The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum

Hi I'm a pretty athletic guy, played football in high school plus soccer and karate, also lifted weights for 5+ years. But when I got to college to study civil engineering I became a sedentary man, now I want to get fit again.

I started a workout regimen with EA Active Sport 2 and my own low carb diet following what you guys have posted in this forums. I did the kick start program and now the 9 week program in EA Active 2, Im also doing a dumbbell strength training. With a low carb diet and doing both the kick start and 9 week program in hard I have come down from 222 to 191 today and I expect to break 190 at the end of this week last week of the program. I have only done 2 weeks of strength training on the side because to me ea active is cardio and dosent challenge me strength wise but I will recommend it to anyone to lose weight or as a cardio workout.

I will post my low carb diet, workouts, fat charts, blood test after 3 months, what i like and dint like about ea active 2, what i miss doing my low carb diet and allot of questions on what should be my goal weight, what carbs to add to my diet now, etc...

Although i just posted i have been following your recommendations for 3 months and im grateful because this is the best source for low carb newbies in the internet. THANKS!!!!

This are some of my Low Carb Diet meals; (no milk, bread, sugar)

Breakfast;

3 fried eggs, 2 strips of bacon, sausage, water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice

or

2 boiled eggs, lettuce, carrot strips/red or green peppers, tomatoes/cucumber/avocados, blue cheese dressing/sugar free dijon dressing/sugar free Italian dressing/sugar free raspberry dressing/low carb honey mustard dressing, water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice (egg salad basically)

or

sausage, 3 strips of bacon, water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice

or

Low carb pancake, sugar free syrup, water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice

Snacks;

Sour cream, Cottage Cheese, Whipped cream, raspberry, blueberry, sugar free gelatin (2 of these or smaller portions of all), water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice

or

Low carb cookies (chocalate chips or peanut butter), water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice

or

Low carb Brownies, water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice

Launch
;

Low carb 6" tortila, low carb salsa, pepperoni/chorrizo/pineapple & ham, Swiss/cheddar/Parmesan/mozzarella cheese (basically a low carb pizza), water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice

or

2-3 Low carb Taco shell/tortilla with cook grounded beef, Swiss/cheddar/Parmesan/mozzarella cheese (basically a low carb burrito/taco), water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice

or

2 Hamburger/hot dogs, Reduced sugar ketchup, Pink/Black beans, lettuce, carrot strips/red or green peppers, tomatoes/cucumber/avocados, blue cheese dressing/sugar free dijon dressing/sugar free Italian dressing/sugar free raspberry dressing/low carb honey mustard dressing, water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice

or

Peanut butter/cheese whiz tortilla sandwiches, water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice

Snacks;

Sour cream, Cottage Cheese, Whipped cream, raspberry, blueberry, sugar free gelatin (2 of these or smaller portions of all), water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice

or

Low carb cookies (chocolate chips or peanut butter), water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice

or

Low carb Brownies, water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice

Dinner;

Steak/Pork chops/ cooked ground beef/ Turkey/corned beef/chicken/ribs/(any non process meat), Pink/Black beans, lettuce, carrot strips/red or green peppers, tomatoes/cucumber/avocados, blue cheese dressing/sugar free dijon dressing/sugar free Italian dressing/sugar free raspberry dressing/low carb honey mustard dressing, water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice

or

2-3 Low carb Taco shell/tortilla with cook grounded beef, Swiss/cheddar/Parmesan/mozzarella cheese (basically a low carb burrito/taco), water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice

or

Tuna, mayonnaise, lettuce, carrot strips/red or green peppers, tomatoes/cucumber/avocados, blue cheese dressing/sugar free dijon dressing/sugar free Italian dressing/sugar free raspberry dressing/low carb honey mustard dressing, water/sugar free hawaiian punch/natural lime juice

There are allot of more elaborate dishes that i can mention but i wanted to stay on the basics...

