The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum

Anyone seen this unbelievable commercial yet? Even worse than Walmart's "healthy" breakfast menu of soy and sugar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ89JaxqVgI
I actually used to eat their crunchy fresco tacos quite often while I was on my moderate carb plan (I've recently cut those out), but then I'm not a super LCr. I used to eat 2-3 tacos a week and still managed to dump 75 pounds All depends on your metabolism.

But don't get me wrong, I know it's crap food
And then Fox News responds with an even dumber doctor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntllqdCjD...re=related

As far as I'm concerned, there are two fast food places that have some reasonable choices:

Jason's Deli, which has quite a few if you allow yourself whole grain bread, and if you don't, they still have a rockin' salad bar & tomato soup. You can also order their salads, their tuna is low in carbs, if I remember correctly.

Then there's Jack in the Box, whose grilled chicken strips, at least here, are nice and juicy, plus I love their chicken club salad. I just tell them to keep the croutons and give me extra dressing

Dine in: Montana Mike's chain in our town has had unbreaded chicken wings on sale for 25 cents each for quite a while and they have a lot of menu items that go with LC..I just have them keep their bread and potatoes and have a salad and green beans or steamed veggies with butter as my sides.

Every town has wings joints, too. I find myself going to those a lot. I don't have a voracious appetite, so I can eat maybe 3 or 4 wing pieces with blue cheese and celery & take the rest home for another meal. Whoever is with me can choose to eat like a fool, but I'm cool with my wings
Not trying to play devil's advocate, here, but Tom Naughton made the point in Fat Head that every fast food restaurant has better and worse choices. (Of course, the doofus news guy who says, "If I'm going to McDonalds I'm not getting the salad" doesn't get that.)

We don't have Jack in the Box here, but Jason's Deli is very good (although not a drive-through in my neighborhood). I'm a big fan of wings, I eat them a lot because most places have them without breading (although you have to ask to make sure). If I have to do fast food I'm going to Wendy's to get the Baconator with no ketchup and toss the buns--lots of meat, lots of cheese, lots of bacon. Yum.

Low Carb Cheater

I'm not big on fast food in general, but according to the website, a fresco taco is 150 calories 70 calories from fat (47% fat), 13g carbs - 3g fiber = 10g net carbs (fiber is counted as 4cal/g in the calorie count), 7 g protein so %fat/protein/carb = 47/19/35 Someone on ANY diet plan could do a lot worse for fast food! Ideal LC, no, but I'm thinking that might be a bit more satisfying than the innards from a Wendy's Jr Bacon Cheeseburger that w/o the bun probably clocks in at 230 cals 16g fat/17g protein/5g carb (it's 25 total) -- better LC ratios and stats, but I can eat one of those in a heartbeat and still want more. Nowadays calories REALLY count for me. I still don't count them formally, but I make conscious efforts to make lower calorie choices (which usually means lower fat) whenever I can. So far I've not found any urge to eat more (volume wise) as a result.

I'm not big on fast food in general, but according to the website, a fresco taco is 150 calories 70 calories from fat (47% fat), 13g carbs - 3g fiber = 10g net carbs (fiber is counted as 4cal/g in the calorie count), 7 g protein so %fat/protein/carb = 47/19/35 Someone on ANY diet plan could do a lot worse for fast food! Ideal LC, no, but I'm thinking that might be a bit more satisfying than the innards from a Wendy's Jr Bacon Cheeseburger that w/o the bun probably clocks in at 230 cals 16g fat/17g protein/5g carb (it's 25 total) -- better LC ratios and stats, but I can eat one of those in a heartbeat and still want more. Nowadays calories REALLY count for me. I still don't count them formally, but I make conscious efforts to make lower calorie choices (which usually means lower fat) whenever I can. So far I've not found any urge to eat more (volume wise) as a result.

Yeah, but I have to wonder what's in that meat, lol. I used to eat 2 or 3 of them for a meal, though and then that adds up. I could get away with 1 for lunch. I do a lot better eating some chicken wings and celery or loading up a Jason's salad bar with 6 hard boiled eggs, spinach mushrooms, onions, cukes, tomatoes, etc and eating on it for 3 days, lol.
every fast food restaurant has better and worse choices.....

True, but have you ever tried to choke down a Long John Silver's baked fish? Awful stuff, but the breaded ones are so good, lol. I don't really care for the salads at Burger King or McDonald's either. I haven't been to a Wendy's in years, but then I'm no fan of hamburgers without the bun.

