The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum

I was in San Antonio doing some preparation for my move there in late fall and fell in love with Chicken Fried Steak. I googled this Alton Brown recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/...19,00.html

I figure that I'm going to be adding cream in the egg wash. I'll probably be frying it in butter and canola oil although my grocery started selling actual lard blocks. Anyone ever fry anything in lard?

Its the flour that I can't figure out. I have some Carbquik and some Long's Fryitright on mail order. I take it Carbquik is like flour, but I saw Jimmy use the Long's stuff to fry chicken in one of his YouTube cooking videos. Or I could get some Bob's Red Mill Low Carb Flour, which is not so low carb at 11 per quarter cup, but I could flesh it out with something like Almond flour so the carbs are not too excessive.

Can anyone who has made this help me with the flour part of the recipe? I got my cast iron skillet ready to go.
I don't have an answer, but I hope someone does, because I love chicken fried steak!

(If anyone figures out fried okra, let me know about that, too.)

Carbquik is like Bisquik - a baking mix. I just looked up the Fry It Right product, and it sounds like it might be more what you want.

Let me know if you try it.
Hi,

I used Carbquik, ground almonds, crushed pork rinds and Parmesan cheese. It depends what I have around. Any of the four would work on their own or mixed with each other. I never measure when I make this so I can't help you with how much of each to use.

I have not fried with oil in months now. I always fry with lard, tallow (rendered beef fat that I make on my own from free beef fat that my butcher gives me) or chicken fat (I render this from free chicken skins the same butcher gives me). My favourite is the tallow. I really like eggs cooked in this. Tonight I made fish balls and cooked them in tallow, they were yummy. I like cooking with the animal fats because they have a higher smoking point then nut or vegetable oils so they do not burn easily.

Enjoy your steak! I think I will make one soon too. I love the gravy made of cream, yummy. This goes great with cauliflower "mashed potatoes".

Val
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably try it out with both the carbquik and the Longs fryitright. I wasn't sure about the cream gravy because of the flour. Do I use carbquik in place of the flour in the recipe as well? I'm going to get some lard from the market to use in the frying.

Faux potatoes and chicken fried steak has got to be a natural combination.

I've never seen tallow sold anywhere. I'm not even really sure what it is. How do you make it and how do you store it? Lard is sold in a refrigerated section next to the hot dogs and cheeses so I figure it stays in the refrigerator.
Hi,

I use thicken not thin sometimes for the gravy. If you use cream, it naturally thickens too so you don't need to add anything.

I have never seen tallow in stores either. It is very easy to make. Go to your local butcher or meat department and ask them what they do with they fat the cut from beef. A lot of places throw it away or sell it really cheap.

I go through the fat and cut out any pieces of meat (I put it all in a pile and cook it later - it makes a delicious meal). I then take the pure fat and cut it into dice sized cubes. I put all the cubes in a pot and turn the heat to as low as it goes. I let the pot sit on the stove and stir it about every half hour. It takes most of the day for the fat to melt. The crispy pieces that are left in the pot after are called cracklings and they are delicious. I let the fat cool a bit and then I strain it into a glass container using a cheese cloth lined stainer. Once the fat is cool enough, I pour it into plastic containers. Tallow will keep in the cupboard for a couple of months so I put a container in the cupboard and freeze the rest. It is so worth the effort and one batch lasts me a long time. Just the money I save on cooking oil is worth it. The fat will be golden when it melts and white when it hardens.

When I do chicken fat, I just put the chicken skins on a rack on my Nuwave oven. I cook the skins until they are crispy and the fat falls into the liner pan. Once the skins are done, I let the fat cook a bit and then strain it through a cheesecloth lined strainer. I keep my all my chicken fat in the freezer. I think next time I will pour the melted fat into ice cube trays and freeze it then put the cubes in baggies for easy use. I do not think chicken fat keeps well in the cupboard.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Val
Val

I had a grandmother from Poland and she used to make chicken fat all the time and used it pretty much for anything. When she would get a whole chicken for roasting or to make soup she would save all the excess fat and skin that most people today would throw out. When she had enough she would cook it in a pot with onions and render it that way. After the fat was rendered and poured out she would eat the onions and cooked skin. Nothing with her was ever wasted.

