The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum

I recently came across a load of crap from Vegan advocate Dr. John McDougall. He has written a new book, The Starch Solution, trying to make the case that a starch-based diet is the best. Here is a recent article.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/feb/starch.htm

What gets me is that he essentailly claims that meat industry is controlling nutritional recommendations. Last I looked at the government food pyramid, starch was at the bottom. Meat and dairy are supposed to be consumed in smaller quantities. The most common ingredients in modern processed food are corn, wheat, and soybeans, items which McDougall praises. Talk about propaganda and trying to convince us that up is down. He also plays the "meat is bad for the environment" card.

According to our government and other "health experts," we are supposed to be consuming mostly starch. I guess McDougall won't rest until we eliminate all meat from our diets. Maybe he improved his health by eliminating meat, but that doesn't mean that's the right approach for everyone. I see what starch does to my blood sugar, so I avoid it.

He also says that Ghengis Khan's troops were starch eaters. Dr. Eads once pointed out that the Mongols under Ghengis Khan were meat eaters and defeated the weaker chinese who ate grain-based diets. Check out his post: Protein helps Genghis Khan conquer the world.
McDougall is an interesting one who butted heads with Dr. Atkins when he was alive. I'd love to get McDufus on my podcast to challenge him on his premise that starch is somehow a "solution" to weight and health problems.
What a bunch of bunk, lol.
I love how he made it seem like the romans oh so pitifully complained of meat and were miraculously turned into war machines when eating according to the amAAAYAYAYAYzing STARCH SOLUTION! (fake sitcom cheer simulation in background).

Another point that I liked was how he said that starches "do not grow human pathogens". I am certified ServSafe® with the American Restaurant Association and I can definately tell you that Starches like cooked rice (and other grains) are high risk food for pathogen growth and must be tightly monitored. They may not be high in the E. Coli risk or salmonella, however (key word right there), they ARE high risk for:

1. a pathogenic bacteria named Bacillus Cereus (which produces two toxins) that LOVE rice (you will puke your brains out)!

2. the dreaded Botulism bacterium (can you say 100% chance of death through paralysis by it's toxins if not immediately hospitalized?) and this bacteria ADORES potatoes!!!!

Wow! Starches are oh so safe (and then we woke up)...
maybe if I cooked some baked potatoes and let them sit out at room temp on a hot day to cool off, Dr. McDougal might like to come over and enjoy some potatoes a la ferment.
(03-06-2009 07:26 PM)Jimmy Moore Wrote: [ -> ]McDougall is an interesting one who butted heads with Dr. Atkins when he was alive. I'd love to get McDufus on my podcast to challenge him on his premise that starch is somehow a "solution" to weight and health problems.

Good luck with that. I remember he once had Dr. Atkins on his radio show for a civil discussion. It would be an interesting interview. though he may very well treat you like Joel Furman did.
That's probably true...but he couldn't be any worse than Ornish was!
Wow! He only goes back 13,000 years, around the dawn of the agricultural age. What about the rest of human evolution? Most of the food he mentions has been cultivated, then processed and finally cooked. People wouldn't eat grasses such as rice or wheat (the modern stuff is nothing like the stuff our ancestors ate) unless starving, like the North Koreans do when they eat grass!

I am a vegetarian and would love for his "diet" to be true. But I know it's not. Starches make me fat and that's that!
(03-06-2009 09:45 PM)BlackPhase Wrote: [ -> ]What a bunch of bunk, lol.
I love how he made it seem like the romans oh so pitifully complained of meat and were miraculously turned into war machines when eating according to the amAAAYAYAYAYzing STARCH SOLUTION! (fake sitcom cheer simulation in background).

Another point that I liked was how he said that starches "do not grow human pathogens". I am certified ServSafe® with the American Restaurant Association and I can definately tell you that Starches like cooked rice (and other grains) are high risk food for pathogen growth and must be tightly monitored. They may not be high in the E. Coli risk or salmonella, however (key word right there), they ARE high risk for:

1. a pathogenic bacteria named Bacillus Cereus (which produces two toxins) that LOVE rice (you will puke your brains out)!

2. the dreaded Botulism bacterium (can you say 100% chance of death through paralysis by it's toxins if not immediately hospitalized?) and this bacteria ADORES potatoes!!!!

Wow! Starches are oh so safe (and then we woke up)...

I had raw potatoes go bad on me. There was a stench from our pantry and when I found the source, it was a bag of potatoes gone bad. Apparently I thought the same as McDufus, without knowing anything about him. Now we all know better.

Kinda' like that Lynyrd Skynyrd song:

Oooo, oooo, that smell; Can't you smell that smell.....

lol,
A few years back there was a chinese restaurant in a little town where I used to live who had been written up by the health department for maggots in their rice. They had a huge pot they dipped out of over and over. That grossed me out so bad...I still think about it.
This reminds me of a fitness/diet guru I ran across the net some years ago who's mantra was, "Carbs are King!" This is an interesting premise since the basis of the American version of the Mediterannean diet is carbs, but we never get told that Italia has the highest diabetes rate in the world. The US is catching up, but I don't think pasta with a red sauce is the solution.

O43
(03-29-2009 10:01 AM)Magenta Wrote: [ -> ]A few years back there was a chinese restaurant in a little town where I used to live who had been written up by the health department for maggots in their rice. They had a huge pot they dipped out of over and over. That grossed me out so bad...I still think about it.

That is what is ironic about the hysterical vegan/vegetarian world. Meat is evil, is causes disease, you get food bourne illnesses from it, etc. And yet, as we know, some of the biggest salmonella out breaks recently have involved fruits and vegetables.

On a side note, I used to work with a vegetarian, quite a lovely young lady who refused to eat meat "because of what they put in it." I would have taken her a bit more seriously except she was eating a bag of Doritos and drinking a Diet Pepsi while telling me these things.

O43
(03-06-2009 07:26 PM)Jimmy Moore Wrote: [ -> ]McDougall is an interesting one who butted heads with Dr. Atkins when he was alive. I'd love to get McDufus on my podcast to challenge him on his premise that starch is somehow a "solution" to weight and health problems.

At one point I wasted money and ordered his Maximum Weightloss book. The week I tried that lifestyle I was so weak at work I almost fainted! I did not lose weight but gained 3 lbs!! I don't see how anyone with any sense could sustain a lifestyle like that!!
Reference URL's