The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum
Nuwave Oven - Printable Version

+- The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum (http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com)
+-- Forum: The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Hungry For Low-Carb Food & Recipes? Here ya go! (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Nuwave Oven (/showthread.php?tid=361)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Nuwave Oven - dawna - 01-09-2009 05:12 PM

In my pre-LC days, I liked to occasionally bake something so the house smelled great when the kids walked in, and they had a snack ready. These days that has changed to wings in the Nuwave. My stepson (the only one still in school) loves to walk in to find wings waiting. Yesterday I made enough wings for the household (20, 19, and 17 year olds, and me). I ate three, my 19-y-o ate two, and the 17-y-o ate the rest. Wow!

RE: Nuwave Oven - Hogsfan - 01-11-2009 10:06 PM

(07-29-2008 09:10 PM)DEEDLYNN Wrote:  I roasted green beans in my NUWAVE tonight.

Fresh green beans outta the garden.....sprayed with a little olive oil Pam...then sprinkled with Garlic Salt and pepper. Roasted for 20 minutes.

These were GREAT!.

I tried this tonight and they were absolutely aweful. I'm not sure what I did wrong.

I used fresh green beans, roasted them for 20 minutes after coating with olive oil and salt (on the top rack).

The skins were rubbery. Anybody have any idear what I might have done wrong?

RE: Nuwave Oven - dawna - 01-13-2009 02:13 PM

I made the BEST tri tip steaks tonight in the Nuwave. I have never, ever, ever been able to do justice to any type of steak or beef. I am so excited! I adapted a rub from Dana Carpender's BBQ book. The meat was done perfectly, and was very tender. I am so excited! (You would have had to taste the tough meat I usually turn out to understand why I am just so excited about this).

RE: Nuwave Oven - Hogsfan - 01-13-2009 08:19 PM

How did you cook it? I love tri-tip.

RE: Nuwave Oven - LindaSue - 01-13-2009 08:21 PM

They don't seem to sell tri-tip here in the Houston area. I hear about it all the time on the cooking shows but have never seen it here. Does it go by any other names?

RE: Nuwave Oven - Hogsfan - 01-13-2009 09:24 PM

Linda Sue,
If it goes by another name, I wouldn't know it. To tell you the truth, the only place I ever see it is Sprout's...which is sorta like Whole Foods only without the attitude (and prices). Do you have any places like that in Houston?

RE: Nuwave Oven - dawna - 01-13-2009 11:21 PM

I got the tri tip at Sam's club, and it has been taking up space in the freezer for awhile. Usually tri tip here is sold more as a roast than as steaks, but these were sold as steaks. They were around 2" thick and some were long, so I cut them into about 6" lengths.

I sprinkled each side with meat tenderizer, then with the rub I had prepared, and let it sit for awhile. Not sure of time, maybe an hour or two.

I cooked them mostly thawed, although still partially frozen. I used the time on the Nuwave chart for thawed (9 min per side) for the first side, but when I flipped them over at the halfway point, they felt awfully close to done so I checked them. I put them in for another 5 min and they were perfect. Honestly, mine could have done with less time, but everyone else likes their meat more "done" than I do. The kids decided they wanted theirs in for another minute, then decided they were overdone at that point. Someday they will learn to listen to me Smile

RE: Nuwave Oven - Hogsfan - 01-20-2009 11:28 PM

Do you guys know of any recipe sites on the web for cooking with the NuWave? I have is the silly page of completely wrong cooking times so I feel like every time I try something new, I have to guess at the cooking times.

RE: Nuwave Oven - LindaSue - 01-20-2009 11:37 PM

Justin, back before I got my Nuwave oven I did a search for recipes and had very little luck. I found one site and printed out a few recipes from there but that's it. I didn't save the link unfortunately but maybe I can find it again. Here you go. I think this was the site:

http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=173654

They're mostly high carb recipes but there are a few adaptable ones mixed in.

RE: Nuwave Oven - MarieD - 01-21-2009 12:46 AM

(01-13-2009 08:21 PM)LindaSue Wrote:  They don't seem to sell tri-tip here in the Houston area. I hear about it all the time on the cooking shows but have never seen it here. Does it go by any other names?

Also Known As: Triangle Steak, Culotte Steak, Bottom Sirloin
And I also saw it listed as Santa Maria Steak

It's especially great marinated.