The chicken fat was her basic cooking oil and also found its way into anything that needed a little more flavor. Nothing with her was ever wasted. When she made hamburgers and mashed potatoes the grease from the burgers found its way into the potatoes. She used vegetable oil when it was easier but not that much of it, since she never did anything deep fried. She lived to be 93 WITH a heart condition.

The longer I have been eating LC the more I get into using more animal fats for cooking. I used to use a lot of olive oil and canola oil but not so much anymore. Right now its all bacon fat and/or butter to fry anything. Olive oil is mainly for salad dressings and I use the canola oil to wipe the inside of my cast iron pans after I clean them.

Wikipedia says that although vegetable oils have been around for thousands of years its only in the last hundred years that they have been commercially marketed. Before that it was mostly animal fats. I may remember this wrong, but I think that at one time McDonalds may have cooked their french fries in beef tallow, until they got healthy and switched to vegetable oils.

The next time I go to the market I'll ask for beef fat at the butcher counter and give the tallow making a try. The only problem is that my stove has a hard time keeping a consistently low flame going. Do you think this would work in a crock pot or does it need more direct heat.?
You could use a mixture of low-carb flours, like Carbquik or almond flour with some coconut flour for a very slight sweet taste. Coconut flour what like to use with fried chicken in combination with other flours. And cooking it in coconut oil makes it PERFECT!
Hi Game On,

I have a grandmother from Poland too. As a young woman I used to think about how backwards and old fashioned she was for cooking in such an unhealthy way. What did I know! She is 94 and doing great. Hopefully someday I will be a grandma and I will teach my grand babies about why using animal fat is healthier. My 15 year old is already converted. She gets very frustrated with what they teach her in school about nutrition. I just tell her to most people at one time thought the world was flat and suggested that she learn material, regurgitate it in the test then erase it from memory. She understands the science behind low carb but does do know it well enough to "take on the system".

I would try the tallow in your oven at a low heat. I have been meaning to try this out myself. I am thinking it may be a little faster because the heat will come into the pot from all directions. I am not sure about the crock pot. The oil may get too hot and crack the pot. Let me know how it turns out.

Val
Game_On Wrote:The next time I go to the market I'll ask for beef fat at the butcher counter and give the tallow making a try. The only problem is that my stove has a hard time keeping a consistently low flame going. Do you think this would work in a crock pot or does it need more direct heat.?

Sounds like you could use a flame tamer (heat diffuser) for better control of your cooking overall. They cost just a few bucks. Internet search will turn up many options.
This discussion is so interesting. Thanks for the ideas.
hey game on--I live in San Antonio-are you living here now??
jeri Wrote:hey game on--I live in San Antonio-are you living here now??
f things work out I should be down in San Antonio late fall, early winter.

I was in San Antonio last March and had a great time not doing much of anything. My friends did have to drag me downtown to see both the Alamo and the Riverwalk. Perception is kind of funny; I've had so many people tell me that the Alamo was a lot smaller than they thought, that when I went inside it was a lot bigger than I was expecting. The Riverwalk was great and we went to the Countyline BBQ and I had the Fred Flintstone size beef ribs.

A lot of times I was taken out for Mexican, which I sort of like but am not crazy about. I have a feeling that it was not very good Mexican food to begin with. But the chicken fried steak at a place called Grady's -oh my, that was the highlight of the trip. Must have been there about four days out of seven. That's why I'm on for a low carb version of chicken fried steak.

