The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum

That's right...one of the most underrated instant low-carb meals for take out or on-the-go is the lowly Rotisserie Chicken. I've noticed that most major grocery chains now sell these tasty birds. And in my not so humble opinion Sam's Club has one of the best at a meager $4.97. If you don't believe me just check out this link that compared the top birds, or should I say the top bird sellers.

I know many of you grab these to take home for a quick meal, but they also are one of the best values for Fast-Food. How's that you ask? Well, grab one and take it to the nearest park, back yard or the tailgate of your pickup truck in the parking lot and dive in with both hands and all your fingers. Or, if you are a more proper sort, pick you up some of that plastic dinnerware at the deli and dissect to your hearts content. This is a lunch, dinner or breakfast fit for a king...or a low-carber...and it costs no more than a Monster Burger or Baconator...actually less in most cases. A Monster Burger is sold as 2/3 pound but can't hold a light to the Big Bird at 3+ pounds!

You'll be stuffed before you finish it off. So, eat all you can, take the rest home, or if you can't keep it with you to take it home you've still got a great meal at 5 bucks! A bottle of water and a Big Bird...it don't get no better than this!

This is just another important part of the strategy to always have something low-carb available, especially in your commuting and traveling. As Dr. Gullo says, "Willpower doesn't work...strategy does!"
I love roti-chix! The skin rocks.... and so does the bird!!! If you go to Walmart late night... you can usually get one for half price... as well as the other Hot Deli foods! I bought one the other night for $2.50!!

I wonder how many hidden carbs might be in the bird? Just seems like the marinade could be a little tricky!
BIKINIBOUNDINTX Wrote:I love roti-chix! The skin rocks.... and so does the bird!!! If you go to Walmart late night... you can usually get one for half price... as well as the other Hot Deli foods! I bought one the other night for $2.50!!

I wonder how many hidden carbs might be in the bird? Just seems like the marinade could be a little tricky!

Here's my take on that if I need something on the go. It's a world better than the breaded and fried stuff, the tater wedges, etc. I imagine a person might be able to locate some nutrition info on them if you poke around long enough.
Okay Ron... ya got me curious on the nutrition facts-- so I had to go digging in the trash, but here ya go for Sun Dried Tomato, Garlic and Basil Rotisserie Chicken from Walmart:

Serving Size: 3 oz
Servings per container: about 8
Calories: 170
Total fat: 11 g
Sat fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
Sodium: 1060 mg
Total Carbs: 3 g
Sugars: 1 g
Protein: 15 g

Dextrose and Sugar are listed on the ingredients... but overall, the whole chicken has about 24 carbs. I bet the carbs would be less if you didn't eat the skin-- where the marinade is!
That's a lot of carbs for one chicken! However, I normally can only eat about a fourth of one, so that'd only be about 6 carbs I guess. And, oh, I can't eat one without eatin' the skin. I know that grosses some peeps out but I love the stuff like I love the fat on steak, chops, etc.

I hate the fact everything seems to be loaded with sugar. I once loved it...sad ain't it?
I've wanted to try a rotisserie chicken but they never sell them as early in the morning as I do my grocery shopping. They do seem to be a good value for the money. As a bonus, after you've picked all the meat off the bones, you can simmer the carcass and make some chicken broth to use in recipes.
Good news, Ron...

I bought a different Rotsserie Chicken tonight at my local grocery store.... and it only has one carb per serving which equals only about 8 total carbs per chicken!

That's much better than the first one I posted! So, I guess the Carb counts vary greatly depending on where you buy it and the marinade.
BIKINIBOUNDINTX Wrote:Good news, Ron...

I bought a different Rotsserie Chicken tonight at my local grocery store.... and it only has one carb per serving which equals only about 8 total carbs per chicken!

That's much better than the first one I posted! So, I guess the Carb counts vary greatly depending on where you buy it and the marinade.

Now that's some good news! So do you buy at a 'local' grocery or a national chain? Do you have a Sam's Club? Sam's is where I normally buy them and they have only one kind --- no choices! However, since you've told us about the options I'll be checking out some other stores and comparing carb counts.

A new Kroger and a new Ingles, both the largest in Tennessee, are opening in my area in early October so they may have some good LC choices on Roti-Chix. Love that name you came up with!
FormerDonutJunkie Wrote:A new Kroger and a new Ingles, both the largest in Tennessee, are opening in my area in early October so they may have some good LC choices on Roti-Chix. Love that name you came up with!
I've wanted to check the ingredients on Kroger's chickens to see if they add sugar to theirs but I guess I'll have to make a trip later in the day sometime if I ever want to do that. I know that Wal-Mart adds sugar to theirs.
FormerDonutJunkie Wrote:Now that's some good news! So do you buy at a 'local' grocery or a national chain? Do you have a Sam's Club? Sam's is where I normally buy them and they have only one kind --- no choices! However, since you've told us about the options I'll be checking out some other stores and comparing carb counts.

A new Kroger and a new Ingles, both the largest in Tennessee, are opening in my area in early October so they may have some good LC choices on Roti-Chix. Love that name you came up with!

I was surprised by the BIG difference on the Carbs! I live in a small town about 45 mins outside of San Antonio. We are pretty limited to where we can shop, but have about 4 grocery stores: HEB (my favorite!), Super Walmart, Super S and Albertsons. The closest Sams or Costco is in San Antonio... not really worth the extra drive these days!

LindaSue Wrote:I've wanted to check the ingredients on Kroger's chickens to see if they add sugar to theirs but I guess I'll have to make a trip later in the day sometime if I ever want to do that. I know that Wal-Mart adds sugar to theirs.