I'd rather cook a hamburger patty at home and load it up with grilled onions and pickles and eat it like a steak. I'm far too 'delicate' to eat a burger bunless with my dainty little hands, lol. Which reminds me, these things are expensive, but GOOD...Bubba Burgers. They're available frozen at my local Target and they are really tasty and not full of a bunch of artificial crud. Not cheap, either, but I'm willing to pay 1.50 a burger if it's good. They would be great used as chicken fried steak made with coconut flour, which I swear I'm going to open and test out this weekend

Low Carb Cheater

Let me know if that works for you!! Bubba's are great. But unless I'm going to pull a Kramer with the car-b-que sometimes you gotta eat on the road. I will do takeout from a local place or two, but since I decided to take control of my weight that is an awful lot less. Takeout is reserved for cheats. Except a dive bar nearby serves low carb wings on the cheap so it's just not even worth making those at home.
Two thoughts:
1) Wendy's has steadily gone down hill since Dave Thomas died. The quality of the food and consistency of the service has been terrible over the last few years...which is crazy because it used to be great.

2) I tried bubba burgers for the first time this week. I gotta be honest, I wasn't impressed. It's kinda there fault though. I know it's just marketing speak when they write on the box "The best burger you'll ever eat...fresh or frozen" but they really shouldn't have pulled at that thread. I'm mean, they are certainly adequate for frozen burgers (not outstanding...but frozen burger never are) but they are not even in the ball park of a good fresh burger made with 80/20 ground beef and properly seasoned and prepared. I'll definitely eat the ones I have...like I said, they aren't bad, but I was hoping for more.

Low Carb Cheater

They are the best frozen patties I've had, but you're right on this! Talk about an overreach!! You have to flame grill them though. We don't have them often because they are pricey and usually we can just pick up some decent fresh ground beef in about 15-20 min (round trip) ... so it's kinda rare we need to do frozen patties. I did try to make these once in the griddle pan we have. Dry & nasty
AAAAAAH!

OK. Maybe that's the problem. I cooked it in the pan. I'll try them grilled next time. Thanks, LCC.
I like them just fine sprinkled with Lawry's Garlic Salt and pan broiled. Do preheat the pan and cook them on medium-high heat to get them well done without being charcoal on the outside.

I'm a very picky eater and aside from my Umami burgers, these are the best I've had. I think I posted the Umami burger recipe. If I didn't let me know.
I saw this! I am SO blogging about it...soon!
Taco Bell taco meat ingredients (pay attention kids, this gets interesting):

Beef, Water, Seasoning [Isolated Oat Product, Salt, Chili Pepper, Onion Powder, Tomato Powder, Oats, Soy
Lecithin, Toasted Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Maltodextrin, Sugar, Soybean Oil (Anti-Dusting Agent), Black
Pepper, Oregano, Cumin, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Cocoa Powder (Processed With
Alkali), Lactic Acid, Natural Flavors, Natural Smoke Flavor, Modified Corn Starch], Salt, Sodium Phosphate.
CONTAINS SOYBEAN, GLUTEN

So yeah, you can put that in your body if you want to, but have fun with the oats, sugar, maltodextrin, and gluten. You know what I want the ingredients in my meat to be? MEAT.
nothing wrong with onions and garlic in your meat, Rev

It's all that other carp.

I don't like carp in my beef either. Yech.
Carp? Like the fish? I missed that in the ingredients. What are they disguising it as now?
Oh, got it. Oops. My bad.

Low Carb Cheater

Beef, Water, Seasoning [[....]
While I try to avoid this sort of thing, all of those ingredients are part of the seasoning. If one has a sensitivity to something in there (e.g. gluten) this could be an issue, but I'm willing to wager that you will see similar at other fast food joints, on your rotisserie chickens, and probably on your wings, naked fajitas, tortilla-less taco salads/burrito bowls and such at chain restaurants.

How about these ingredients? protein blend [soy protein isolate, whey protein isolate (milk), hydrolyzed collagen, sodium caseinate], glycerine, polydextrose, palm kernel and palm oil, lactitol, soy nuggets (soy protein isolate, tapioca starch, salt), cellulose, coconut oil, natural and artificial flavor (sulfur dioxide), cocoa powder (processed with alkali), olive oil, maltodextrin, soy lecithin, guar gum, caramel color, citric acid, gum arabic, sucralose, mono and diglycerides, dipotassium phosphate, magnesium stearate, acesulfame potassium.

This is in an Atkins bar.

I'm sorry, on Ebay's discussions groups, you can't use the word 'crap', so everyone changed it to carp. I should have been clearer about it, it wasn't a typo, it was just me being stupid, at which I excel.
Reference URL's