The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum

Full Version: Experience with L-Carnitine and Coenzyme
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

angelasherell3

Anyone taking these supplements and have experiences they would like to share? I am trying to lose the last 15 lbs of fat and I have stepped up my game so to speak. Starting by tighting up my diet. I have been a bit lax. I am doing 10 or less total carbs per day, and although I was doing slow burn twice a week I had dropped the cardio. So the cardio is now back at 30 minutes 4x's times a week.
I take 400mg of CoQ10 primarily for blood pressure, but also for the other benefits. Healthy people can get away with 100mg. CONGRATS on your renewed commitment to livin' la vida low-carb, Angela! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Here's a recent blog post I did on Coenzyme 10:

http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.com/20...youve.html

angelasherell3

Jimmy Moore Wrote:I take 400mg of CoQ10 primarily for blood pressure, but also for the other benefits. Healthy people can get away with 100mg. CONGRATS on your renewed commitment to livin' la vida low-carb, Angela! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Here's a recent blog post I did on Coenzyme 10:

http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.com/20...youve.html

Thanks Jimmy. I am following Atkins dosage: 100 mg of CoQ10 and 1500 of the L-carnitine. I had been stalled for weeks and dropped 2 lbs this week. I don't know if it is the supplements or the tighting of the diet or the exercise. Either way I am happy.Big Grin
I don't think it's the supplements, but you could try cutting them out for a week or so to see if there's a difference. That's what I do when I get "stuck." Smile I've done it a lot lately. Tongue

angelasherell3

Jimmy Moore Wrote:I don't think it's the supplements, but you could try cutting them out for a week or so to see if there's a difference. That's what I do when I get "stuck." Smile I've done it a lot lately. Tongue

I Just started the supplements so I know they are not the culprit. It probably was my diet. Too many carbs!
Smile Been there, done that, Angela! Big Grin
I haven't tried the L-Carnitine yet but I started taking CoQ10 about 3 weeks ago. I read up on it and it seemed to be one of those things that in most cases can only help. This is the only thing I have changed recently and that leads me to believe it is the reason my irregular heart beat as calmed down. For quite some time I would get a pause anywhere from every three to every 20 beats. It has gotten more irregular as I've gotten older. Today I gave blood and always get hassled about the pause - I had to get a MD note that I was ok to donate blood. Today before I went in, I went 60 Tongue even steady beats before I felt a pause. The nurse who checked me in did not say anything to me which leads me to believe that she didn't notice the pause. I really believe that the CoQ10 is responsible for this improvement.

Indy
This was a topic of interest for me recently. So I got out my Atkins book to review what he had to say. Regarding Co-enzyme Q10 he says (on page 261) that large doses in excess of 300mgs daily may be required for slow weight loss. After I increased my intake of CoQ10 and Acetyl L-Carnitine and a couple of other supplements, I dropped 5 pounds, after a two week stall.

Years ago, (in the early 80's), when I was an actual patient of Dr. Atkins when I lived in New York, he also had me take phenylalanine, folic acid and niacinamide.

In his book (New Diet Revolution) he states (page 261): " Other nutrients capable of overcoming slow weight loss include chromium, alpha lipoic acid, glutamine, phenylalanine and the combinations of inositol, choline and methionine. To get the optimum benefits of these vitanutrients, you should work with doctors experienced in their use to combine them with the Induction phase of Atkins."

In his book "Age-Defying Diet", on page 359, Table 22.7, his list of Vitanutrients to open up blocked metabolic pathways are: (dosages are for daily intake)
Chromium 400-800 mcg; Carnitine 1,000-2,000 mg; Coenzyme Q10 75-150 mg; Glutamine 2-4 g; Phenylalanine 750-1,500 mg; Choline 750-1,500 mg; Inositol 1,000-2,000 mg; Methionine 400-800 mg; Lipoic acid 100-300 mg.

While shopping for niacinamide, I found that the new no flush type of niacin is from inositol, which was why (I think) I didn't find niacin listed in any of his newer books. I also started taking this as well as the phenylalanine prior to breaking my stall.

Of the many benefits of phenylalanine, appetitie suppression is one of them. Nutrition books do warn against Phenylalanine if a person is pregnant.

Niacin or niacinamide (vitamin B3) is needed for the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins. I'm not sure of why the flush free niacin is composed of inositol hexanicotinate, as the listing for this nutrient is a separate listing from Niacin in the nutritional reference I use and doesn't cross reference each other. However, I do know that niacinamide was the form given to me by Dr. Atkins in the 80's.

I was also trying to find out why I have always used carnitine in the form of Acetyl-L-Carnitine. From Dr. Atkins book, Age Defying Diet, on page 265 he says:

"The amino acid carnitine is one of my favorite vitanutrients. I use it extensively to treat heart disease and metabolic resistance to weight loss, and as a reliable nutritional answer to fatigue.
Acetyl-L-carnitine (ALC) is a sort of super-carnitine. . . .easier to absorb . . ."

Blessings to all,

Judy

naturalhealth

Wow, thanks for all that great information. I've also been doing some research lately, both on CoQ10, and Acetyl L-Carnitine. Both are great supplements to be on while trying to lose weight. I read that L-Carnitine should especially be taken at times when the body is using it faster than it can be replaced...times like during pregnancy, doing intense cardio, weight lifting, etc. So it also makes sense to take it from that perspective (assuming you are exercising while trying to lose weight). Also, both CoQ10 and L-Carnitine are great for the brain and can increase mental performance and energy. So there are a lot of other benefits to taking it as well. You might not necessarily see some dramatic weight loss, but it's beneficial to take and will help in that department.
naturalhealth Wrote:Wow, thanks for all that great information. I've also been doing some research lately, both on CoQ10, and Acetyl L-Carnitine. Both are great supplements to be on while trying to lose weight. I read that L-Carnitine should especially be taken at times when the body is using it faster than it can be replaced...times like during pregnancy, doing intense cardio, weight lifting, etc. So it also makes sense to take it from that perspective (assuming you are exercising while trying to lose weight). Also, both CoQ10 and L-Carnitine are great for the brain and can increase mental performance and energy. So there are a lot of other benefits to taking it as well. You might not necessarily see some dramatic weight loss, but it's beneficial to take and will help in that department.

Welcome Naturalhealth ! Glad to see you jumped right in and posted . Happy to have you here .
Big Grin's , Patti
Reference URL's