Lindasue,

Look for the Original Flavor Roti-chix.... I think they're probably lower carb, less sauce, less sugar! The main reason I buy them is for convenience and they taste good! Knowing the great cook that you are... you will probably want to cook your own!
BIKINIBOUNDINTX Wrote:
FormerDonutJunkie Wrote:Now that's some good news! So do you buy at a 'local' grocery or a national chain? Do you have a Sam's Club? Sam's is where I normally buy them and they have only one kind --- no choices! However, since you've told us about the options I'll be checking out some other stores and comparing carb counts.

I was surprised by the BIG difference on the Carbs! I live in a small town about 45 mins outside of San Antonio. We are pretty limited to where we can shop, but have about 4 grocery stores: HEB (my favorite!), Super Walmart, Super S and Albertsons. The closest Sams or Costco is in San Antonio... not really worth the extra drive these days!

You remind me of Forest Gump's buddy telling about all the different ways you can fix shrimp! All the flavors you mentioned sounds wonderful to me.

Now I can do what's called 'Beer Can Chicken' on the grill. You basically take an aluminum can with the top cut out of it, fill it with butter, onions, garlic, etc...then insert the can up into the, er...uh...we'll call it the cavity to keep this G. That way the can sits on the grill and the bird is sitting upright...kinda cute...I like to call them the Original Dixie Chix.

You can rub your bird's skin with something if you want to before cooking but these things are as good or better than a Roti-Chix. I'm thinkin' you could probably freeze them for use later.

We may be getting a Costco here in the near future; negotiations are under way with some developers here to try to get them to come to this area.
BIKINIBOUNDINTX Wrote:The main reason I buy them is for convenience and they taste good! Knowing the great cook that you are... you will probably want to cook your own!
Yes, that's one reason why I've never bought a roto-chix but I find that I'm starting to get a bit lazy in my old age, LOL. It's not the cooking that's so much work, it's the cleaning up afterward.
LindaSue Wrote:Yes, that's one reason why I've never bought a roto-chix but I find that I'm starting to get a bit lazy in my old age, LOL. It's not the cooking that's so much work, it's the cleaning up afterward.

I understand completely! I'm a single Mom always on the go!! I don't have much time to cook nor clean!! Do you have HEBs in your Houston area? I love their frozen/HEB brand of Chicken Breasts. They're a little more expensive... okay, a lot more probably. I always keep a bag in the freezer... easy and less expensive than eating out!
FormerDonutJunkie Wrote:You remind me of Forest Gump's buddy telling about all the different ways you can fix shrimp!

Speaking of shrimp.... our local HEB grocery store will steam up fresh shrimp..... love the peel and eat dipped in Butter and garlic! My sister also says that Sam's has a great price on the jumbo frozen shrimp! The raw ones would be great thrown on the grill wrapped in bacon and jalapeno!
BIKINIBOUNDINTX Wrote:
FormerDonutJunkie Wrote:You remind me of Forest Gump's buddy telling about all the different ways you can fix shrimp!

Speaking of shrimp.... our local HEB grocery store will steam up fresh shrimp..... love the peel and eat dipped in Butter and garlic! My sister also says that Sam's has a great price on the jumbo frozen shrimp! The raw ones would be great thrown on the grill wrapped in bacon and jalapeno!

Well, fresh shrimp just ain't to be had this far inland. So you southern Texans got one up on us there. But I just bought some fresh-frozen (???) shrimp a couple weeks ago from Kroger and grilled them with butter, garlic, lemon juice and Tabasco. You can just feel the luv with them babies!

I'll have to check out the jumbos at Sams. And, what a hot idea with the bacon and jalapeno wrapped shrimpers! You speakin' my language now girl. You just know I'm gonna' do something about this!
BIKINIBOUNDINTX Wrote:Do you have HEBs in your Houston area? I love their frozen/HEB brand of Chicken Breasts. They're a little more expensive... okay, a lot more probably. I always keep a bag in the freezer... easy and less expensive than eating out!
Yes, we have HEB here but it's not close enough to be my regular grocery store and it's pretty expensive too. I can usually get a good price on Kroger's bags of frozen chicken breasts. I wait until the three pound bags are on sale for about $4.99 or if they have them buy one/get one free.

They said something interesting about fresh shrimp on America's Test Kitchen a week or so ago. They said that frozen shrimp is often fresher than "fresh" shrimp because it's frozen immediately on the ship when it's pulled out of the water. They said that when you buy fresh shrimp at the store, you have no idea how long it's been sitting around.
Linda, that makes sense about the fresh/frozen shrimp--- thanks for the tip!
I like the frozen ones too because they tend to be peeled and cooked also.... easy is good!!!

Ron.... Do you ever go bird hunting? My ex hubby used to shoot up a fresh batch of Quail ... take the poor little thangs, make a slit under the wings and stuff some jalapeno peppers, then wrap 'em in bacon, throw 'em on the grill--- and the rest is history!
Linda if you are where you can get shrimp pulled from the sea, you are so lucky! All I can find are fresh water shrimp, and I find them less than acceptable. I am sure they are farmed, although they don't say. I used to live in a sea port city, Bremerhaven Germany, and I truly haven't enjoyed sea food here in AZ.
rozi Wrote:Linda if you are where you can get shrimp pulled from the sea, you are so lucky!
I honestly don't know if I can get them that fresh here or not. Shrimp aren't in my budget and I'm really not a huge fan anyway. I don't hate shrimp but I can easily live without it.
Reference URL's
  • The Official Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Forum: http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com/index.php
  • :