The amazing thing was that every time I mentioned I was thinking of relocating there the first words out of everyone's mouth, almost with out exception was - " do you know how hot it gets here in the summer? " - kind of questioning my sanity for wanting to move into the heat. I saw all the places that have sun shields over parking places to keep the cars from melting. Must get pretty hot all right.
Game_On Wrote:The amazing thing was that every time I mentioned I was thinking of relocating there the first words out of everyone's mouth, almost with out exception was - " do you know how hot it gets here in the summer? " - kind of questioning my sanity for wanting to move into the heat. I saw all the places that have sun shields over parking places to keep the cars from melting. Must get pretty hot all right.
I don't know if San Antonio gets any hotter than Houston but they are much drier. We've had a fair amount of rain here so far this year and San Antonio is having another drought. You can expect to have water rationing nearly every summer there. We've only had that once in the 15 years we've lived in Houston but SA gets that nearly every summer. My husband's Dad and sister live there.
Yep-we've been hotter than a jalapeno in a heat wave here--hitting around 100 degrees everyday this week. We haven't had any rain in a while and we've been asked to water our lawns only 1 time a week if we must...nothing mandatory yet. We had a nice, wet, mild summer last year. Looks like a scorcher this year.

I'm very familiar with Grady's BBQ-which one did you go to?--we used to get the fried catfish for my Dad!!! I've never had the chicken fried steak. I'm sure it's yummy.

As far as the mexican food goes-San Antonio has Tex-Mex style mexican food and it is different from what most people are used to. We love it, but it's what we grew up on. My sister lives in Houston now and she can't find Tex-Mex like she's used to. When they come to visit, they always stop at the closest mexican restaurant for some cheese enchiladas made with red corn tortillas.

My hubby LOVES chicken fried steak and it would be great to figure out a low carb way of making it!! Linda has such wonderful recipes and suggestions--maybe she can help...I found this on while lookin for some breading { http://lowcarbohydrate.blogspot.com/2007...rving.html } I might try it with some chicken tenders and see if it would work with chicken fried steak.

We also love fried chicken, but we usually just pick up Bill Miller BBQ fried chicken-another fast food chain in South Texas-famous for its iced tea and very reasonable prices. (NOT LOW CARB!)
Depending on how strict you are, you might consider plain old flour. As long as you're doing a dry flour dredge, only 2 or 3 grams stick to a piece of meat. Same is true for chicken-fried chicken. If you doubt it, weigh the flour bowl before and after dredging. Whoever thought fried chicken could be low-carb? But there it is.

However, you're dipping in flour, egg wash, and then crumbs/flour, a lot more carbs are involved.
I use fried pork rinds for all breaded stuff. As for lard -- cooking medium choice of the gods!!!
kittyatlanta Wrote:I use fried pork rinds for all breaded stuff. As for lard -- cooking medium choice of the gods!!!

Yeah, lard its going to be for the frying medium...I ain't messing with the choice of no gods, my life is tough enough .But the pork rinds are kind of a no go for me. I tried that with some chicken cutlets and really noticed the pork, which I didn't like all that much.

Weighing the flour to get an exact carb amount is an excellent idea. I have a bag of Bob's Red Mill low carb flour ( which was an object lesson in reading the nutrition label before purchase ), but its really low in carbs only in relation to full carb flour; 27 for a quarter cup of the full octane flour and 11 for the lower carb version. Its been sitting in my freezer for a while so I should use it for a noble cause before giving it the heave-ho. Bob will serve as my control breading. After that it will be a study in substitute flours looking for what comes closest. I may document this with photos if I can figure out how my camera works.

I went to the Grady's on San Pedro Avenue which really isn't an avenue at all but some kind of long off ramp next to the beltway. San Antonio has not one but two beltways to get lost on. I was there in the winter when it was only pleasantly warm. But apparently the summer temperature is measured not in Fahrenheit degrees but in Scoville units and the hottest part of the day is not noon but five pm.

I'm sure Houston is a fine city but driving through it on the interstate that connects Lousiana with every east west location in Texas I encountered the craziest drivers on the face of the earth. They'd make cabbies in New York city hang their heads in shame.

Besides I read the Houston area is being inundated with something called raspberry ants which are straight out of the Helstrom Chronicles( for anyone under the age of 89- the Helstrom Chronicles was a theoretical documentary about insects overwhelming the earth and all non-insect inhabitants. And this was before killer bees, fire ants and shopping center developers overwhelmed the native habitat.). I'll take water restrictions.
Reference URL's