Tips;

This are just a few, tips for seasoning use black pepper, sea salt, chili powder, fresh oregano/cilantro for salads vinegar/extra virgin oil, There are low carb cereals than can be take with cream + water as milk substitute or some low carb soy milks but i dont like them, Sams club has the sour cream/cottage cheese in 5lb containers also the hawaiian punch sugar free and allot of unprocessed meats, also beware of process meats i only eat pepperoni/chorizo/hamburger/hotdogs, finally a great substitute for bread in my diet has been tortillas Mama Lupe's are the lows carb you cand find then in Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore! web site with allot of the sugar free syrup/ketchup/dressings/salsa/etc...

Plz let me know what you think and if you are on a low cabr diet, plz shear your tips for foods/etc...

Also this week will be my 3 month on this diet and will have the blood results on this weekend which i will post, but i feel great and don't expect anything to be wrong, will see...

What i miss the most on this diet;

Candy (Atkins bars are to expensive), Ice cream, bread (integral bread taste horrible), Pasta(i miss it big time), Rice, High sugar fruits, Donuts (Dunkin Donuts/Krispy Kreme), Doritos, soda, fast foods (Chinese rice the biggest one), Alcohol (this is the one i break when ever i go out LOL)

(All beans are not on cans but dry)

I feel great and really strong the protein shakes every day and the supplements are helping me in that area. Since i consider EA Active 2 a cardio workout i have begun a dumbbell routine for strength .

Here is my current weekly workout;

Monday: EA Active 2 Hard (I consider it cardio)

Tusday:

Wensday: EA Active 2 Hard (I consider it cardio)

Thusday-Rest Day:

Friday: EA Active 2 Hard (I consider it cardio)

Saturday:

Sunday: EA Active 2 Hard (I consider it cardio)

(This is my last Week of the 9 week program and i will drop the ea workout on sunday for a rest day)

EA Active 2 Review;

My experience ea active have work really well for losing weight. With a low carb diet and doing both the kick start and 9 week program in hard I have come down from 222 to 191 today and I expect to break 190 at the end of this week last week of the program. I have only done 2 weeks of strength training on the side because to me ea active is cardio and dosent challenge me strength wise but I will recommend it to anyone to lose weight or as a cardio workout.

Pros; heart monitor is great to see your level of effort, kinect does a decent job to not let you cheat on workouts, Web integration with charts of your past workouts is great, workout groups are also great...

Cons; you can't remove Players in your workout that are not using the game anymore, kinect sometimes dosent want to register your movements, game sometimes freezes and you lose all that you have done no way to resume(3 times), they need to make a workout for people that want to workout for more than 9 weeks in the same program, no download content, the elastic will break You need to buy a better one,flexibility, I never did such a extended warm ups and cool downs when I lifted years ago and I can feel the difference now with allot more flexibility......

Here is my curent Fat% chart;

Here are the charts for normal & bodylifting:

I have a Big bone structure by the waist test and i have lifted weights all my live, so what should be my optional weight? im shooting for 175 with weight lifting but the normal chart says it should be 155 and body building chart 210...

Can anyone help?

Another question is what carbs should i start getting back on the diet? I have been eating basically under 5 carb per serving foods ecept beans which after deducting the dietary gram was 15.

What i miss the most on this diet;

Candy (Atkins bars are to expensive), Ice cream, bread (integral bread taste horrible), Pasta(i miss it big time), Rice, High sugar fruits(especially pineapple on pizza), Donuts (Dunkin Donuts/Krispy Kreme), Doritos, soda, fast foods (Chinese rice the biggest one), Alcohol (this is the one i break when ever i go out LOL)

What i'm thinking on adding;

sugar free candy netrition.com, flax chips(dorito supplement netrition.com), pasta 65% indigestible netrition.com, mac & chesse/chilli/etc. 5g microwave cups netrition.com, chocolate/caramel/etc... dips bread/chips netrition.com, GG Scandinavian
Bran Crispbread netrition.com, pinapple...