Marie

RE: Nuwave Oven - LindaSue - 01-21-2009 03:04 PM

(01-21-2009 12:46 AM)MarieD Wrote:  
(01-13-2009 08:21 PM)LindaSue Wrote:  They don't seem to sell tri-tip here in the Houston area. I hear about it all the time on the cooking shows but have never seen it here. Does it go by any other names?

Also Known As: Triangle Steak, Culotte Steak, Bottom Sirloin
And I also saw it listed as Santa Maria Steak

It's especially great marinated.

I've never seen any of those names around here either. You'd think that Texas would have pretty much any cut of beef considering how much of it comes from here. I guess that Texans are content with their briskets and don't need much else, LOL.

RE: Nuwave Oven - Hogsfan - 01-21-2009 07:46 PM

Obviously, that doesn't apply to all Texans. (...although I am definitely NOT knocking brisket.)

Justin
Dallas, TX

RE: Nuwave Oven - RobinM - 02-03-2009 03:53 PM

My Nuwave oven came but U was really busy before vacation so I didn't get to use it. My DS has been using it alot though and he loves it.

DH made chicken breasts on it last night and they came out great.

I am FINALLY giving it a try - I am attempting buffalo wings. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

After the LC cruise DH decided he would give LC a try. I am excited for him (and us!)

RE: Nuwave Oven - dawna - 02-08-2009 03:38 PM

Robin, that is so exciting that your husband is going LC!

I was making hot dogs for the kids last night, and my husband wanted me to put them in the Nuwave, but we were concerned they might explode in there for some reason. Has anyone done hot dogs or sausages in there?

I got a wonderful compliment a few weeks ago. My daughter and I went to Outback Steakhouse and had wings. She told me theirs weren't nearly as good as the ones I make in the Nuwave!

Has anyone tried anything new in theirs?

Dawna

Nuwave Oven - stress/heat cracks in dome ? - Zyarah - 02-08-2009 05:22 PM

I've had my NuWave about 8 months now and use it almost daily. I recently notices some cracks at the top near the heating element. They are inside the plastic and not causing a problem NOW but I anticipate this dome isn't going to last forever. I've been super carefull too, knowing it's fragil.
So anyway, (I'm getting to my point Rolleyes ) I emailed the company AND with proof of purchase they will send another dome for $8.95 (postage). Since the unit has a one year guarantee, check your domes and if you need a new one, better to take care of getting it before your year is up.
I love this appliance, for sure the ONLY appliance I've bought that I use consistantly and am happy with.

RE: Nuwave Oven - luvdogs - 02-08-2009 08:29 PM

Hi dawna -- my SO has made both hot dogs and sausage in the Nuwave and they turn out excellent!

We use ours all the time. It is so quick and easy to make the roast or steaks or whatever in there. Tonight it's going to be duck.

RE: Nuwave Oven - Hogsfan - 02-09-2009 01:08 AM

Zyarah,
Did they make you mail the old one in?

RE: Nuwave Oven - Valcan - 02-09-2009 02:58 AM

Hi,

You can also order just the dome for $15.00 if you have had your unit for more than a year.

Nuwave Parts

Wieners and sausage both turn out great in the Nuwave! Give it a try. Your kids might like wieners but open and sprinkled with shredded cheese. They come out really good in the Nuwave.

Val

RE: Nuwave Oven - Zyarah - 02-09-2009 12:24 PM

(02-09-2009 01:08 AM)Hogsfan Wrote:  Zyarah,
Did they make you mail the old one in?

No, they didn't even mention it. Their shipping seems pretty high - if you order a replacement it is the cost of the dome plus the shipping of $8.95. Of course at the rate I use this appliance I'll be replacing the dome or the entire thing at some point. Well worth it tho.

RE: Nuwave Oven - barbie - 05-14-2009 02:50 PM

Hi everyone....I am a proud new owner of a Nuwave oven and I absolutely LOVE it. Tongue Got it last Friday and I've made beef jerky (so easy & great), beef tenderloin from frozen, grilled portabellos, roasted green beans and pork chops. I am not a full fledged low carber but I do focus on high protien, fresh vegetables and whole grains when I do eat carbs. I have been reading this blog for the last three days and decided to join in.....I am so excited about what I might try next in my new miracle machine....I cooked bacon for the first time last night and it was so good, no mess and I didn't have to fix the whole package.....I am so totally impressed. I am single and usually only cook on the weekend for all week....but then I was stuck eating the same thing every night of the week.....happily, not anymore. This machine allows me the variety in meals that I crave. Keep up with all your great recipe ideas and tips; I'm learning alot.

Barbie Big Grin