The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum
Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - Printable Version

+- The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum (http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com)
+-- Forum: The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Exercise and Low-Carb (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! (/showthread.php?tid=1012)

Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - jeepifer - 08-01-2008 12:20 PM

I've signed up for a 5k in October. This means I need to get off the couch! LOL

I'm going to be following the "Couch to 5k" program, found here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Anyone want to join me? I'd love the support and motivation!

RE: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - pennypritty1 - 08-01-2008 01:26 PM

jeepifer Wrote:I've signed up for a 5k in October. This means I need to get off the couch! LOL

I'm going to be following the "Couch to 5k" program, found here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Anyone want to join me? I'd love the support and motivation!

I don't have a 5K to do here but I'm in for the couch to 5K program, jeepifer! What do I do? I need t'get off my duff and get moving again.

I've never run before. (running from mangy dogs don't count) Wink

RE: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - jeepifer - 08-04-2008 04:44 PM

Today will be Week 1, Day 1. I've been strict very low carb for a week, and I feel great! Energy, optimistic, ready to go!

RE: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - pennypritty1 - 08-04-2008 07:36 PM

jeepifer Wrote:Today will be Week 1, Day 1. I've been strict very low carb for a week, and I feel great! Energy, optimistic, ready to go!

That's great, jeepifer.

I'm still tired a lot... lol but I'm not going to let that stop me. If nothing else, I'm getting on the treadmill and walking. I think the accomplishment will really pep me up. This was such a "Monday" for me, I wish I'd brought my gear with me, cuz I could've used the boxing ring today. loool

My first day starts tomorrow as I'm working out Tues, Thur, Sat/Sun.

RE: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - Pam163 - 08-04-2008 09:51 PM

Well ladies I'd love to join you. I started to do this program over the summer and was totally amazed at how easy it really is!! I broke my little toe two weeks ago so I can't join you ladies, but I sure would love to. I'll be here and cheer you on !!!

RE: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - pennypritty1 - 08-05-2008 11:45 AM

jeepifer Wrote:Today will be Week 1, Day 1. I've been strict very low carb for a week, and I feel great! Energy, optimistic, ready to go!

How'd it go, jeepifer?

RE: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - jeepifer - 08-05-2008 11:48 AM

It didn't. One technical difficulty after another. LOL

I'm planning on going today. How about you?

RE: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - pennypritty1 - 08-05-2008 02:23 PM

jeepifer Wrote:It didn't. One technical difficulty after another. LOL

I'm planning on going today. How about you?

Got my stuff. I wish I could go now. lol

But I'm going after work today. I'm psyched to go. Not as tired as I was yesterday; I'm ready. Smile

RE: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - lowcarbbeliever - 08-17-2008 11:52 PM

Cool Running is a great website ! I have friends at work who are "becoming" runners using the "couch potato" method. I also like the exercises they give which help prevent injuries such as shin splints.

RE: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - Ben Fury - 08-21-2008 06:56 PM

lowcarbbeliever Wrote:Cool Running is a great website ! I have friends at work who are "becoming" runners using the "couch potato" method. I also like the exercises they give which help prevent injuries such as shin splints.

Most important thing to prevent shin splints and stress fractures is to have plenty of fat in the diet and don't do too much volume. This looks like a great program! Good interval work!!

Then in weeks 7,8, 9 they ditch the intervals and just do long runs?!? I'd keep the intervals and just do one long run each week, but that's me.

RE: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - Marnee - 10-07-2008 03:53 AM

Since Cool Running is no longer, if you want a good running community I highly suggest RunningAhead.com. It also has the best workout log I have seen on the web.

RE: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - DEEDLYNN - 10-10-2008 09:03 PM

Hi everyone....I just checked into the Couch to 5K and printed off their training schedule. I'm interested in starting. I like to run. I use to run. and ...well.

I do the Thanksgiving Day Race in Cincinnati every year, which is a 10K. I'd love to run at least part of it this year (I'm usually a walker).

My plan is to start on Sunday. I have already invested in great running shoes...so I'm really ready to roll.

Do you normally run outside or on a treadmill? (Both are available to me). It seems that the treadmill would be easier to track the time for the intervals, but I have found that the treadmill doesn't always prepare me for the pavement in the races.