Im also thinking of adding milk for breakfast with cereals low on carb and popcorn air pop with only salt and butter no oil.

This are the items in netrition with their nutrition facts;

GG Scandinavian Bran Crispbread
Dreamfields Pasta
Jelly Belly Sugar Free Candy
Judy's Candy Sugar Free Caramels
Jok n Al Fruit Spreads
R.W. Garcia Tortilla Chips
Dixie Diner Carb Counters Cup Meals

With the workout schedule i have i believe i can begin to add carbs to my diet, i have been eating each day 20-30 carbs 1000-1500 calories per day. Should i add this items? How high in carb count daily should i go? 50-60 carbs? Are any of this items horrible tasting? What should i be adding to my diet if I'm expanding the daily carb intake?

Blood Results fro Friday;

Blood Test Results after 3 month;

Glucose LO 68 mg/dL 70-99
Urea Nitrogen 9 mg/dL 7-21
Creatinine 1.09 mg/dL 0.60-1.30
UR/Creatinini Ratio 8.6 7.0-25.0
Sodium 140 mmol/L 135-145
Potassium 4.8 mmol/L 3.0-5.0
Chloride 99 mmol/L 97-108
Enzymatic CO2 23 mmol/L 21-32
Anion Gap with K+ HI 23.2 mmol/L 10.0-20.0
Calcium 9.7 mg/dL 8.4-10.2
Total Protection 6.8 g/dL 6.1-8.3
Albumin 4.4 g/dL 3.5-5.0
ALB/GLOB Ratio 1.8 1.0-2.0
Globulin 2.4 g/dL 2.4-3.5
AST HI 44 U/L 9-40
ALT 49 U/L 7-56
Alkaline Phosphatase 101 U/L 38-126
LDH 405 U/L 313-620
Creatine Kinase HI 720 U/L 20-135
Total Bilirubin 0.7 mg/dL 0.2-1.3
Uric Acid HI 11.8 mg/dL 2.5-8.5
Phosphorus 3.5 mg/dL 2.5-4.5
Cholesterol 164 mg/dL 95-200
Triglycerides 122 mg/dL 35-150
Direct HDLC LO 23 mg/dL 40-100
VLDL 24 mg/dL 0-51
LDL 117 mg/dL 87-130
CHOL/dHDL 7 1-5

WBC (white cells count) 6.28 K/uL 4.60-10.2
RBC (red cells count) 5.78 M/uL 4.04-6.13
HGB (hemoglobin or blood in body) 15.0 g/dL 12.2-18.1

The good triglycerides where 300-400 rage befor LC + workouts, LDL is normal which wasn't before i started as well as cholesterol.

The bad Glucose is low by only 2 point and that have never happen in my live, Uric Acid is high first time to don't know why, HDLC is low when i have always have as HI.

Creatine Kisane is always at 700+ when i lift weights, CHOL/dHDL is hi by only 1 point not a concern AST and Anion hi also by few points not a concern either.

NOW TELL ME AM I GOING TO DIE???? LOL

Seriously people with experience help me read this results in the context of a LC diet PLZ....
My Doctor told me that glucose can lower uric acid and i have not been taking any of it. Also the protein shakes + the high protein LC diet is the culprit for high uric acid. He told me to keep drinking the 6 bottle of water daily and add some glucose to my diet. What should i add?
Hi, Welcome to our board! You have quite an extensive program planned out. It is way over my head, so I can't offer any suggestions to improve it. I wanted to stop by, say hello, and let you know that we are not usually this quiet. It must be the summer weather, vacations and 4th of July coming on. Responses are normally prompt and plentiful. We have some extremely knowledgeable people here that can comment on your statistics, so don't give up on us

Hi! thanks!! i was guessing that myself hopefully next week i can get more help...
Well even air popped popcorn is really high in carb so i wont add popcorn to my diet. But fruit with more sugar i will and cereal on the morning to. Will let you know if i stop losing weight because of it...

