The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum

Full Version: Finally, a new Taubes blog post
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

DFH

Nice. Thanks for finding that one. I hope GT sticks with it and puts some stupid stuff to bed.

The blogs have been going backwards lately.

Besides Jimmy going Paleo (good), I haven't seen much of anything worth reading lately...just arguing and backsliding. It's enough to make you want to switch the web off.

One of my favorites is Sisson's and his last one was about fighting. Yes, fighting. We are now lost because we don't fight enough. Sheesh, give me a break! Is it just me, or has the net gone completely crazy?
Yep, I have to agree with you!
I think we have to understand the hotspots in the low carb blogosphere will move from time to time.
Interesting to see Might-o'chondri-AL has stuck with Dr Davis and is posting at Wheat belly

I've been spending a lot of time at gnolls J Stanton's blog

DFH

(09-02-2011 06:01 PM)tedhutchinson Wrote: [ -> ]I think we have to understand the hotspots in the low carb blogosphere will move from time to time.
Interesting to see Might-o'chondri-AL has stuck with Dr Davis and is posting at Wheat belly

Who is this Al character? His stuff is too technical for blogs. Blogs are about what to eat, what to do, and who to believe, not "...influence from non-satiation molecules (ex: neuro-peptide Y and agouti related peptide) predominate..." Boring!

Edit: Added this..

I like J Stanton's blog too. I looked and there is a 5-part series on Satiety. OMG... What has gotten into people lately?

Does anyone out there seriously think our diet/health issues are better covered by studying satiety? What does this have to do with what to eat, what to do, and who to believe?

I just want to know what makes sense to eat. I don't worry about eating too much, never did. Who are these people!?
Yeah, most of what "Al" said was Greek to me, but I did get that he was explaining why non-lean people have a decreased ability to feel full when they eat too many carbs.

DFH

(09-02-2011 08:47 PM)marilynb Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, most of what "Al" said was Greek to me, but I did get that he was explaining why non-lean people have a decreased ability to feel full when they eat too many carbs.

People like that are just showing off and they don't realize it does not help. It reminds me of a certain troll on here that got blocked.

Just because you can find and quote geeky, technical stuff (which takes about 15 seconds and grade-school level google skills-woohoo) it does not make one smarter, more accurate, or "right." Remember the old slogan, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS..."

I would be more impressed if someone worked at that level in their day job and then could translate it to "what to eat, what to do, and who to believe.."

I'm seen these types on forums before and I haven't seen a single one of them that actually have more practical info than anyone else.
(09-02-2011 08:17 PM)DFH Wrote: [ -> ]I just want to know what makes sense to eat. I don't worry about eating too much, never did. Who are these people!?
Well try Nom nom Paleo She likes her grub and speaks direct manner which everyone understands but would probably get ***** here
I wish I had someone to cook for me like that.

DFH

(09-03-2011 06:05 AM)tedhutchinson Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-02-2011 08:17 PM)DFH Wrote: [ -> ]I just want to know what makes sense to eat. I don't worry about eating too much, never did. Who are these people!?
Well try Nom nom Paleo She likes her grub and speaks direct manner which everyone understands but would probably get ***** here

Nom nom is a great site with a cool name. I like it!

The photos give me a headache. I used to be a pro photohound, so I notice things. All the pics of food have a depth of field of about 1mm. This is to focus the eye on just one thing and give the rest an artsy blur.

One photo like that is artsy. All of them done that way is painful. I can't look. I want to see all the food and not get a headache.

Smile
(09-02-2011 03:55 PM)DFH Wrote: [ -> ]Nice. Thanks for finding that one. I hope GT sticks with it and puts some stupid stuff to bed.

The blogs have been going backwards lately.

Besides Jimmy going Paleo (good), I haven't seen much of anything worth reading lately...just arguing and backsliding. It's enough to make you want to switch the web off.

One of my favorites is Sisson's and his last one was about fighting. Yes, fighting. We are now lost because we don't fight enough. Sheesh, give me a break! Is it just me, or has the net gone completely crazy?

I cannot agree more. I used to read Sisson's blog until it had a story about a woman who rode horses and then would eat them. How gross and how disrepectful to the animal who *works* for you as a human being.

He's running out of topics.
One of my favourite bloggers is Dave Dixon from The Spark of Reason.

Like Taubes, he has a background in the "hard sciences", and can run rings around the hand-waving nutritionists. Unfortunately, he very rarely writes anything these days, but when he does, it is worth reading.

Like Chris Masterjohn and Peter Dobromylskyj, he is fairly geeky I suppose, but I don't really see anything wrong with this.

Dave was a guest of Jimmy's here.
Gary has posted part II on his blog.

Catching up on lost time -Part II

DFH

(11-09-2011 05:05 PM)gdglc Wrote: [ -> ]Gary has posted part II on his blog.

Catching up on lost time -Part II

Good article, thanks for linking.

I can't waste my time with that nut job Guyenet. I think he made up his theory and went too far with it. It's bunk.

Just look around. Why is it that only modern humans can't seem to figure out weight? All of a sudden our brains do it to us? Let's see the proof. It's just a stupid theory!
(11-11-2011 10:23 AM)DFH Wrote: [ -> ]I can't waste my time with that nut job Guyenet. I think he made up his theory and went too far with it. It's bunk.
LIRKO mice (3) The MCQ Hyperlipid doesn't suffer fools kindly either.
Thank you Ted for that link! My sides still hurt from laughing. I love Peter's blog.
(11-11-2011 10:23 AM)DFH Wrote: [ -> ]I can't waste my time with that nut job Guyenet. I think he made up his theory and went too far with it. It's bunk.

When he first put it forward, I just assumed it was a kind of thought experiment (thinking aloud if you like); something he was putting up for discussion to see where it led, if anywhere. Perhaps at some point, he fell in love with and "married" his theory.

Gary Taubes was right to correct his misuse of the scientific method. He just cites evidence in favour of his theory and ignores contrary evidence.

Besides which, even if we were to accept his theory, I don't see it offers any practical help for the average person, whereas Taubes offers a simple (if not original) remedy that will work for the majority of people. Taubes' remedy doesn't necessarily help people with severe hormonal disruption, but then neither does Guyenet.
(11-11-2011 05:30 PM)rozi Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you Ted for that link! My sides still hurt from laughing. I love Peter's blog.

He's funny and smart all right (it's tougher in the UK to get into Vet school, than into Med school, or so my retired-vet cousin told me - mind you he may be biased). I sometimes find him hard to follow though (although that one was clear enough). Dave Dixon is also funny and smart, but manages to write in a way that is technical, but is still understandable to the lay reader. Masterjohn is similar (without so much funny). I sometimes wonder if Peter is really writing for the general audience or showing off how smart he is. I'm glad he's there though.

Is there any evidence of a Guyenet sense of humour?
I now have him cast as some sort of Puritan, so please don't spoil this by telling me he does stand-up routines on the weekend.
Reference URL's