The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum

Hi Jimmy
In your podcasts recently you have been advocating the use of Ghee for people on a Paleo (no-butter, amongst other things of course) diet. But if Ghee is clarified butter how does that fit in to the Paleo lifestyle?
(I have no beef against Ghee myself, but then I'm not Paleo!)
Ghee has a very long history, it will go right back to the earliest domestication of sheep/goats. The thing is that when you purify butter fat you remove the stuff that goes rancid so it lasts longer, that would have been a great advantage when people didn't have fridges. So although it isn't paleo it does have an extraordinary long history going back as far as there are records.
Sure it can't be true paleo but it's a modification that has a very long history in traditional cultures and does make cooking extremely tasty.
Great question, Di, and ghee most certainly IS Paleo. Check out this link:
http://paleohacks.com/questions/29016/is...z1Y7QR2tsk
http://paleohacks.com/questions/29016/is...z1Y7QR2tsk
Thanks Jimmy and Ted for putting me straight on this. It's very interesting!
Lots to learn.
One problem with ghee is the heating it goes through for clarification, possibly causing some oxidation to the fats....maybe adding to advanced glycation? I am not a real fan of ghee, to me ghee tastes kind of flat, not much flavor and has a waxy texture. I prefer to use raw cream from grassfed cows and hand churn it into butter that contains raw fats with enzymes in tact. It contains beneficial bacteria for gut flora. It has a unique flavor, a bit of a lipase bite like it has a hint of parmesan cheese added, perfect over veggies. The longer the butter is aged, the more 'clutured' it becomes. It can end up tasting as tart as yogurt. Sometimes I add a little kefir for additional strains of gut friendly bacteria. I don't usually cook with it. I use coconut for cooking and try to keep the raw butter in a less heated state.
This ghee from Pure Indian Foods has an AMAZING flavor...definitely not flat. I suppose it depends on the brand you use.
In the UK you can buy Vegetarian GHEE containing
Vegetable Oils, Natural Colouring E160(a), Flavouring.
It's very cheap £2.75 a kg.
Not quite the same as traditional butter derived ghee from Grass-fed cows that are pasture-raised and eat what nature intended them to eat: Grass.
Of the benefits PIF list they don't make the point that cows that live outdoors get the sun on their backs and will have a higher vitamin d status than cows that spend their lives in sheds who have their commercially pelleted food brought to them.
Reference URL's