I noticed in your last post that you are adding sugar to fruit and eating cereal. Are you on a low carb program? Sugar and cereal are two things most low carbers avoid like the plague. Also, glucose is just sugar. Why would anyone add sugar to a low carb program. If anything I would add fat to my diet. More fat, less protein.

I was thinking that if you post this question on the general questions about low carbing section, you might get some responses. While your introductory post in the journal section was interesting, all of the info was a bit overwhelming. If you have a specific question about your blood work, narrowing it down to that would help. Also you say after your "first three months", what were you doing during this time?

You seem very enthusiastic about your program, and I don't want you to get discouraged. Good luck.
I have decided to add sugar to my low carb diet by fruit, banana, pineapple, grapefruit, mangoes, oranges. Also pop corn even air popped have to much calorie so its a no-no for me. Cereal and milk are also out... I need the sugar to lower my uric acid and also because my sugar was low on my blood test, i will keep doing the low carb diet just adding a little sugar i was getting 0 sugar and thats not ok either.
Fructose increases Uric acid levels, I'm not sure why you would want to add fruit to your diet. One thing I noticed is that you're eating a lot of unnatural foods like low carb baked goods (brownies, LC wraps- grains increase uric acid levels) sugar free punch every day, low carb dressings which probably contain artificial sweeteners and soy oils and your diet seemed a bit full of junk before you started low carbing - you need to try and eat clean instead of relying on these types of foods and your diet seems almost completely devoid of Omega 3 sources which is not good. High uric acid levels may point to an over stressed or slightly under functioning liver.. I would suggest to you to cut the alcohol for a while. Did you know your Uric acid levels before you went on a low carb diet? Your Doctor is wrong to blame LC on your high uric acid levels. I suggest you read this:
http://www.paleovillage.com/2011/06/24/p...aleo-diet/
No i had never had high uric acid and the doctor told me glucose lowers uric acid. Also my liver is OK the blood test showed that i do agree that the sugar free and low sugar stuff might have artificial sweeteners but i need more than just meat and salads sorry. I dont drink daily just on weekend socially and not that much. Its true i only eat tuna right now and not to many other fish but its just not my thing.

I gain a lb this week from 191 to 192 dont know if its because of the strength training (muscle weights more than fat) or the sugar in the fruits or both, hopefully i will start losing next week. 17lb to go for my goal. Last time i was lifting weights i got to 185 i have never been rip so maybe this time i will get all the way where i want to be...
Thanks its everything i have done from 3 months in the LC diet. I still have allot of questions but IMHO talking about it with people with years on the diet will help everyone.

I have added sugar to my diet because it was low on the blood test and i have added 2 lb and have stop losing weight right now. Maybe it was premature and the 2 points under 60 was an OK glucose blood test result. I will give it another week and if i dont start losing again the high sugar fruits will have to go...
188 2lb down 13lb to go. The 3 EA active workouts with 3 weight lifting workouts are getting the job done. Im only using the last 4 EA workout phase 3 HARD because even the first week of phase 3 are to week. Added more carb to diet and still losing so eating more of what I like. In 3 more week i will be very close to desire weight of 175. No abs in site and im working my butt off LOL
186lb 11lb to go to my goal, i look really good hoping 175lb is my rip abs weight.
(2 weeks ago) Only did one workout last week after lifting weights my right shoulder was very sore and as a precaution I stop all workouts for the week. Started this week again and the shoulders feel great. Weight 186 did not lose or gain anything which is good I guess... Hoping for 183 after this week I feel really strong after the rest...
185 only lost 1 pound with 6 workouts, 10 lb to go muscle mass has increas which makes me think that's why i only lost 1 pound. Hope to get to 182 Form next week will tight the diet more this week...
Review of food;

Now that I'm 10lb off my goal i am trying out different food's to add.