Let me know what y'all are thinking about this.

Thanks,
Dee

RE: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - Ben Fury - 10-11-2008 01:49 AM

DEEDLYNN Wrote:Do you normally run outside or on a treadmill? (Both are available to me). It seems that the treadmill would be easier to track the time for the intervals, but I have found that the treadmill doesn't always prepare me for the pavement in the races.

Let me know what y'all are thinking about this.

Thanks,
Dee
I'd definitely go for outdoors. Treadmills are boring and I haven't seen one yet that switches speeds fast enough to make intervals easy to do.

I would avoid running at your current weight. Be kind to your knees and ankles and feet and do some speed walking. Add some hand weights and some overhead arm movements if the walking doesn't raise your heart rate enough.

With full swinging arm movements and high speed walking you should be able to get all the workout you need without the pounding of running. Staying injury free is job one. Work up slowly and build from small success to small success!

RE: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - DEEDLYNN - 10-11-2008 02:08 AM

Thanks for your quick response. I agree with boredom on the treadmill.

My weight actually is a bit misleading for my fit level. I play competitive volleyball 4 nights a week and as recently as June of this year was doing a bit of running on the treadmill. I enjoy running, and it has never bothered my joints. Even at 350 lbs, I was playing competitive volleyball and some softball. I didn't really get an interest in running until I was under 300 lbs and started dabbling in it. Again, the weight is a little misleading....although I'd never recommend anyone at my weight that was not already active try it.

I'm very careful to warm up....pay attention to my body signals and running is that one area that I won't push it because it's such and impact sport.

I enjoy an occasional spinning class too, but the same problem...it's boring.

Monday it's back to the weights as well, because when I am weight training, my body simply feels stronger.

Okay...outdoors it is.

Thanks,
Dee

RE: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - Ben Fury - 10-11-2008 04:34 AM

DEEDLYNN Wrote:I play competitive volleyball 4 nights a week and as recently as June of this year was doing a bit of running on the treadmill. I enjoy running, and it has never bothered my joints. Even at 350 lbs, I was playing competitive volleyball and some softball.
You're probably a pure endomorph type then. Endo's are renowned for solid bone structure and ability to tolerate heavy loading.

We had a friend amongst my surf buddies like that. Played tackle or guard in football. Very solid fella. Surprised a lot of people when he'd up that big body and spike on people in beach volleyball! Great vertical leap!!

It's great that you're enjoying your workouts! Having a reason to get in shape like wanting to enjoy and be better at your favorite sports is a fantastic motivator to stick with your diet and conditioning cycles. Keep it up and enjoy!

RE: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - DEEDLYNN - 10-11-2008 11:23 AM

Yeah Ben Fury, I am very very fortunate that my body is good to me despite how I have abused it. It makes me wonder...what I could've been...but...I try not to dwell on that, because with that comes regrets and guilt. I don't need that.

I do try to be aware that I'm not invinsible and be aware of my limitations. But I am fortunate that somewhere under the layers of fat there is strength.

I also try to stay aware that at my current size, an injury could be devastating, so I don't wanna push the envelope to far.

Not sure how a gal who loves sports, competition, and fitness so much...got this bad.

Oh well...enough of the "bad points"...onto creating a strong healthy body.

Dee

RE: Couch to 5k -- let's get moving! - Ben Fury - 10-11-2008 03:08 PM

DEEDLYNN Wrote:I do try to be aware that I'm not invinsible and be aware of my limitations. But I am fortunate that somewhere under the layers of fat there is strength.

I also try to stay aware that at my current size, an injury could be devastating, so I don't wanna push the envelope to far.

Not sure how a gal who loves sports, competition, and fitness so much...got this bad.
NOW is the moment of power. You are regaining your optimum health... NOW.

Watch your biomechanics and use Active Isolated Stretching (AIS) to maintain your ranges of motion and you can maintain your fine functioning lifelong.

My friend Niko is a pure endomorph. He is about 5'5" and is built like a tank. His hands are larger and heavier boned than mine and he's ten inches shorter than me!

In his late fifties, Niko injured his hand and was shocked. He had never been injured before and didn't know what to do for it! I showed him how to ice it and stretch it and he healed quickly. This is the great gift the Grand Designer has given Endos, durability to be truly thankful for.