2lbs ground pork
1T salt
2t sage
1t pepper
1/2t marjoram
1T brown sugar (I don't put this in)
1/8t crushed red pepper flakes
1/8t ground cloves

Directions: just mix it all up and form into patties.

Notes: I have also mixed the ground pork w/ ground beef or ground turkey
I don't add the brown sugar, but I do like a little sweetness in breakfast sausage. I added 1T vanilla extract to my last batch, that was pretty good. I have added 1t of pumpkin pie spice that was good too. I just got some stevia and am going to try that this weekend.
Dana,

Thanks for posting this. My husband loves pork sausage for breakfast but I get bored with the flavor and my attempts at "crazy" spicing it hasn't worked out so well.
Thanks for the ideas.

Melinda
Thanks for posting your recipe, Dana. Can you tell me if your seasoning blend is similar to what's in store bought pork sausage? That's the flavor that I'm looking for and so far haven't been able to recreate it. I would add some extra fat to my ground pork the next time I try making sausage. I've made it with off the shelf ground pork before and it's a bit too dry for me and doesn't have that fatty sausage consistency that I like.
It is not like Jimmy Dean. I like Jimmy Dean sausage so I am working on trying to figure out those spices. This recipe is like other store bought sausage in my area.

Yes, the ground pork here isn't fat enough either. So I add fat when I grind my own. When I get fat from my butcher to render, I usually freeze some for the purpose of adding to sausage. Beef fat mixed in with the pork sausage is really good!
nyteez Wrote:It is not like Jimmy Dean. I like Jimmy Dean sausage so I am working on trying to figure out those spices. This recipe is like other store bought sausage in my area.

Yes, the ground pork here isn't fat enough either. So I add fat when I grind my own. When I get fat from my butcher to render, I usually freeze some for the purpose of adding to sausage. Beef fat mixed in with the pork sausage is really good!

Dana...here's the TopSecretRecipe.com version of Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sausage.

Top Secret Recipes version of Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sausage

Before he became America's sausage king, Jimmy Dean was known for crooning the country hit "Big Bad John." ......
This clone recipe recreates three varieties of the famous roll sausage that you form into patties and cook in a skillet. Use ground pork found at the supermarket (make it lean pork, if you like), or grind some up yourself if you have a meat grinder laying around for some good old-fashioned fun.

Sage
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent flavor enhancer)

Hot
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)

Maple
16 ounces ground pork
3 tablespoons maple flavored syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)
1/4 teaspoon coriander Combine all ingredients for the flavor of your choice in a medium bowl. Form the sausage into patties and cook in a skillet over medium heat until brown. Makes 1 pound of sausage.

And here is Alton Browns Breakfast Sausage Recipe from FoodNetwork

Breakfast Sausage
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

2 pounds pork butt (2 1/2 pounds with bone), diced into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 pound fat back, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Special equipment: meat grinder

Combine diced pork with all other ingredients and chill for 1 hour. Using the fine blade of a grinder, grind the pork. Form into 1-inch rounds. Refrigerate and use within 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. For immediate use, saute patties over medium-low heat in a non-stick pan. Saute until brown and cooked through, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
Wow! Thanks Ron! I was just doing a search for it, but I am on dial-up today and it is taking forever.

The coriander must be the secret ingredient. LOL! I have tried all the other herbs, but never tried coriander, it is such an odd spice.

I have tried Alton's recipe too. I really like it but DH dosen't like rosemary.
I've tried the Top Secret version and it doesn't taste anything like Jimmy Dean sausage and there weren't nearly enough spices in it. I had to double the amounts just to be able to taste them. I can't remember now if I tried the Sage version or the Hot version but they're both similar. I remember that it tasted like there was some flavor that was missing and it also needed some sweetener. Most, if not all, brands of commercial pork sausage contain sugar and even a tiny bit of Splenda makes a big difference in the outcome.
Well...I long for the days when one could walk into a little country store and they would have fresh homemade sausage in their little meat counter. It had no flashy spices, just the basics and I loved it. Here's a Food Network recipe that sounds like 'just the basics', that's even called Basic Homemade Country Sausage. I haven't tried it but it might make a good starting place. Personally I like a fairly strong sage presence in my sausage and of course some extra red pepper. I have been called a 'chile head' many a time by my friends.
Hi I'm new here, can I ask about the measurements, is capital T a tablespoon and a small t a teaspoon? Sorry if this a daft question. Thanks.
Dr Plum Wrote:Hi I'm new here, can I ask about the measurements, is capital T a tablespoon and a small t a teaspoon? Sorry if this a daft question. Thanks.

Hello Dr Plum and welcome to LLVLC. Great to have you here! And there are no draft questions. Yes, you are absolutely correct...the Capital T is a Tablespoon and the small t is a teaspoon.

Join in on the conversation. This is a friendly little forum where you will learn all kinds of neat things about the Low Carb Nutritional Lifestyle.
This is a great thread, thanks to all of you
Thanks Linda for the heads up! I'll double the spices. I like to be able to taste the spices too. I may just add coriander to my recipe.

Quote:Hi I'm new here, can I ask about the measurements, is capital T a tablespoon and a small t a teaspoon? Sorry if this a daft question. Thanks.

Yes, T=Tablespoon, t=teaspoon
I really like the fact that Alton and the other Food Network Basic Sausage recipe adds 1/2 pound of fat back to 2 pounds of pork. It helps to up ones fat intake but lean sausage is tough sausage.

Pork butts are cheap, sometimes on sale for less than a dollar/pound. They're what I use to make BBQ....smoked pork butts=fantastic. I think they would make good sausage as well.

You can buy a manual meat grinder for around $30 or less like this one at Gander Mountain. You could grind all kinds of meat with this thing. You could grind your own burger patties as well and put the amount and kind of fat you want in them. Just thinking out loud here.

Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Discussion

Reference URL's