The Good;

Jok n Al Fruit Spreads Taste incredible and are all low carb
Low Carb Brownie Mix, Chocolate Chip only 8g carb taste good
Low Carb Cookie Mix, Chocolate Chip only 7g carb taste good
Low Carb Cookie Mix, Peanut Butter only 7g carb taste good
Low Carb Buttermilk Pancake and Waffle Mix 0g carb taste good
Sugar Free Syrup, Caramel (plastic) 0g carb less viscasity than real thing taste as good
Reduced Sugar Tomato Ketchup tastes like the normal ketchup
7-inch Low-Carb Tortillas only 3g carb the best tortillas around
La tiara Low Carb sugar free taco shells only 4g carb taste good
http://cgi.ebay.com/tiara-low-carb-sugar...3369ceab83
Salad Dressing, Honey Mustard only 4g carb taste like the real thing
Low Carb Pasta Sauce, Tomato Basil only 4g carb 4 diff. salsa's = tortilla pizza/etc..
Jell-O sugar free pudding Only 4g carb Vanilla and white chocolate Great
Mango/Pineapple/Orange Great with cream cheese/sour cream/cottage
Cashews low on carb taste great

The Horrible;

GG Scandinavian Bran Crispbread Taste like cardboard Horrible
Dreamfields Pasta Taste nothing like real pasta
Dixie Diner Carb Counters Cup Meals HORRIBLE!! i had to throw away all
Jelly Belly Sugar Free Candy Not low carb at all
R.W. Garcia Tortilla Chips 7 chips are 17g carbs NOT LC!!!

Will Try Next;

Wasa Crisp 'n Light 7 Grain
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EUJ...PDKIKX0DER

My only weekly carb cheat is air pop popcorn 1/2 cup kernels is 60g net carbs. I like that it is high on fiber and it makes for better digestion plus i love popcorn.
What have you guys added in pre-maintenance that taste good and only adds complex carbs or a small amount? im looking for a 70g carb per day maintenance. By the ay what is your daily intake of carbs in maintenance?
Well another week with 6 workouts and only 1 pound lost which sucks!!! im at 184lb 9lb off my goal my current Body Fat % is 15%. I think more carbs in fruit and low carb foods are hampering me. 4 straight weeks with only 1lb lost per week...

Dont know if i keep trying this foods or if i go really strict until 175lb and then add new foods....
Big question i have been asking since i started the LC diet. What should be my goal weight???? i started at 222lb and I'm right now at 184lb i have lost 38lb. I feel and look great my goal right now is 175lb but BMI index tells me it should be 159lb, i used to lift weights/play football and i have allot of muscle mass and a big frame which makes me believe it will be impossible for me to be at 159lb healthy. Here are my current Body fat %, BMI and FFMI. Can anyone help me find what should be my goal weight?

Here are my current Body fat %, BMI and FFMI. Can anyone help me find what should be my goal weight?

That is the toughest question of all. I thought for sure that I should be the weight I was in high school and I actually got within 5 pounds. People told me I looked terrible because I was nearly anorexic in appearance. I also knew that my energy was way down and when I sat in my saddle, I was sitting on bones and it was painful. I actually used a foam pad that attaches to the saddle to cushion my seat bones.

I think you must listen to your body and carefully pay attention to how you feel, your energy levels and how much effort it takes to continue to lose weight. My lowest weight was 142 at 5'8". I was bones at that weight at age 60. I have gained back too much and am 182 now. I would like to be in the 170's which is a long way from 142. I'm not teenager anymore and I looked like he** at my teenage weight.

What is that you see your self achieving? I'm old enough to want to be healthy nothing else, just healthy and that is everything.

Good luck with your quest. This is a personal one and only you can answer what is right for you.
Shadow, just looking at your calculations, if you have 157 pounds of lean mass, then clearly 159 pounds isn't a viable goal weight. Listen to your body and it will tell you what's right. If people start telling you that you don't look good, chances are they're right. Good luck!

T-Vix
Reference URL's