than the recipe called for. It was good. My son had it all eaten by the end of the day.

1 # lean beef sliced thin 1/4" thick
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
3 Tbsp liquid smoke
Cayenne peper to taste

Place all ingredients in plastic bag and marinate overnight. Place pieces of meat on liner pan and 4" rack (when using a 2" rack you can use 3 different levels). Do not allow meat to touch or it will slow the dehydrating. Dehydrate on power level 1 for about 3 hours. Pat excess moisture with paper towel, cool and store.

RE: Nuwave Oven - Valcan - 06-19-2010 06:58 PM

(06-19-2010 01:06 PM)melissa Wrote:  New here and just got a Nuwave oven. So far I've done pork tenderloin, babyback ribs, the rack of lamb with fresh horseradish rub (which I'm going to try on pork loin tomorrow), chuck roast (almost like a steak), jerkey (my son ate all but a couple of pieces), perfect thick bacon. Today I'm trying one of those marinated turkey tenderloins I got on sale. My set did not come with the low carb cookbook so if anybody has any recipes they can share I would really appreciate it. I started going through this thread but haven't gotten vary far.

Hi Melissa,

Click the link in my signature. I have tried to compile as many recipes as I could and put them on a free forum. Feel free to add more recipes.

Val

RE: Nuwave Oven - LindaSue - 06-20-2010 01:53 PM

Thanks for posting the jerky recipe, Melissa. The recipe book that came with mine doesn't have that recipe in it. The only jerky recipe that came with mine is from the low carb cookbook and it's different. It's not really a recipe. They just say to season the strips of beef with seasoning salt or whatever you like and dry them on the 1-inch rack. The regular cookbook doesn't have a jerky recipe at all just mention in the back of the book that you can use the Nuwave oven to dehydrate foods.

RE: Nuwave Oven - montster - 07-10-2010 06:33 PM

Shy
(05-22-2008 01:02 AM)weirdstuffinmydesk Wrote:  i had heard about the tops potentially cracking too. How long have you had yours.?
I am really considering it.

We have had our New Wave for 5 years. The dome is not as clear as it was when new but it still cooks like a champ!

RE: Nuwave Oven - LindaSue - 07-11-2010 11:51 AM

(07-10-2010 06:33 PM)montster Wrote:  We have had our New Wave for 5 years. The dome is not as clear as it was when new but it still cooks like a champ!

Welcome montster. I've only had mine a year or two and the dome is already cloudy. That doesn't affect its performance though.

RE: Nuwave Oven - Lsmash - 08-08-2010 01:26 PM

(10-14-2008 08:12 PM)LindaSue Wrote:  That was very poor planning on the part of the company. They're going to lose all the Christmas business. What were they thinking??? Are all of the places that sell them out of stock as well, such as Amazon? Maybe this thread is what caused the shortage, LOL.

RE: Nuwave Oven ,I bought mine from Brylane Home for $ 89. $ 89.00 - Lsmash - 08-08-2010 01:30 PM

(10-14-2008 08:12 PM)LindaSue Wrote:  That was very poor planning on the part of the company. They're going to lose all the Christmas business. What were they thinking??? Are all of the places that sell them out of stock as well, such as Amazon? Maybe this thread is what caused the shortage, LOL.

RE: Nuwave Oven - Valcan - 08-10-2010 02:43 AM

I cracked my dome but was able to order a new one for $15.00 from the website. It is worth every penny to keep on NuWaving.

RE: Nuwave Oven - Corvettebuff - 09-01-2010 04:00 PM

When I went to the Nuwave site they are replacing it with Morningware is this the same great cooking device?
Thanks,
Susan

RE: Nuwave Oven - Mel J - 09-01-2010 08:04 PM

(09-01-2010 04:00 PM)Corvettebuff Wrote:  When I went to the Nuwave site they are replacing it with Morningware is this the same great cooking device?
Thanks,
Susan

I went to what was advertised as the "official site" in Google. Saw no mention of Morningware.

http://www.mynuwaveoven.com/nd8/index.asp?promotion=

They did have a $20 of promotion, however.

RE: Nuwave Oven - LindaSue - 09-02-2010 11:54 AM

The Morningware oven is a totally different product and they have their own website. I don't know if anyone here has tried it.

RE: Nuwave Oven - coldcreekcandles - 12-08-2010 03:06 PM

I'm really thinking I want one of these, do I really need the extender kit?
Thanks for any help